GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
yea i would definitely get a seat protector

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
congrats, you will never experience anything better than when you here the first cry as soon as they are born, truly the best life changing experience in the world and you will be amazed at how much you change as well. It's funny how all the stupid and crazy things you used to do change because now it's not about you anymore, so much more to make sure you come home to.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Perfectly said! However, during the first couple of weeks I seriously wondered if I was going to survive, haha.

Now for the atlas... We had a relatively long road trip last summer, and there are very few and far between rest stops with nearly zero clean restrooms for baby changing. Atlas had come out that spring and we checked it out. It gave us the ability (what we were looking for) to stop at a rest stop and put one of the back seats down to change diapers right in the car. My wife and I are both a little on the germaphobic side, so not using gas station changing tables was an absolute must. The Tiguan just didn't have the maneuverability with a seatback down that the atlas has. Our Tiguan was a 14 and was an awesome car we both loved. But, the atlas is awesome for all it's functionality. We can roadtrip with all our luggage, baby's toys and luggage, and still have room to spare.

Nice! My wife's atlas makes life so easy traveling with the kid. She works in healthcare so really hates the public facilities. Our boy is mobile and damn near impossible to keep from touching stuff.

Also, these are the seat protectors we use.

Front: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6944FJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Rear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAB5V3G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

~$42 is a small investment for front and rear seat protection and they match the interior. :D

Thanks! just picked these up for our 2 VWs.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Sorry for photobucket, if it gives anyone problems viewing.

Here's the seat protector I use. Definitely a necessity.

Here's distance between the carseat and rear of the drivers'

Here's how far I keep my seat forward, for reference. You can tell where the center console armrest aligns with the seat.

Here's one more of the distance to front seats

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on your soon to be baby! My wife just gave birth to our first in May. Incredible experience.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
It's funny how all the stupid and crazy things you used to do change because now it's not about you anymore, so much more to make sure you come home to.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Amen! Enjoy this time because its so short. Seems like yesterday that we were shopping car seats, which would be best, fit in our tiny car, and protect him from all potential harm. Now he is driving my old, dumb ass around :D.

colham

Ready to race!
I commented on the original post :)

Congrats on your pending arrival!

My son is now nearly 3, and we’ve gone from the maxi-cosi pebble, to the 2 way pearl, using the same isofix base as we got originally.

ebg18t

Ready to race!
my wife is about 5'2 n we use graco click connect 30 behind passenger and she fits comfortably.

We used the same for our twin boys. We transitioned last summer to Diono Rainer seats as the outgrew the graco’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CDavis7M

Passed Driver's Ed
Just chiming in to say that the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 4-35 Nido (a mouthful) fits fine rear-facing using the base with the load leg extended. There is still enough room for a shorter person to sit in front.

I'm planning to get one of the steel framed Diono's later on based on reviews in this forum and elsewhere.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Rear facing Diono RXT fits OK too. More friendly to whomever is in front of it when front facing, but it's doable if you're not too tall.

--Matt

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I don't have too much to add to the conversation and pretty much agree with most of the commenters.

I'm 5'9" and have our sons convertible Brico seat behind me. I run my seat pretty far forward and have no issues with the large kids seat. If your wife is 5'4" I would imagine you could put the seat behind her and she would still have plenty of room. Before the convertible seat we used a Chicco KeyFit 30 as well with no issues.

I'm counting the days to go front facing so he can stare out of the big sunroof!

summakor

Car(s)
'15 GTI
We've had a MK7 5-door GTI since our son was born and now he's 14mo. I'm 5'10 and my wife about 5'6. We used a Chicco KeyFit 30 system first and now Graco SlimFit convertible seat.

Rear-facing (<1yr) sucks and the basic solution is to put it in the middle and lift the carseat a little (cushion, towel, pool noodle, etc) as needed so the carseat's back is lifted above the rear seatbacks to get you an extra couple of inches (everything's still attached tight with LATCH anchors and recline angle is OK). We're now using the SlimFit seat forward-facing and it can go in any position. It's easier to get the kid in/out in the side position, but it's better for two (petite) adult rear passengers if the kid's on the hump seat, and the kid gets a better view. (he's gotta learn to drive sooner or later) The Chicco Bravo stroller (KeyFit30 system) with the cupholder tray takes up basically the entire trunk laying flat across. Without the tray (trivial to remove/install) it fits easy, even upright (the top is thin, so fits behinds the headrests) and leaves maybe 50% of the trunk floor available. We got a roof rack and cargo box for the occasional planned roadtrip and that takes 20-30 minutes to install and remove.

We're expecting to need the KeyFit30 again early next year for a second child. There are only 4 LATCH anchors so if one seat's in the center (KeyFit30), one will have to belted-in instead of LATCHed, and that's fine. Both models have provisions for belting-in and neither the KeyFit base nor the convertible will be removed often.

Now, about putting double strollers in the trunk... I can say that a 37x30x13" folded bike trailer fits in the trunk (Burley Bee) upright on its side but takes up the entire trunk (maybe you can sneak something behind it). Likewise it's possible to find double strollers around that size but that's ongoing, cutting-edge research right now and a separate post.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
New GTI, Chico Keyfit 30 works in the back great and my wife can sit comfortably in the passenger seat. I haven't tried it myself at 6'2" but could take some pictures.

I got the Keyfit off a recommendation from experienced friends. The base leveling is easy to use, it's fast to move the base between cars, and I can't find any features that it doesn't have.