GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Diffuser/Front Splitter On Track

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I have been eyeing a few different Rear diffusers and front splitters. In particular I have been looking at AeroFab and Maxton but I know there are lots out there. I'm not worried about drilling holes as I plan to keep the car a long time. I already have the Rennwagen spoiler extension (love).

My question is does anyone have experience with these installed doing Track days/autocross? Is there a higher risk of possibly going off track and ripping the front bumper off with a front splitter? Is there any risk of additional damage tracking the car with a rear diffuser? Lastly I know they are just for aesthetics but is there any real aero benefit with either? The car is my daily but I plan on moving it closer and closer to a track toy as time goes on. I love the way the rear diffuser in particular looks.

I would love to hear feedback from people who track their car and have these (or any other exterior modification) installed.

Cheers

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I have the Aerofabb V2 front splitter and Verus engineering rear diffuser. Never had any issues with them on track, however the local tracks near me I only top out at about 120. I think their effect is slight if not negligible. The Verus piece has some real engineering behind it so it probably reduces rear lift a bit and helps the Aerofabb roof spoiler extension piece make a little downforce.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I have the Aerofabb V2 front splitter and Verus engineering rear diffuser. Never had any issues with them on track, however the local tracks near me I only top out at about 120. I think their effect is slight if not negligible. The Verus piece has some real engineering behind it so it probably reduces rear lift a bit and helps the Aerofabb roof spoiler extension piece make a little downforce.
How much does it restrict access to under the car? I plan on doing the DP down the line. Would installing this prior make it more difficult to work on exhaust? I think from the looks of it that it mostly obstructs where the Catback is. Has it ever been in the way when trying to do any kind of work or repair?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
How much does it restrict access to under the car? I plan on doing the DP down the line. Would installing this prior make it more difficult to work on exhaust? I think from the looks of it that it mostly obstructs where the Catback is. Has it ever been in the way when trying to do any kind of work or repair?
With either you won’t have any issue working on the downpipe, unless you plan on doing that job on ramps, where it may be difficult to actually get up the ramps if the car is lowered and has a front splitter (I can’t get up my Rhino ramps with the splitter on). The Verus diffuser is quite large and most notably blocks access to the rear sway bar and rear exhaust hangers, so if you needed to modify/adjust either of those you’d need to remove it.

I should note that Aerofabb makes two rear diffusers - a “street” and “competition” model. The street model won’t interfere with anything. The competition model, which is very similar to the Verus piece I have, will impede as noted above.

6C3C43BE-2529-431A-8D00-402A9C98C2CA.jpeg

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
With either you won’t have any issue working on the downpipe, unless you plan on doing that job on ramps, where it may be difficult to actually get up the ramps if the car is lowered and has a front splitter (I can’t get up my Rhino ramps with the splitter on). The Verus diffuser is quite large and most notably blocks access to the rear sway bar and rear exhaust hangers, so if you needed to modify/adjust either of those you’d need to remove it.

I should note that Aerofabb makes two rear diffusers - a “street” and “competition” model. The street model won’t interfere with anything. The competition model, which is very similar to the Verus piece I have, will impede as noted above.

View attachment 235253
Thanks for your help. Planning on doing RSB soon so I will definitely do that prior to diffuser.
Cheers

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

View attachment 235253
Aerofabb does not make the street diffuser anymore, they only offer their Competition Series now.

@CarlsFirstVW do not get Maxton. Their products are such garbage and break easy. Yeah, they may look good but functionality and durability is shit.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

View attachment 235253

thank you for sharing this info. im going to order this rear diffuser for my golf r now.