GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear differential as a jack point

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Just curious for you R/Alltrack/GSW 4Motion owners -

Can I use the rear differential as a jack point? I've always used the differential as a jack point on every other car I've owned. I noticed on the Project Alltrack video, DAP says they use the rear differential as a jack point.

Thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just curious for you R/Alltrack/GSW 4Motion owners -

Can I use the rear differential as a jack point? I've always used the differential as a jack point on every other car I've owned. I noticed on the Project Alltrack video, DAP says they use the rear differential as a jack point.

Thanks!

It’s cast aluminum.

So, no. I would never use the rear differential on any VW or Audi as a jack point.

Of all the terrible advice coming out of DAP, this is definitely top 5

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It’s cast aluminum.

So, no. I would never use the rear differential on any VW or Audi as a jack point.

Of all the terrible advice coming out of DAP, this is definitely top 5

Well, that's good to know (and slightly depressing). Any other spot I could use to lift the entire rear end up at once?

Also, what is the other terrible advice from DAP? Their video on lifting their GTI looked pretty sketchy to me to be honest.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well, that's good to know (and slightly depressing). Any other spot I could use to lift the entire rear end up at once?

Also, what is the other terrible advice from DAP? Their video on lifting their GTI looked pretty sketchy to me to be honest.

I don’t watch any of their stuff, but I do spend an outrageous amount of time helping people avoid & or correct mistakes they’d make from said videos.

Most common are suspension related (DAP loves impacts, and that’s how you end up with suspension noise and ruined mounts).

I don’t wanna start a whole bash thread, we’ll just leave it at that.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
This practice is left over from the RWD-solid rear axle days. I would definitely say "no" on any car with IRS.

It's an official jack point on Miatas, and I've jacked my Miata and Subaru up by the rear differential and have never had an issue.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I don’t watch any of their stuff, but I do spend an outrageous amount of time helping people avoid & or correct mistakes they’d make from said videos.

Most common are suspension related (DAP loves impacts, and that’s how you end up with suspension noise and ruined mounts).

No worries, I'm just struggling to find a good way to lift this car onto jackstands.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Start a thread about their bad advice. I've used their videos in the past, curious about what to avoid.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
With the correct jack pad, it could be okay. I definitely wouldn't use the standard metal cup on the rear diff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk