GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Brake Fire on track

Phishy

Car(s)
GTI MK7 (TBD)
Hi - Took my car on track yesterday, and brakes caught fire in the first session. See pic.

My Car:
2015 GTI Autobahn (no performance pkg)
Front Rotors: Stoptech
Rear Rotors: Stock
Pads: Hawk HPS 5.0
Lines: StopTech SS
Fluid: Motul 600

I talked with several mechanics on site, and they said it was likely due to traction control being enabled. The Hawk pads are only a few months old and barely worn. I had another issue with the AC Compressor falling apart, and it sidelined us for the day. We didn't get to run again with traction control disabled to test that theory. I haven't had any issues with the brakes before the track, and I drive the car fairly hard on streets.

Has anyone seen ESC causing brake fires?

Thx!

brake fire.jpg

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Definitely stability control/ESC. The system will rely heavily on the rear brakes to try and control understeer/oversteer conditions and can very easily overheat a street pad like HPS 5.0 quickly.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
ESC + pads not suitable for track. Lack of PP doesn't do any favors either (temps will be higher, making it even more important to have a good track pad).

What track? That will also play into how badly the brakes get abused.

FWIW you will NEVER get rotors hot enough on the street to compare to track driving in a 20-30min session. Many people don't seem to comprehend this.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
i will also add as a note for thought: The TCR cars run the 272x10 brakes, but also use track specific pads and no ESC (also very stoppy front brakes for proper braking, but let's focus back brakes for time being). I would recommend emulating that setup.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
i will also add as a note for thought: The TCR cars run the 272x10 brakes, but also use track specific pads and no ESC (also very stoppy front brakes for proper braking, but let's focus back brakes for time being). I would recommend emulating that setup.

IMO not completely relevant - I suspect less weight in the back vs a full interior street car, plus they're running Michelin slicks which mean it's pulling more forward G's, making the rear brakes even less relevant. The car overall has a min weight of 2830lbs WITH driver from what I can find.

That said, I think that the base brakes with aggressive track pads would be just fine. More heat just means you need a higher temp pad.