GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Really bad fuel economy

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Takes my full 10 mile commute for my car to come up to 220F oil temps. I average ~24mpg on mine with a mixed 50/50 city/hwy commute.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
2.5 miles isn't even even far enough to hit 160 in the summer, forget about the cold weather.

You say you get on the highway once a week but for how many miles? 10? You're still going to get bad highway mileage unless you drive for extended periods at consistent speeds.

Go on the highway, 100 miles round trip, then see what kind of fuel economy you can achieve. If it's still really poor then you have something to investigate. Other wise the driving profile you describe makes it seem totally normal that you're getting lower mileage than the sticker rating.

How often do you idle the car? Do you let it warm up for a long time?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
It varies greatly but let's say every 2 weekends I do a trip about 20 or 50mi out, a few hours of cool down, 20 or 50mi back. Much less on the other weekends, so yeah, it's not a great driving profile at all lately. But this will change soon because I do way more road trips / getaways in the winter -- snowboard season is just about to get started! I've got a NJ->VT trip in mid January so we'll see how she does then. Snow tires are about to go on which might bring me down slightly but whatever.

I don't idle or warm up more than necessary. Basically when the RPMs drop from >1K to <1K is when I go, give or take.