GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ReadTheBuildThread

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Traded in the car 2/13/2021 for a CPO Audi S4. Still staying in the VAG family. Picture below.

Thought I'd finally put one of these together for myself and the community since I haven't really tracked what I did, I want to go back through, round it all up and write it down in one place. Everything is linked to where I purchased it from unless it's no longer available or has changed in price considerably.

Gallery of how the car looks/sits right here:
Current Mods
• Tint - SunTek CXP 35% front | 18% rear - Visible in the gallery above
Done at iPro Window Tint in Santa Clara. (Cesar is also the man!)

• DeAutoLED Rear kit, front turn signals, glove box, trunk and red footwells.
DIY install

Eibach Rear Sway Bar - Purchased at AutoAnything
DIY install

• Bilstein B8 Shocks/Struts - Purchased from forum member Hammersticks.
DIY install

H&R OE Sport Springs - Purchased from ProPartsUSA
DIY install

Neuspeed RSe12 - Purchased from NGP Racing

RGM Sillguards - Purchased from NGP Racing
DIY install

SpyTech/VIOFO A119 Dash Cam - Hardwired, and here's how.
DIY install

• Helix Subwoofer - Here's a post outlining the whole process, more or less.
DIY install

• SoundSkins Pro sound/vibration deadening - Purchased locally at Sound Innovations in Union City, CA
DIY install

Diono UltraMat seat cover for the rear seat where I have my son's carseat - I have a post about this here

• HomeLink Mirror 000072548E for '17 GTI Sport- Purchased at my local VW dealer
DIY install

Axmotive (eBay) full replacement DSG paddles - I have a post about this here

• Auto headlight sensor with EuroSwitch - Purchased from AliExpress, original link no longer available.

• Rear plate LEDs - Purchased from AliExpress, original link no longer available.

• Power Folding Side Mirrors - Purchased from AliExpress, original link no longer available.
DIY install/coding following these instructions.

• Replacement Windshield - Not so much a mod, but I didn't replace with factory glass. Detailed post here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40989

• OBDEleven Mods - Gauge sweep, disabled seatbelt chime, disabled door open chime, quad brake lights & dual turn signals, DRL on w/ Turn Signal, throttle response tweak.

• Phone mounting - Gallery Here
ProClip angled dash mount
WizGear Flat magnet mount

• CSS Center Caps for wheels - VW PN: 5G0601171BLYC Cars245 has them currently

• CSS Muffler bought from forum member SonicBloom. Installed 10/12/19.

• CSS-style DSG Shifter Caps - Purchased from AliExpress - DIY Here

• 8" Non-nav MIB II matte screen retrofit (7C0919606) with faux carbon fiber 8” dash trim (5G1819728AFDAR) for the MK7 interior.

• VW OEM extended oil filler tube/cap - Installed 10/17/19. - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=863762#post863762

• Maxton Design rear spoiler - purchased second hand on local CL ad - Installed 10/19/20.

• Low profile cloth rear headrests, - Installed 10/19/20 and converted to red thread - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...read-conversion-for-mk7-interior-bits.379072/

Previous Mods
JST139 4" stainless exhaust tips - Visible in the gallery above and more detailed here: Done at Classic Muffler Service Center in San Jose (Andy Wang is the man!)
• JB1
• JB4
• 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount v2
• Satechi magnetic phone mount (Amazon) Good, non-obtrusive mount, but moving on to a ProClip shortly for a more sturdy fit and something better for CarPlay. Pic here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=693898&postcount=77
EuroCode Tuning Front Sway Bar - Purchased from a forum member. Update 5/15/19: This bar snapped after being installed since November 2017. EuroCode sent me a free replacement: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52361
DIY install

Future/Ordered...
• Ordered: Baun FMIC & Accessport with EQT Stg 1.
• Future: BFI Stage 1 engine/trans/dogbone

812D88DB-83D5-4997-8005-E2869C72F52F.jpeg

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Looks good :cool:

Thanks Jake. I really should have started this from the beginning, but hey, better late than never.

If you're still making parts when I tune, I will most definitely be placing an order :) I love your dedication to being helpful to the community and crafting, by all accounts, awesome parts.

I haven't peeked at the "cosmetic mods" thread you posted lately, but hope your car is back to you soon.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jake. I really should have started this from the beginning, but hey, better late than never.

If you're still making parts when I tune, I will most definitely be placing an order :) I love your dedication to being helpful to the community and crafting, by all accounts, awesome parts.

I haven't peeked at the "cosmetic mods" thread you posted lately, but hope your car is back to you soon.

Thanks man I really enjoy what I do!

I still haven’t started a build thread myself, but my car looks pretty stock (outside of its current state lol). On that note it’ll be good as new soon, just waiting on some parts before I drop it off to get fixed

honestabe1

I daily the car and most of my driving is my commute with my 2 year old in the car. Don’t really need it.

You want it? Works fine and comes with cable. It’s boxed and ready to ship.

I was more interested in the reasons why because I'm personally curious if the platform can support more power without sacrifices, especially regarding daily driving. Seems like it's not worth it to you to the point that you don't even want the extra power... Says a lot. That's good info for me, would rather spend the money on wheels and tires.

How do you like the suspension you currently have?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Car looks great! how do you like the Eibach rear sway bar? when did you install them?
did you notice any noise coming from them and do you have to lube them on regular basis?

Thank you

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Updated original post with Phone Mount photos. Really loving the ProClip base with WizGear combo. Works really well. Need to find a shorter right angle lightning cable though.

Car looks great! how do you like the Eibach rear sway bar? when did you install them?
did you notice any noise coming from them and do you have to lube them on regular basis?

Thank you

Thanks. After doing my suspension there is definitely creaking from the rear, as many experience. Overall I love the setup though.

I was more interested in the reasons why because I'm personally curious if the platform can support more power without sacrifices, especially regarding daily driving. Seems like it's not worth it to you to the point that you don't even want the extra power... Says a lot. That's good info for me, would rather spend the money on wheels and tires.

How do you like the suspension you currently have?

really love the suspension setup except for the creaking I experience that there doesn't seem to be a solution for.

Last edited: