GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***READ: NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS***

psychoboy

Banned
Either way, Its up to Dpham to make judgement on what he and the other moderators think is acceptable. There is a reason he and others are moderators. They run the site and what they say goes, If you dont like the way it is run then join the Vortex "08 Election" thread and go bananas there.

Way to hang from the sack. They don't hand out brownie points on the Internet. :rolleyes:

God forbid people have an argument over something that actually matters.

Totally agree. The problem is that 90% of this board is comprised of kiddies who are oblivious to the state of this country because they are still mooching from mommy and daddy, are your typical vortex dope smokers, or are content with their pizza delivery jobs. When someone <cough> Obama <cough> <cough> promises me that they will take more money out of my paycheck and ding my capital gains with a 100% increase to pay for more social welfare programs, I think it would be something of interest to discuss for the remaining 10% of the board. Those who don't care about politics can move along, just like I don't ever visit any stupid Game threads.

Since no political discussion is allowed, can the mods please be consistent and ask that all political sigs (e.g., Obama banner) be removed.

***On the topic of banning, PLEASE ban those stupid game threads.***

Yes. Allow political discussion or start cleaning up ship for the sake of consistency. That means no more intellectually offensive crap like the stupid game threads, unintelligible posts/poor grammar, ban all swearing, etc. Oh yeah, but please keep the motivational poster thread because I like to get my GTI education, trolling, and humor fill all in one place.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
What is so hard to understand about this? Political discussion is not offered on this forum. If you wish to discuss politics, go someplace where that is offered. If you want a T-bone steak, you would not find it on the menu at Ben & Jerry's.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
why is this still going on?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the feedback everybody. There are valid points being made on both sides of the argument. We've discussed it, as usual a vote was taken (Admin aware), and the majority vote was to temporarily not allow political threads on this site.

To answer a good point that one member brought up: Someone had suggested to allow the political threads, and simply infract or ban those who don't comply. The problem with that is that some of the members that would be getting banned or penalized are long time members who contribute to the greater whole of the forum, that being their car input, that we wouldn't want to see get banned for simply getting worked up in a political debate in an off topic section. Their input is valued elsewhere. After all, this is first and foremost a car forum.

There are plenty of places to speak about politics. We simply ask that you don't bring it up in here right now. We tried more than a handful of times at letting those types of threads pan out, only to find that each time they failed and turned into inflammatory insult threads. My apologies to those who feel they could discuss such a topic in a mature way. Unfortunately a few bad seeds have stopped that from happening here for now. Then again if you fit into the category of being able to discuss things in a civil manner, I'm sure there's plenty of other places you're able to discuss politics.

To those who don't like the game threads; easy...stay out and leave them for those who chose to engage in that type of non-confrontational passive entertainment. And in regard to other threads that some feel may not abide by forum policy, whether it be by trolling, nudity, whatever...simply report them using the report post to mod feature. We appreciate the assistance and evaluate them daily on a case by case basis.

Perhaps a site Admin JJ-R32 said it best:

...We've laid out the rules clearly here. No one ever said forums were democracies. They are privately run communities with community rules and if a member chooses not to abide by the rules and needs to be forcefully removed, they will be.

Lastly, the mods/admins jobs here are not to justify every action taken to keep the forums clean and in order...

The people behind the scenes here work hard at keeping this site an enjoyable and informative place for members to visit. If any one decision being made here is that difficult for some to deal with, with all due respect, there's always the option of going elsewhere for your online entertainment.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
No problem. :thumbsup: I almost closed the thread with my post being the last word. Then I decided to leave it open for discussion...for now anyway. Seems some are already starting to turn this topic into their personal complaints thread.

Eric1285

Ready to race!
To answer a good point that one member brought up: Someone had suggested to allow the political threads, and simply infract or ban those who don't comply. The problem with that is that some of the members that would be getting banned or penalized are long time members who contribute to the greater whole of the forum, that being their car input, that we wouldn't want to see get banned for simply getting worked up in a political debate in an off topic section. Their input is valued elsewhere. After all, this is first and foremost a car forum.

Why not instate temporary bans then, or just ban them from the off-topic subforum? They would still be able to contribute their automotive knowledge on the other suborums.

I agree that banning everyone who gets out of line in a political discussion may be out of line, but you and I both know that there are certain members who have a strong tendency towards inappropriate behavior - permanently banning those members wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I'm glad you guys at least talked about it, and are leaving this thread open for further discussion. I just don't like the idea of limiting discussion in the off topic forum, especially when it has the potential to be so productive.

And yes, if you're going to ban political discussions you should ban all things political. I don't need to see peoples' signatures littered with endorsements.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Why not instate temporary bans then, or just ban them from the off-topic subforum? They would still be able to contribute their automotive knowledge on the other suborums.

I agree that banning everyone who gets out of line in a political discussion may be out of line, but you and I both know that there are certain members who have a strong tendency towards inappropriate behavior - permanently banning those members wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I'm glad you guys at least talked about it, and are leaving this thread open for further discussion. I just don't like the idea of limiting discussion in the off topic forum, especially when it has the potential to be so productive.

And yes, if you're going to ban political discussions you should ban all things political. I don't need to see peoples' signatures littered with endorsements.

+1.

I understand that the mods don't what things getting out of hand all of the time, but it's a shame when some good threads have been closed long before anything has gotten out of hand, while other threads get completely rediculous... like the porsche calling out Nissan has turned into a big name-calling fest. :thumbdown:

Personnally I apprechiate and applaud the work the mods do :thumbsup:, but banning specific topics of discussion in an off-topic section is bit gestapo for my tastes (whether or not it's a topic I would participate in or not).

Yes it is a privately owned forum, and we all choose to join and participate in it. But just as it's been stated, if there's a thread that offends someone, or a topic they don't to discuss, they don't have to read it. Those that choose to be here, and help make this forum be what it is, should be able to discuss any topic they wish. :thumbsup:

Rules on conduct are fine, and obviously neccessary at times. :clap:

Honestly, if I could find another Mark V forum that I liked as much as this one, I would probably be switching... but alas the only real alternative is the tex, and I hate the tex... :bellyroll: :paddle:

MkVBlkMgc

Wir wollen lebensraum!
Car(s)
'08 GTI DSG
I don't agree with, but will abide by the decision of the mods.

Again, it's a shame that adult, political discourse is ruined by the immature actions of the "if you don't think like me, you're wrong" crowd. In a way, this forum has become a microcosm of the way society as a whole deals with politics these days - by seeing who can shout the loudest. Hmmm... Maybe this ban IS for the best.

Anyway, with politics out of the way, that leaves everyone with more time to post in the Motivational Posters thread. As Martha Stewart would say: "That's a good thing".

Lucidity

Marx
I don't get why political discussions are being treaty any differently than any other topic that gets heated and messy. I know you guys are trying to keep the site clean, but you could also just create another section for it, with a disclaimer just as like the versus section.

At the same time I am kind of seeing things your way now. Some will come with evidence and a viewpoint, others just come with blinders and an extreme bias. I would even go as far as to say hatred for the other viewpoint. At this point I'm not sure what is worse, not being able to speak your mind, or having to put up with the people that get in the way of an actual discussion.

Expect to see a crap load of reported posts from me, from now on.

dorn101

Jai Guru Deva Om
This is why my friends and I have a standing unspoken rule amongst ourselves:

"If you like someone, do not dicuss religion and politics."

I think it works great.

I think that should be like the 2nd "golden rule" people teach their kids. :thumbsup:

It can get nasty really quick, and some people are so biased about their opinions. I'm already starting to dislike a couple members based on their response to this thread alone, granted a full debate on politics.