GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reaching operating oil temp before run?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Weird question maybe. When you're at an event like Autocross, how do you get your car's oil up to a safe temp (~180*F) before a run? Do you just turn on the car and let it idle 15-20 min beforehand? It's been so cold lately and I have some events coming up -- I want to make sure I'm giving my car time to warm up but I'm not sure the best way when you're just sitting in a staging area waiting around.

I don't want to overthink it all, but I do want to be safe. I see lots of info about cooling down after a run, but not much about warming up before.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Depending on how your events are run there are options. If you have to move your car from paddock to grid for each run session you may have time to drive around a little to get some heat in the engine, transmission and brakes. In Chicago, out site is large enough to allow cars to sit in grid (two grids, one for each run group) the whole day. I usually just idle the car to warm it up before it's time to run. I tend to drag the brakes on approach to the starting line, do a few hard near stops. Generally that is the first run of the day or session, after that I don't think much about it, other stuff to worry about.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yeah I'll just idle my car for a few minutes, drive to grid, then let it idle until it comes to temp. Usually it doesn't take too long as it's not the first start of the day after a long night of sitting.

What is cold in FL? This morning it was -8° F here...brrr.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah I'll just idle my car for a few minutes, drive to grid, then let it idle until it comes to temp. Usually it doesn't take too long as it's not the first start of the day after a long night of sitting.

What is cold in FL? This morning it was -8° F here...brrr.
We’ve been having some mornings in the 30s which is pretty cold for here. It's enough to extend the typical warm-up time quite a bit. Thanks

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If I run first, I let the car.idle during drivers meeting. If I work first, park at the end of the grid.

worst situation is 2 driver cars go first, and work first. talk to the grid captain and ask for mercy.