GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Re door leak on speaker

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Pretty sure the aftermarket units I installed two years ago went to shit recently. I need to pull the doors to make sure I actually lost just the front two speakers or if the amp channels went. If it is the speakers, I'm going back to stock, lol.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I could write a book about the rear door leaks in my GSW :mad: Here's the short take:
  1. Leaks from speakers, access panel and door panel clips. The gaskets on the speakers were intact.
  2. The VW part number is wrong for the rear door speakers for Mk7.5 GSW S (6-speaker non-premium stereo)
  3. Hopefully zip ties, plastic caps and hot glue will save me from opening up the doors for a 4th time
And the details:
The rear door speaker is PN 16D035710 (full range 7Ω) not 5G0035453J (4Ω woofer, works in front door only) as listed in the parts catalog. They are the same size, but pinned differently and with different impedances. Fortunately the correct part was $12/each at the dealer. I didn't want to glue those cheap housings back together when the replacements were so cheap. I used 4mm rivnuts (thanks @MrE812) instead of rivets, which almost certainly contributed to the problem in the first place.

IMG_9766.JPG

I had leaks from multiple places in addition to the speakers. Unlike some other posters, the gaskets on the speakers were fine. I still can't quite get over how badly engineered this is for a company that has such high standards in general.

IMG_9809.JPG

Both doors had evidence of leaks in the door panel clip hole just above the speaker. The plastic access panel is loose and was a leak source on the left side. I used foil tape to hold it firmly downward. Hopefully that's adequate.

IMG_9820.JPG

I took a guess and added a zip tie over the boot for the door check to act as a drip leg. This seemed to work on the left side, which was dry after the last ~1" rain, but not on the right, where I think I routed more water toward the door panel clip hole below the speaker. (Since adjusted.)

IMG_9808.JPG

I added a cap from a bike chain lube dropper bottle behind the door panel clip hole with hot glue. If the problem recurs I might repeat with all of the holes on the lower part of the doors.

IMG_9819.JPG

Last edited:

cjgti1

Car(s)
7.5 gti
I could write a book about the rear door leaks in my GSW :mad: Here's the short take:
  1. Leaks from speakers, access panel and door panel clips. The gaskets on the speakers were intact.
  2. The VW part number is wrong for the rear door speakers for Mk7.5 GSW S (6-speaker non-premium stereo)
  3. Hopefully zip ties, plastic caps and hot glue will save me from opening up the doors for a 4th time
And the details:
The rear door speaker is PN 16D035710 (full range 7Ω) not 5G0035453J (4Ω woofer, works in front door only) as listed in the parts catalog. They are the same size, but pinned differently and with different impedances. Fortunately the correct part was $12/each at the dealer. I didn't want to glue those cheap housings back together when the replacements were so cheap. I used 4mm rivnuts (thanks @MrE812) instead of rivets, which almost certainly contributed to the problem in the first place.

View attachment 296040

I had leaks from multiple places in addition to the speakers. Unlike some other posters, the gaskets on the speakers were fine. I still can't quite get over how badly engineered this is for a company that has such high standards in general.

View attachment 296043

Both doors had evidence of leaks in the door panel clip hole just above the speaker. The plastic access panel is loose and was a leak source on the left side. I used foil tape to hold it firmly downward. Hopefully that's adequate.

View attachment 296044

I took a guess and added a zip tie over the boot for the door check to act as a drip leg. This seemed to work on the left side, which was dry after the last ~1" rain, but not on the right, where I think I routed more water toward the door panel clip hole below the speaker. (Since adjusted.)

View attachment 296045

I added a cap from a bike chain lube dropper bottle behind the door panel clip hole with hot glue. If the problem recurs I might repeat with all of the holes on the lower part of the doors.

View attachment 296046
Thanks for posting. I'm currently going through this issue.

cjgti1

Car(s)
7.5 gti
Here you can see where the water is coming from. I'm recording with my phone inside the door, pointing towards the door hinge.

Here I added 1/4" air hose to route water away from speaker.
It's not the best but it's what I had at the moment. Not sure what else I can do here. The hose does not interfere with windows operating.

kez

Car(s)
mk7 golf r
Here you can see where the water is coming from. I'm recording with my phone inside the door, pointing towards the door hinge.

Here I added 1/4" air hose to route water away from speaker.
It's not the best but it's what I had at the moment. Not sure what else I can do here. The hose does not interfere with windows operating.

Currently dealing with this issue rn did this fix your issue permanently? My speaker seals are fine but the door access panel is leaking and I can see behind how badly designed the window channels are. Think best bet is to replace the window channels?

Attachments

• IMG_9240.jpeg
    IMG_9240.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9241.png
    IMG_9241.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 20

LII JUR

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 Variant
Did the same job not so long ago.

AmP7sQSurV77F88xwzV2NYS1E2c-1920.jpg