GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Re door leak on speaker

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, just an update , I’ve finally got round to doing the leak on the rear door speaker. I’d just like to give some insight for a novice like me who has to do this job.
There are a few videos on YouTube to watch first, on this subject but this is what I found. The 3 screws to remove first are T27 torx . The plastic screw on the bottom of the door turns 90 degree anti clockwise, then the door card can be pulled off... this is very tight until you get one loose then you can get get some leverage to remove the rest.. the cables are straight forward to remove then the card comes away and you can get down to removing the speaker.... this is where I messed up , I used a drill to small and the rivots started to spin and slightly damaged the speaker mounting holes.. You need a 4mm drill.
I then put silicon on the speaker and started to rivet it back on. But the nose of the rivot gun was to wide, so that made it awkward to get on the rivot square. Replacing the rest is straight forward... hope this helps somebody

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Update on your OP. No need to start a new thread

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mini corndogs is a thing? They don't have a string on them do they?

DSuperPopes

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.6 TDI
Car is Golf Mk7 GTD 2015

Evidence of leak through bottom of rear door speaker:

Leaking speaker.jpg

Fixes:

A. On the door with heavier leak had to:

1) Partially de-tach door panel and prop it with a stick - plse refer to videos elsewhere how to do it.
Door propping.jpg

2) Disconnect short wire to window winder switch, also speaker connection

3) Drill out the 4 rivets and remove speaker – be aware not to break brittle plastic speaker periphery!

4) Clean perished sealant on speaker periphery and door.
Bad seal.jpg

5) Apply a bead of fresh "Windscreen" sealant around speaker and re-attach
Seal make.jpg

Seal on speaker.jpg

6) Rivet speaker back to door, alternatively drill new holes through periphery and door metal and attach with self tappers

7) Apply additional silicon sealant around speaker, especially at the leak prone bottom side.

8) Re-assemble door panel

======================================================

A. On the door with smaller leak, (avoided removing speaker):

1) Partially de-tach door panel and prop it with a stick - plse refer to videos elsewhere how to do it.

2) Disconnect short wire to window winder switch, also speaker connection

3) Using a thin spatula clean perished sealant b/w speaker and door without removing speaker. Try to pull debris out and not pushing them into door which could block the drain holes on door bottom.
Clean old seal.jpg

4) Clean area with white spirit

5) Apply silicon sealant b/w speaker and door by slightly lifting periphery with a thin plastic tool and squirting sealant. Pay special attention to the leak prone bottom side.
20200416_121004.jpg

Sealed with silicon.jpg

6) Re-assemble door panel
Leaking speaker.jpg
Door propping.jpg
Bad seal.jpg
Seal make.jpg
Seal on speaker.jpg
Clean old seal.jpg
20200416_121004.jpg
Sealed with silicon.jpg

MrE812

Car(s)
VW Golf GTD Estate
Just to share my own effort to address this problem.
Fully removed door cards after watching a few Youtube videos and investing in a set of trim removal tools.
Torx T30 bolts out and lower tab swivelled for removal.

Whatever the strange foam rubber stuff is that VW use had completely dissolved !!

I used M4 rivnuts and tiger seal. Just in case I need to remove the speakers again...

Quick check with the watering can and things look good - time will tell.
Took me two weeks to dry out the underlay!!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You need to silicone the cracks and hope it holds.

MrE812

Car(s)
VW Golf GTD Estate
All the cracks were glued from the other side before being refitted.
Yeah, it looks bad but so far no leaks and it's been raining hard here.
I wasn't impressed with the plastic surrounds at all, seemed to be quite brittle.
Fingers crossed eh.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
My driver side rear speaker is doing this on my 2018, coincidentally after they had to get into wiring on that door card during some dealer service (spotty rear window, had to repin canbus wire)

Since then the door leaks and I took it back twice and basically said 'hey wink wink its the speaker seal' and they still havent figured it out. This was right before COVID lockdowns, and im half tempted to do this myself but i want to give the dealer one more shot to properly diagnose and fix this.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

68 lost souls

Car(s)
Mk7 VW GTD hatch
I’ve been troubleshooting this myself and think I’ve found a bigger problem. The speaker seal seals is only one source of the problem there are two others.

The black triangular cover where the door latch cable goes through also leaks at the bottom.

The second issue seems to possibly be the cause of the other two. The rubber strip between the glass panels has drain essentially and water travels down it j to the door to be flushed out the ports at the bottom. The drain however ends just above the door latch mechanism and the water travels along the cable until it meets the plack triangular cover. It then dribbles down the door and comes out either the cover itself or the door speaker.

I haven’t figured out the fix just yet.

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve been troubleshooting this myself and think I’ve found a bigger problem. The speaker seal seals is only one source of the problem there are two others.

The black triangular cover where the door latch cable goes through also leaks at the bottom.

The second issue seems to possibly be the cause of the other two. The rubber strip between the glass panels has drain essentially and water travels down it j to the door to be flushed out the ports at the bottom. The drain however ends just above the door latch mechanism and the water travels along the cable until it meets the plack triangular cover. It then dribbles down the door and comes out either the cover itself or the door speaker.

I haven’t figured out the fix just yet.
This is good info. Did you find a fix?
I had to replace my carpet and insulation myself because the speaker seals let water in and I had mildew under the carpets.
I sealed the speakers. But I noticed there’s still water on the sill in rear doors.
I don’t want to let it ruin my new carpets. What a nightmare this has been. With the card off- water is drizzling out of this spot I circled in red. But with the card on I can’t see if the pin seal is working and therefore water would be traveling up higher…maybe to the door latch like you said?

Attachments

• 5E3C1D87-4E7D-431F-A519-75BB6274B218.jpeg
    5E3C1D87-4E7D-431F-A519-75BB6274B218.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 613
  • 80991458-9708-4C09-B334-519F4F321969.jpeg
    80991458-9708-4C09-B334-519F4F321969.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 612
  • 19AD856F-11DA-4EB1-B92A-34F0D2F57B04.jpeg
    19AD856F-11DA-4EB1-B92A-34F0D2F57B04.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 617

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
I found the second leak! It was here. I had someone spray a hose on it for 5 minutes and it started drizzling out of here. Made a quick video too.

Attachments

• 57327C30-BEB5-4E93-8AFD-55023727A1C9.jpeg
    57327C30-BEB5-4E93-8AFD-55023727A1C9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 304
Last edited: