GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Re-building a pair of 986 calipers...question about seals/boots

boy412

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI (DSG)
Howdy! I am FINALLY getting around to re-building a pair of Porsche 986 calipers that I'm intending to put on my GSW. I'm ordering parts soon and wanted to know if anyone has had success using the StopTech kits? For example, Zeckhausen sells the following kit for the 36mm piston:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=82_1169_1172&products_id=6537

They list it as a rebuild kit in their "Brembo Parts" section but the kit itself says very clearly on it that its for StopTech calipers only. StopTech makes quality stuff, so I'm not concerned there. But if there are compatibility issues I'm OK with buying the Porsche parts.

:)

Thanks!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Can't say I've used those. I used a centric kit when I rebuilt mine (centric & stoptech are both sub-brands of the parent company APC Autotech). I got mine from RockAuto, looks like it's $15/side for new seals / dust boots.

boy412

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI (DSG)
Yeah, these kits have a "Distributed by Centric" label on them.

IMG_1827.jpeg

Can't say I've used those. I used a centric kit when I rebuilt mine (centric & stoptech are both sub-brands of the parent company APC Autotech). I got mine from RockAuto, looks like it's $15/side for new seals / dust boots.

boy412

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI (DSG)
A photo of my new (to me) calipers...because everyone likes photos! They are less red in person and more of a copper color.

Image.jpeg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Can you please say why?
As I understand it the site was created and is run by a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts that just wanted higher quality parts for their tracked Porsches. They started making the parts for themselves then started selling them. I plan on ordering a rebuild kit from them for my Macan calipers.

boy412

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI (DSG)
As I understand it the site was created and is run by a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts that just wanted higher quality parts for their tracked Porsches. They started making the parts for themselves then started selling them. I plan on ordering a rebuild kit from them for my Macan calipers.

Thanks for the additional info. Much appreciated. :)

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
I wish I could remember which piston seals K used when I rebuilt my 986 calipers, I think they were centric. They were light gray in color. Anyway, they didn't want to fit in the caliper very well with the pistons fully compressed.

Also, Textar pads don't seem to last very long with spirited use. Thankfully 986 pad choice is HUGE!

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Also, Textar pads don't seem to last very long with spirited use. Thankfully 986 pad choice is HUGE!

think I had the same problem with textar. What are you using now? I’m currently using akebono hoping they’d last longer and so far so good but brake feel is no as good as it was with OE pads

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
I have EBC Red Stuff. They are a good pad so far but with the ECS 2 piece rotors they squeal occasionally, which is a little irritating.

boy412

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI (DSG)
I wish I could remember which piston seals K used when I rebuilt my 986 calipers, I think they were centric. They were light gray in color. Anyway, they didn't want to fit in the caliper very well with the pistons fully compressed.

Hmmm. Did you end up using them or did you use something else? I'm going to give these a shot...since I have them on hand.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Hmmm. Did you end up using them or did you use something else? I'm going to give these a shot...since I have them on hand.

I used them. 20k on 'em so far. no problems. They seal fine AFAIK. Just an FYI, if they protrude a bit it's not installation error.