GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RB's 2.0TDI SE Urano Grey + Madrid Alloys

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Delivery day showing the outgoing and incoming vehicles...

Items already fitted - LED number plate lights, chrome exhaust trims, Brodit mount, uprated Philips headlight bulbs.

Tints being done tomorrow so hopefully get some more pics once these have been done (weather permitting).

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Looking good Jon.

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Looking good Jon.

Cheers Rob - very happy so far - the infotainment system is light years ahead of the one in the MK6. The whole car has a 'quality' feel to it. Yet to give it a blast, but on the short journey I did picking up youngest from school, very smooth and even got used to the auto hold and the electric parking brake (very odd having all the space available now where the handbrake was).

So far so good :).

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Quick update, had the tints done today 35% on the rear and boot, so basically same as the factory tinted glass. Really liking the look, will probably debadge the rear I think to for a cleaner look. Pics at some point over the weekend :).

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Updated pics following tints, debadge and exhaust trim fitting.

Last edited:

GC854

Ready to race!
It's looking mean Jon, I do like your tweaks. Hope you've had time to enjoy the car too :)

redbutcher

Ready to race!
It's looking mean Jon, I do like your tweaks. Hope you've had time to enjoy the car too :)

:D - thanks. Yes, had a longer drive in her today and absolutely chuffed to bits with it. Kept forgetting I had 6 gears and not the normal 5 I've been used to for the last 4 years :rolleyes:.

redbutcher

Ready to race!
320 mile round trip today which gave me a chance to play with the ACC. Quite like it, though idiots then pull in front of you where the gap is and the anchors are applied and you start again.

Got 56mpg which isn't too bad I thought considering I was giving it some beans a bit every now and then.

One thing I couldn't sort was the contacts on the phone. Are the contacts on the phone only available from the main unit? On my old mk6 you could press the down arrow when in phone mode on the steering wheel controls to access the contacts. If I press up or down when in phone mode I only get recent calls and not the contact list. If anyone can shed any light on that front, greatly appreciated.

So my first long journey and a very pleasant one in the mk7. Shame the M25 was still as bad as ever.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Just spotted this - wow car looks great Jon! Love the wheels too and its good to see a different colour combination - it works really well - seems liek you are happy!

One thing I couldn't sort was the contacts on the phone. Are the contacts on the phone only available from the main unit?.

Yes thats correct - no contacts on MFD screen now - it seems like a retrograde step....

Well done for getting on with some subtle mods - just added LED vanity lights today - nice and easy but effective!

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Just spotted this - wow car looks great Jon! Love the wheels too and its good to see a different colour combination - it works really well - seems liek you are happy!

Yes thats correct - no contacts on MFD screen now - it seems like a retrograde step....

Well done for getting on with some subtle mods - just added LED vanity lights today - nice and easy but effective!

Thanks Mark! Yes very happy :). Definitely seems a backward step re phone contacts, oh well. Full LED interior does make a difference. Few tweaks with VCDS to play with and then the rear camera to retrofit and that will probably be it in terms of mods for me I think.

GC854

Ready to race!
Glad you enjoyed your first long trip Jon. I agree with you concerning the phone access as it is never a good thing to have to take your eyes off the road to look down at the main screen. I have stopped making calls to anyone who doesn't feature on my favourites list - although taking calls is no issue.

That was a good mpg you achieved - guess that M25 must have been fairly slow :(

redbutcher

Ready to race!
I think the mpg would have been a lot better if there hadn't been a lot of stop/start on the M25.

Real shame re the phone contacts, will just have to say to work to phone me as I won't be phoning them.

redbutcher

Ready to race!
A few VCDS tweaks done at lunchtime today:-

Used gallons since fill up
Auto rain closure
Alarm beep on lock
Lowering passenger mirror when reverse gear selected (and mirror position set to L)
Automatic Coming Home activated (yet to test it though)

All coding taken from the stemei.de website.

redbutcher

Ready to race!
6k mile marker

So, today the motor hit the 6k mile mark very nearly 4 months ago exactly since I took delivery (27th March). So far it's been trouble free motoring and the car still makes me grin when I put my foot down (yes I know it's 'only' 150ps, but coming from 105ps, that's a nice increase).

Ride is very comfortable and I think I've finally got the auto hold sussed so it doesn't spring any surprises on me. Interior quality is far better than the MK6 in my opinion and it feels more like a 'quality' package than the MK6.

Long term fuel economy over the last 2551 miles is coming up at 51.3 mpg according to the driving data on the MFD at an average of 35 mph (that'll be due to town driving and being stuck on the M1/M25 in traffic :rolleyes:).

Economy is much better than that on a long run, assuming a constant speed is kept at and I normally see high 50s/low 60s doing a motorway run.

In terms of an 'overall' package, I definitely feel the MK7 is an improvement over the MK6.

If I was to order now, I'd go the revised Match spec to take advantage of the additional toys included for the same price as my SE. Yes, I'd love a GTD, but my company car budget doesn't stretch to that so I feel a Match is a good compromise especially as I have no desire for built in Sat Nav (phone does the job and I can take it with me).

Anyway, another 4k until the magic 10k mile marker, so I expect I'll be posting an update in just under 3 months, though could be sooner with the mileage likely to increase thanks to holiday season and work getting busier :D.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure you can browse the previous received/made calls list from the MFD and call those back, and I think you can select different lists, including the favourites list.