GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattles!!

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
I have to book my GTI in for some warranty work on the air-con system, recirculation vent is making a noise on closing, and I need some rattles sorted out.

What luck have you folks had with rattles? What is acceptable and what isn't?

I have a distinctive rattle in the driver's door, under the driver's seat, intermittent rattle in the sunroof and when driving on bad roads or hitting harsh bumps the whole rear interior seems to move.

Anyone had similar issue and had them fixed, or am I going to be told by the dealer that this is all "acceptable".

Appreciate your input...

Androo

lolwut... ??
lol

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
wth man??

Nick, if you're not happy, I'd go in and get it looked at anyway. It can't hurt just to try. And even if they say its normal, you could always take it somewhere else. Just be nice about it and tell them you're not happy.

It was just like with my fuel pump noise I had. Took it in, they said they fixed it, but I said no its not and I was nice about it, and now its booked in again to have the problem looked at again.

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Just got told the air-con noise is "normal"....I how can it be normal if I never heard a sound for 6 months and now it does it all of a sudden.

Am taking the car down today to have a chat to them about it at the dealer's invitation.

Was just keen to get some feedback from other people.

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
Nick...see if they have a similar mileage vehicle in the used car section (compared to yours). See if the aircon makes the same noise.

My dealer has tried very hard to reduce/remove rattles and poor panel alignment. Nothing is too difficult for them. And when they can't do anymore....it's a very sad face that the Service Manager shows. They really do try hard to keep you happy. Hopefully your dealer has the same Customer Service attitude.

Androo

lolwut... ??
wth man??

I just find it funny how new cars rattle more than a 7 year old car does. They certainly don't make them like they used to!

My brothers GTI (buying of him) had lots of rattles, which he took back and got fixed, my gf's neighbours brand new BMW 325i Coupe rattles more than my 330ci and i thought i had some rattles!

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
I just find it funny how new cars rattle more than a 7 year old car does. They certainly don't make them like they used to!

My brothers GTI (buying of him) had lots of rattles, which he took back and got fixed, my gf's neighbours brand new BMW 325i Coupe rattles more than my 330ci and i thought i had some rattles!
they just dont make them like they used to...............

:)

Maverick

Go Kart Champion

Maybe to do with the huge amount of wiring to support all the electronic gadgets around the car whilst the manufacturer has to keep weight to a minimum whilst also maximising space inside the car and whilst keeping down production costs by making everything easy to assemble.

And then add in the firm suspension on the GTI with low profile tyres on our crap roads and rattles are a given. And tint and stereo installs can also introduce more rattles.

Luckily the few that I had were quickly sorted by the dealer and I haven't had any problems since then.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
James's Easy Rattle solution:

Volume = 10 :biggrin:

SR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MY08 R32 5Dr 6Spd
they just dont make them like they used to...............

:)

Hi T,

I guess it depends which make. My R32 used to rattle a fair bit (which I have managed to repair myself with some blu-tak of all things. I don't really rate modern BMW interiors either (except for 5 series and up).

Our S3 doesn't rattle AT ALL. That thing is bullet proof when it comes to interior quality.

Steve.

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
Hi T,

I guess it depends which make. My R32 used to rattle a fair bit (which I have managed to repair myself with some blu-tak of all things. I don't really rate modern BMW interiors either (except for 5 series and up).

Our S3 doesn't rattle AT ALL. That thing is bullet proof when it comes to interior quality.

Steve.
hahah Steve, I was referring to all the old bombs!! Those things were tanks!!

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Hi T,

Steve.

Knew I should have gone the S3....damnit!! :mad0259:

SR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MY08 R32 5Dr 6Spd
Knew I should have gone the S3....damnit!! :mad0259:

Nick as stupid as it may sound, open up your entire interior (carefully) and place blu-tak EVERYWHERE. It gets rid of most of them. Especially the dash vent rattle.

Worth a shot. Its worked for me (and I drive over those annoying tram tracks every day)

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
James's Easy Rattle solution:

Volume = 10 :biggrin:

or just have you in the car with me.
driving in the car last night with James G listening out for the rattled they all of a sudden dissappeared! this morning on my way into work they were back :mad:

one of the guys in my office has an 06 A3 2.0 TDI. i drove it the other day and there was not ONE interior rattle. it also had 80,000 on it :cry: