GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattle/buzzing letting go off throttle between 2-3k RPM

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Alright, I need to confirm with everyone this is the infamous fuel line rattle before I do anything to it. Just broke 1k miles in my car, replaced oil since car had been on the lot for a year (508 approved, 0w20). Today took the car for my first spirited drive. Immediately after a couple of pulls (nothing hard, not WOT, not redlining), started hearing this rattle/buzzing noise around 2-3k RPM when letting go off throttle. The noise immediately disappears if I step on the gas, and starts immediately when letting go off throttle if its between those RPM ranges. It's loudest closer to 2.5k RPM, lowest between 2.6k - 3k RPM. The noise 100% comes from the passenger side.

Here's the video of it, please ignore my hand on the video:
(You can really hear it in the first 30 seconds, if it goes quiet is because I stepped on the accelerator. After the 30 seconds I put the RPM a little higher so I could hear the difference, but the camera did not pick it up).

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Was the car test driven by a single mother? She might have left a toy behind....

In all seriousness, it's probably something small rattling like the slider cover inside of the armrest or possibly a piece of trim. Start looking around for anything in the interior that's loose

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Was the car test driven by a single mother? She might have left a toy behind....

In all seriousness, it's probably something small rattling like the slider cover inside of the armrest or possibly a piece of trim. Start looking around for anything in the interior that's loose
I really don't think that's the case unfortunately. It'd make sense if the noise was always happening, but since its only happening when I let go off throttle, I think its something else.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
It's worth checking for. Interior rattles have been a known thing with these cars for a while. Check for anything that's loose inside the glovebox too.
I'll check. I know its not the glovebox. I removed everything and held it while it was making the noise to see if it'd go away, it didn't. Wasn't the seat belt either. Held the seat too, nothing. Turned off soundaktor too, nothing.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
If you extend the center armrest all of the way and then open it, you can see a small slider/dust cover in there. A lot of people have had to remove it due to it causing a buzzing sound. You could also check underneath the passenger seat to see if anything is loose there too.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
2019, 6MT owner here. My car had this similar noise. Tried the fuel line rattle fix, but it didn't help. It ended up being the passenger side seat belt. The dealer had to replace it under warranty.

Here was mine :

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
2019, 6MT owner here. My car had this similar noise. Tried the fuel line rattle fix, but it didn't help. It ended up being the passenger side seat belt. The dealer had to replace it under warranty.

Here was mine :
Did the noise go away if you held the seat belt? When I did that to mine, sound continued. Do you know what specifically of the seat belt was causing it?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure, I actually never tried holding it. Once they confirmed it was the seat belt, they ordered the part and replaced it within a few days. I was skeptical that the new seat belt assembly would actually fix it, but it did and now I am rattle free in that area of the car.

Edit : To clarify, it wasn't the by the seat belt buckle. They replaced the assembly in the B-pillar area.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I'm not sure, I actually never tried holding it. Once they confirmed it was the seat belt, they ordered the part and replaced it within a few days. I was skeptical that the new seat belt assembly would actually fix it, but it did and now I am rattle free in that area of the car.
Glad to hear that. I might mention it to the dealership when I stop there.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Glad to hear that. I might mention it to the dealership when I stop there.

Good luck. I had to take my car back twice for them to solve this. I even mentioned the fuel line issue, to which they were unaware of.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
It's hard to hear from your vid, but if it sounds like a small buzzing insect near your passenger door, check the arm rest first. It took me weeks to finally notice the noise went away with arm rest all the way forward and came right back if I reversed it. Then it went away forever when I tore the liner thing out from under it.

I'd have sworn on Uncle Sam's nipples the noise was coming from somewhere much further away. I wasted an hour stuffing lubed up insulation noodles (that's what she said) into the fuel line tunnel thing. That wasn't it.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Wife drove the car for me while I searched for the noise. It comes directly from this area. Whatever it is, its under that (or under the car). Trying to figure out where the fuel line is to see if thats it.

IMG_20200801_170656_LI.jpg