GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator coolant

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I looked at my radiator coolant om my 5 month old rabbit and it is between min.and max.I don't know if it missed doing the pdi.If it was topped up then is it possible I have a leak.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
mark it with a sharpie (use your normal parking spot and on cold car). keep an eye on it. Between min/max is good.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it will vary with air and engine temp.....not rocket fuel....in the middle is good. on the low end if warm is worth noting.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mine is almost always below min. I added a couple cups last year and it immediately dropped below min after my next drive. There's no leak, no coolant in my oil changes, and no coolant smell. You will be fine.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Just watch it. These cars may well leak. I can't believe none of these regular posters has specifically brought up the faulty thermostat seals/housings these cars have.

Top it up cold and see what happens.

I've owned 3 MK7s, 2015, 16 (sold), and 17. All three have experienced coolant loss and were found to be weeping slowly from the thermostats. My service advisor, said to me that the part was not made to spec, they've seen a ton fail, called it a "supplier issue" and stated there was a revised part.

With the revised part in my 2017, I still experienced a failure. Dealership stated that the oil cooler seal failed and hot oil was coming onto the replaced thermostat/seal causing it to fail as well. I never smelled any burning oil, but I can't see in where that area is so I don't know if it was BS or what. Oil cooler parts were used in my repair per the paperwork. Who knows.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I would think with all of the water pump/ thermostat housing failures that the aftermarket would come up with a metal housing that would not leak and last the life of the VOLKSWAGEN.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Gee, I wonder why they put those Min/Max markings there if the level should be somewhere else?

Yeah I was wondering what the worry was as well... For once I held off on making a smartass comment haha!

cb1111

Yeah I was wondering what the worry was as well... For once I held off on making a smartass comment haha!
Yeah. Especially considering it is a new car and the OP even mentioned that he had no idea what the dealer filled it to during PDI.

My first step would have been to mark the level (I'd use blue painter's tape so as to not leave a permanent mark) and watch it over time.

Of course I'd mark it when cold and only check it cold. But then I'd also realize that this isn't a completely sealed system and a bit of coolant will evaporate with time and changes in outside temps, so it isn't unusual to top of a bit every half year or so.