GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator broken? after BMS intercooler install

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thought id provide an update:
It was not the radiator, but in fact the radiator hose. It rubbed against the pulley and had a hole cut into it. The dealer charged my 600 bucks to replace the hose :mad:.almost 200 bucks for the hose when the MSRP is 115, but that's another issue. They also blamed my o34 pendulum mount and used that to deny my warranty claim. (again another story).

Once i picked up the car i used some zip ties to try and secure the radiator in case it came loose again. I am glad i did, because last night it came back out. I have asked George at BMS if i can return the version 1 I have and swap it for their corrected version 2. So far its been about a week and he is running it up to his higher ups. If that doesn't work, I am going to try and JB weld the clips in place. I like to drive the car on the track, and i really cant do that if the zip ties are the only things keeping it safe. Hopefully BMS resolves the issue. I think asking for the corrected version is fair all things considered.

I am pretty bummed right now about the whole situation. I feel like i should have just spent the money and gone APR. With the repair cost, it would have been cheaper over all.

It sounds like an install problem. Assuming you bought the V1 IC at the discounted price because of the fitment issues, you should have taken more care with the install. As mentioned prior, some shaving of the radiator clips needed to happen, as well as probably putting screws through the IC in to the radiator/IC mounts. I hope you get this resolved and they make it right, but I want to set your expectation. The IC and radiator mount well if installed correctly.

04lss

It sounds like an install problem. Assuming you bought the V1 IC at the discounted price because of the fitment issues, you should have taken more care with the install. As mentioned prior, some shaving of the radiator clips needed to happen, as well as probably putting screws through the IC in to the radiator/IC mounts. I hope you get this resolved and they make it right, but I want to set your expectation. The IC and radiator mount well if installed correctly.

I should note that i bought the V1 back last march. It was only installed in December because i was waiting until i could get my hands on the IS38 turbo and do both at the same time. I admit i didnt go back and troll the forums about it before the install so I didn't realize the issue. (that is my fault for not doing more research) I honestly didn't even realize there was a version 2 until this thread. I used the BMS install guide from their website which doesn't mention needing to do any modifications. If i had known, I 100% would have.

Install notions aside, is there a thread for these modifications that make it work? The only one that i have been linked to is 30 pages long and filled with general info about the IC.
on another note, from what i can tell shaving the clips wouldn't solve the issue. The upper clip with the retaining ledge is too low for it to catch on anything. The only way i can see it being secured is by gluing it, using a wire/ screw on the back side of the clip once its through the holes.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You may find various methods in the Magic/Majesty IC thread on here.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I should note that i bought the V1 back last march. It was only installed in December because i was waiting until i could get my hands on the IS38 turbo and do both at the same time. I admit i didnt go back and troll the forums about it before the install so I didn't realize the issue. (that is my fault for not doing more research) I honestly didn't even realize there was a version 2 until this thread. I used the BMS install guide from their website which doesn't mention needing to do any modifications. If i had known, I 100% would have.

Install notions aside, is there a thread for these modifications that make it work? The only one that i have been linked to is 30 pages long and filled with general info about the IC.
on another note, from what i can tell shaving the clips wouldn't solve the issue. The upper clip with the retaining ledge is too low for it to catch on anything. The only way i can see it being secured is by gluing it, using a wire/ screw on the back side of the clip once its through the holes.

If you paid full price for your V1 IC, you may have a case. If you paid the discounted price of like $375, you may have no case with BMS.

You put set screws from the side in the area where the radiator gets in to the IC. Put a self tapping screw right through the side of the IC and through the black plastic of the radiator. That's how mine is installed and it's not going anywhere. A few others have done the same.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you paid full price for your V1 IC, you may have a case. If you paid the discounted price of like $375, you may have no case with BMS.

You put set screws from the side in the area where the radiator gets in to the IC. Put a self tapping screw right through the side of the IC and through the black plastic of the radiator. That's how mine is installed and it's not going anywhere. A few others have done the same.

Seriously? If you got a discounted price it voids the warranty? From a legal standpoint that isn't true unless it said no warranty.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Seriously? If you got a discounted price it voids the warranty? From a legal standpoint that isn't true unless it said no warranty.

No, if you get it at a discounted price, you don't get a replacement V2 intercooler that fits "properly". This is an install problem, not a intercooler problem. If he paid full price for the IC, BMS will likely refund him some money or work something out with him. If he paid the discounted price, I don't see why BMS is required to give him a V2 IC to "make it right".

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Thought id provide an update:
It was not the radiator, but in fact the radiator hose. It rubbed against the pulley and had a hole cut into it. The dealer charged my 600 bucks to replace the hose :mad:.almost 200 bucks for the hose when the MSRP is 115, but that's another issue. They also blamed my o34 pendulum mount and used that to deny my warranty claim. (again another story).

Once i picked up the car i used some zip ties to try and secure the radiator in case it came loose again. I am glad i did, because last night it came back out. I have asked George at BMS if i can return the version 1 I have and swap it for their corrected version 2. So far its been about a week and he is running it up to his higher ups. If that doesn't work, I am going to try and JB weld the clips in place. I like to drive the car on the track, and i really cant do that if the zip ties are the only things keeping it safe. Hopefully BMS resolves the issue. I think asking for the corrected version is fair all things considered.

I am pretty bummed right now about the whole situation. I feel like i should have just spent the money and gone APR. With the repair cost, it would have been cheaper over all.
600$ LOOLLLL. That is ridiculious

Ok so both of my had done that. the CTS barely even stayed in and the majesty is just lol. Take some mechanics wire. Take some pliers and pull up a tab of metal off the radiator to use as a crimp on the wire and just wrap and twist it all together.

It will stay tight and much better than epoxy/weld.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, if you get it at a discounted price, you don't get a replacement V2 intercooler that fits "properly". This is an install problem, not a intercooler problem. If he paid full price for the IC, BMS will likely refund him some money or work something out with him. If he paid the discounted price, I don't see why BMS is required to give him a V2 IC to "make it right".

I missed that he wanted to get the V2 IC.