GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radar detector

cb1111

I don't know what most here use, but the last time I got tagged about 5 years ago it was with lidar, which a radar detector won't do shit for.

View attachment 206825
Over 80 in VA is reckless driving. Depending on where you get tagged, you might end up spending the night in jail. Reckless is a mandatory court appearance and the judge could impose immediate jail time - so don't drive yourself to court.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Radar detectors are more or less useless. Instant on will eventually get you. Use the force and you'll do fine. Eyes peeled, analyze every vehicle, and don't speed over a rise or curve where you can't see ahead.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Lots of locals using Constant On around here. Most drive with it on all the time. Most of the staties run laser now, not radar, and I've never seen a local use instant on around here. Between a detector with good BSM filtering and some laser jammers I'm decently well protected. Doesn't mean I don't still use Waze and keep my eyes peeled, it just adds layers of protection.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I don't know what most here use, but the last time I got tagged about 5 years ago it was with lidar, which a radar detector won't do shit for.

View attachment 206825
There are several radar detectors that also have lidar detectors built in. Valentine, Uniden, etc. make them. Since lidar is so much quicker than radar, it really comes down to reaction time. As quick as it is it's not instant, so you have a split second to get on the brakes. Speaking from experience here. The thing with lidar is that it has to be aimed at specific spots that are reflective. LEO's are taught to aim at the headlights, grill, etc. Basically a flat surface on the front of the car with a high chance of reflecting the light. If you're far enough away, a sudden movement like braking or steering can throw off their aim and buy you a split second to slow down.

Radar detectors are more or less useless. Instant on will eventually get you. Use the force and you'll do fine. Eyes peeled, analyze every vehicle, and don't speed over a rise or curve where you can't see ahead.
They're far from useless. They're a tool that takes some skill to use effectively. Get a good one and learn to use it well and you significantly reduce your chances of getting a ticket. Another thing to consider is how the radar gun works. Even instant on guns aren't perfect. You still have a split second to get on the brakes. If you're coming up to a blind crest and getting multiple hits for radar, then just ease off the throttle and cover your brakes.

Reactions: krs

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Over 80 in VA is reckless driving. Depending on where you get tagged, you might end up spending the night in jail. Reckless is a mandatory court appearance and the judge could impose immediate jail time - so don't drive yourself to court.
What does that have to do with either the OP (Egypt) or RI (ticket)?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
A good detector (there are many poor ones), properly configured (via settings, most all aren’t) will pay for itself many times a year in most US locations. Coincidentally my Uniden R3 did exactly that today.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
They're far from useless. They're a tool that takes some skill to use effectively. Get a good one and learn to use it well and you significantly reduce your chances of getting a ticket. Another thing to consider is how the radar gun works. Even instant on guns aren't perfect. You still have a split second to get on the brakes. If you're coming up to a blind crest and getting multiple hits for radar, then just ease off the throttle and cover your brakes.
They give you a false sense of security. Sure they will "save" you from time to time. But get too comfy and any talented cop will nail you with instant on. I have better luck using common sense and Waze, especially on the interstate.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
It’s another tool in the box if you have it. Of course it can’t save you if you don’t have one.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
They give you a false sense of security. Sure they will "save" you from time to time. But get too comfy and any talented cop will nail you with instant on. I have better luck using common sense and Waze, especially on the interstate.

Complacency with anything will get you. Waze is useless in my area, as it's not a heavily used app, so what might be the only solution for you, isn't for some.

The radar detector I use is very advantageous for the several states I frequent, as well as being paired with their phone app can provide more than jus. It will updated based off other factors, traffic accidents, slow downs, etc. It's a another tool to use, just like any other feature in your car.

The older POP radar, or the newer I/O radar is quick, but if you're with multiple cars in the area the user still has to narrow down who the offender is. It's not as narrow as lidar, or laser which is able to target a specific car.