GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racingline VWR Sport Damper Set Install Questions

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
About 2 months ago, I installed a set of VWR springs on my GTI. Now, I ordered a set of the VWR sport damper to go with them. I want to make sure I have everything for the install, tool wise. Does anybody know if the front strut nut is a 21mm nut with a 7mm hex to hold it, like the OEM strut? I know some aftermarket struts use 22mm nuts. When I did the spring install on the stock struts, I :censored: used an impact to tighten it down :censored: but want to do this install with proper torque specs all around. I can't find any installation documentation anywhere that would lay out which sizes they are. Thanks.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Jake had a clean install thread with all the parts and torque specs a couple of months back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I've read that the Racingline Sport kit are just fixed, non-adjustable Koni Yellow's. Which if that's the case, it looks like the Koni's use a 21mm strut nut/7mm hex to tighten. We'll see when they come in.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
So I've read that the Racingline Sport kit are just fixed, non-adjustable Koni Yellow's. Which if that's the case, it looks like the Koni's use a 21mm strut nut/7mm hex to tighten. We'll see when they come in.
Sorry, I was looking for the official VWR instructions all morning. I couldn't find anything.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sorry, I was looking for the official VWR instructions all morning. I couldn't find anything.

No worries, thanks. I like to think I'm pretty decent at searching before posting for help. I looked all over yesterday and couldn't find them either.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just updating this so if others find it in the future, it has the answers in it.

Strut nut on the VWR dampers isn't 21mm, it's 22mm in the front, with a 6mm allen. 17mm strut nut for the rears. My strut nut socket was 21mm, but luckily was able to use my O2 sensor socket to tighten them.

axsys

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Just updating this so if others find it in the future, it has the answers in it.

Strut nut on the VWR dampers isn't 21mm, it's 22mm in the front, with a 6mm allen. 17mm strut nut for the rears. My strut nut socket was 21mm, but luckily was able to use my O2 sensor socket to tighten them.

Thank you for the tip on the O2 sensor socket, it worked perfectly for me without buying any additional tools. My front VWR struts took a 7mm Allen wrench FWIW.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
@Acadia18 @axsys how are you VWR dampers holding up after a few years? Looking to pair some with my existing VWR Sport Springs and having trouble finding any long term reviews.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@Acadia18 @axsys how are you VWR dampers holding up after a few years? Looking to pair some with my existing VWR Sport Springs and having trouble finding any long term reviews.

I'm two cars past that unfortunately. But it was fine for me for the year I had it, and as far as I know it's holding up perfectly fine for the next owner.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I'm two cars past that unfortunately. But it was fine for me for the year I had it, and as far as I know it's holding up perfectly fine for the next owner.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply!

One other question if you don't mind, since I've seen conflicting specs online... was the drop the same with the VWR springs + stock shocks as it was with VWR springs + VWR shocks? I would assume so, but I've seen different specs on different websites, for example I've seen the springs alone say 20-25mm drop on some websites and 30-35mm on some websites, and VWR's own website says 20-30mm for the GTI. Oddly enough the VWR "cup kit" that comes with both dampers and springs says a 15-25mm drop on some websites.

I feel like with my stock shocks it's definitely on the more aggressive end (can only fit one finger between the tire and fender) and I am hoping that drop would stay the same if I get the VWR dampers.

Not sure if you'll be able to answer that, but thought I'd ask since not many people seem to have this setup!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Gotcha, thanks for the reply!

One other question if you don't mind, since I've seen conflicting specs online... was the drop the same with the VWR springs + stock shocks as it was with VWR springs + VWR shocks? I would assume so, but I've seen different specs on different websites, for example I've seen the springs alone say 20-25mm drop on some websites and 30-35mm on some websites, and VWR's own website says 20-30mm for the GTI. Oddly enough the VWR "cup kit" that comes with both dampers and springs says a 15-25mm drop on some websites.

I feel like with my stock shocks it's definitely on the more aggressive end (can only fit one finger between the tire and fender) and I am hoping that drop would stay the same if I get the VWR dampers.

Not sure if you'll be able to answer that, but thought I'd ask since not many people seem to have this setup!

Yeah, I didn't notice much of a drop from going from stock shocks with 60k on them to new Racingline ones. Very OEM like.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Finally collecting parts / tools to do this install (VWR dampers + VWR springs).

Do I need a strut nut socket for the rears, too? Or just the fronts? As in a 22mm and 17mm, or just the 22mm?

Also, do I need a 21mm strut nut socket to get the stock ones apart, or is it more about the torquing down that it's needed?

First time at this, so any advice is appreciated!