GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

tazswing

Car(s)
MK7.5 R manual
Did you need to fit longer lines with that taller core?

Lines were those provided with the kit. I did change to the superior fitting banjo-style ends on the core and changed one of the hose ends to a straight fitting.

It does take bunch of time to get it to all line up. I put the stack together on the oil housing side, attached the lines and ran them down to about where the core will be. Then just fiddle fiddle. There is a landmark on the MK7 and MK7.5 bumper beam that helps: you can only move the core so far to the right before running into a shape on the beam that will not allow the core to sit flat any longer (this is noted in several places). I got the core as close to that landmark as I could without running too much into the side air ducts, then worked the angle to have max purchase on mounting points. Two hands help for the mock-up.

I also foamed the edge of the core so when the bumper is on, the slats on the pumper skin opening are right against the core making for somewhat of a seal.

Now for a proper vented hood.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Did you need to fit longer lines with that taller core?
Nope as long as you still connect from the top then it can fit a 16 row with smaller rubber spacers stock. Anything larger than 16 rows and you would need to get new AN lines or change to top-fed banjo bolts or flip the whole cooler over because you'll start to hit the bottom of the car bumper. I bet top-fed AN banjo bolts could let you fit a 20+ row and I still may do that whenever I get around to it, you can just change the AN line fitting and so I think the same length lines could still be used.

tazswing

Car(s)
MK7.5 R manual
Here are photos of the AirTec Motorsports adaptor plate and the iABED one. AirTec was not truthful when I order the part about the port size. I can take some more photos if people want a closer look.

Attachments

• 20220407_210544 (1).jpg
    20220407_210544 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 20220407_210634 (1).jpg
    20220407_210634 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105

snox

Car(s)
leon cupra 300
Hello, do we have any news for an alternative filter to that of VWR oil cooler? Because I intend to take this kit but I don't want to pay a 70€ filter in Europe.... I would like to install this kind of kit to make the circuit I hesitate between RL or bartek/airtek. What do you have to advise me?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Hello, do we have any news for an alternative filter to that of VWR oil cooler? Because I intend to take this kit but I don't want to pay a 70€ filter in Europe.... I would like to install this kind of kit to make the circuit I hesitate between RL or bartek/airtek. What do you have to advise me?

Remember the metal filter is able to be cleaned. Wash it out, spray some brake clean and an air duster to bring it back to new condition. I have two (one it came with and an extra I bought) and rotate between the two at oil changes.

As far as I heard, Subaru Forester oil filters fit but haven't tested it personally. You should be able to find the dimensions of the metal RL filter somewhere in this thread.

As far as RL vs Bartek, I use a modified RL oil cooler setup for the track and it has been rock solid. I upgraded to a 19 row Setrab cooler and modified the thermostat to be a standard Mocal 185f thermostat. Zero issues and keeps my oil temps manageable in NC hot weather. Bartek requires to take off the manifold, water thermostat so more is involved but technically is the better option for oil pressure.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Remember the metal filter is able to be cleaned. Wash it out, spray some brake clean and an air duster to bring it back to new condition. I have two (one it came with and an extra I bought) and rotate between the two at oil changes.

As far as I heard, Subaru Forester oil filters fit but haven't tested it personally. You should be able to find the dimensions of the metal RL filter somewhere in this thread.

As far as RL vs Bartek, I use a modified RL oil cooler setup for the track and it has been rock solid. I upgraded to a 19 row Setrab cooler and modified the thermostat to be a standard Mocal 185f thermostat. Zero issues and keeps my oil temps manageable in NC hot weather. Bartek requires to take off the manifold, water thermostat so more is involved but technically is the better option for oil pressure.
You're talking about the bar-tek kit that deletes the heat exchanger, right?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Yep, I think I've seen one that mimics the RL kit but my Google skills can't find it again. If that one is available to replace the oil filter and it comes with a 19 row then I'd probably pick that over the RL kit. The 10 row cooler is barely worth it out of the box.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wait, the Bartek deletes the heat exchanger? Thought it had a thermostat to reroute if needed, but not completely delete

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Wait, the Bartek deletes the heat exchanger? Thought it had a thermostat to reroute if needed, but not completely delete
I probably conflated two different kits they sell. Traditionally before RL, you had to swap out the oil heat exchanger underneath the manifold. RL patented their oil filter screw-in adapter to use a sandwich plate in their kit.

Bar-tek sells both and two posts up is what you'd want to continue to just use the oil filter, much easier install.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I probably conflated two different kits they sell. Traditionally before RL, you had to swap out the oil heat exchanger underneath the manifold. RL patented their oil filter screw-in adapter to use a sandwich plate in their kit.

Bar-tek sells both and two posts up is what you'd want to continue to just use the oil filter, much easier install.
No. You're right. For some reason i thought the other Bartek kit had a thermostat. Could've sworn it did, but looking at it now, says it doesn't

https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/mk7oilcoolerkitmqb#

snox

Car(s)
leon cupra 300
Thx for reply.

I'm thinking of taking the bartek(I didn't know him, it's thanks to you!): https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/2-0l-tsi-oil-cooler-ea888-mqb-kit-v2
Because bigger radiator than the RL and cheaper in Europe.
On the other hand there is no thermostat, you advise me to take this piece?https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/oil-cooler-flange-thermostat-bar-tek

he talks about having to change that for what reason? would be the part that allows not to have a thermostat?: https://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/oelsteigstab-1-8-l-2-0-l-tsi-ea888

MattyYagr

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Question for the guys that are running the modified RL kit. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a thermostat to this set up, replace the sandwich plate with a thermostatic one or just splice in an inline thermostat from Improved Racing? Seems like there are spacer plates needed if replacing the sandwich plate with another company?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Question for the guys that are running the modified RL kit. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a thermostat to this set up, replace the sandwich plate with a thermostatic one or just splice in an inline thermostat from Improved Racing? Seems like there are spacer plates needed if replacing the sandwich plate with another company?

This is what I used as I read about it elsewhere, works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGDKH9T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1