GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Did you have issues with your oe plugs?
Had what felt like misfires occasionally on my old JB4 setup, but only in 4th gear under very high load (OEM plugs). I swapped to Beru RS7 plugs a few thousand miles ago when I flashed EQT stage 2, right around the time they started recommending everyone buy racing plugs. Everything has been ok since but crossing my fingers.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Now that you're not running a piggyback, you might do a lot better with stock or stock heat range plugs, like the ruths everyone loves. The RS7 plugs caused high rpm misfires for me on unitronic stage 2 left and right. Couldn't go through a single session on track without codes being thrown and a cylinder shutting off. I never lost the grounding arm though!

I've been advocating a lot more for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" route recently... And plugs seems to always be in hot contention.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You guys have convinced me to stay stg 1 and do Ruths. 🤣

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Yea I was an RS7 plug advocate all last year on stage 2 93 across 14 track days and they seemed great although when I pulled my first set they were ashy so its definitely hot in there. After 1 week with my IS20 stage 2 E85 OTS tune that I couldn't WOT on without issues on with maybe 2k mile RS7 plugs, finally after one of my pulls the car intermittently started shuttering so I pulled plugs again to do compression/leakdown testing and saw the cylinder 2 plug ground strap was gone, definitely not a good feeling after reading about everyone else's issues. I scoped it all out, compression and leakdown are good so I may have gotten lucky with this one but stay away from RS7 plugs is now my take.

Luckily I bought these now broken RS7 plugs (NGK 91006) off FCPeuro so they are letting me get the full credit back for those plugs as I am upgrading to the nicer NGK R7437-8 1 step colder racing plugs they sell that hopefully will keep up. EQT is recommending the non-projected tips across the board now but I'm confident in testing the nicer projected tip racing plugs for stage 2 E85 OTS. I will be emailing EQT to see if they would recommend 2-step colder plugs even on an IS20 for E85 due to the heat requirements.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yea I was an RS7 plug advocate all last year on stage 2 93 across 14 track days and they seemed great although when I pulled my first set they were ashy so its definitely hot in there. After 1 week with my IS20 stage 2 E85 OTS tune that I couldn't WOT on without issues on with maybe 2k mile RS7 plugs, finally after one of my pulls the car intermittently started shuttering so I pulled plugs again to do compression/leakdown testing and saw the cylinder 2 plug ground strap was gone, definitely not a good feeling after reading about everyone else's issues. I scoped it all out, compression and leakdown are good so I may have gotten lucky with this one but stay away from RS7 plugs is now my take.

Luckily I bought these now broken RS7 plugs (NGK 91006) off FCPeuro so they are letting me get the full credit back for those plugs as I am upgrading to the nicer NGK R7437-8 1 step colder racing plugs they sell that hopefully will keep up. EQT is recommending the non-projected tips across the board now but I'm confident in testing the nicer projected tip racing plugs for stage 2 E85 OTS. I will be emailing EQT to see if they would recommend 2-step colder plugs even on an IS20 for E85 due to the heat requirements.
I cracked the ceramic on a couple R7437-9s last summer, just saw another guy with the exact same thing on the big turbo group. Tried pretty much everything but the non-projected NGKs. Fouled 2-step colder Denso in both styles really quickly, and gapping the non-projected tips is a PITA. I'm going to try the 1-step colder densos next on a smaller turbo. TBH the RS7 plugs were the only ones that gave me zero issues, I gave my old set to a friend who was misfiring badly after adding a stage 2 tune and he's had zero problems since.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I cracked the ceramic on a couple R7437-9s last summer, just saw another guy with the exact same thing on the big turbo group. Tried pretty much everything but the non-projected NGKs. Fouled 2-step colder Denso in both styles really quickly, and gapping the non-projected tips is a PITA. I'm going to try the 1-step colder densos next on a smaller turbo. TBH the RS7 plugs were the only ones that gave me zero issues, I gave my old set to a friend who was misfiring badly after adding a stage 2 tune and he's had zero problems since.

Oh wow yea the RS7 had been great to me until just now. So I reached out to EQT again and they said a 2 step colder plug would probably be ideal for my stage 2 E85 IS20 tune just due to the extra stage 2 heat when usually they recommend just 1 step colder for all IS20 tunes. Were you using the Denso 5750 (IKH01-27) 2-step cooler racing plug that seemed to foul easily? Also EQT at least is saying you don't have to gap non-projected tips as they are good out of the box, lot has changed in the last two months it seems.

I am now planning to go with Denso 5750 (IKH01-27, non-projected) 2-step cooler plugs instead of the 1-step colder NGK R7437-8 (projected) and worst case I'll return them to FCPeuro when they get fouled up. Always something new to go down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Oh wow yea the RS7 had been great to me until just now. So I reached out to EQT again and they said a 2 step colder plug would probably be ideal for my stage 2 E85 IS20 tune just due to the extra stage 2 heat when usually they recommend just 1 step colder for all IS20 tunes. Were you using the Denso 5750 (IKH01-27) 2-step cooler racing plug that seemed to foul easily? Also EQT at least is saying you don't have to gap non-projected tips as they are good out of the box, lot has changed in the last two months it seems.

I am now planning to go with Denso 5750 (IKH01-27, non-projected) 2-step cooler plugs instead of the 1-step colder NGK R7437-8 (projected) and worst case I'll return them to FCPeuro when they get fouled up. Always something new to go down the rabbit hole.
IKH01-27 was one of the ones I tried. Fouled out fairly quickly and came gapped at about .028". The tips wanted to move to the side with much of any downward pressure. Interestingly the most recent set of R7437-9s I installed were at .024" out of the box.

I'm skeptical that the same plug is appropriate for both an is20 on e85 and a hybrid is38 running about 200 additional whp.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Received this today (thanks to @bobivy1234 for the good deal, everything was in perfect condition!)

C3B0659A-D44F-40CA-8E77-DCB5AA7E77D8.jpeg

Going to go for the fog light mount location and will update install photos and track results.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Received this today (thanks to @bobivy1234 for the good deal, everything was in perfect condition!)

Going to go for the fog light mount location and will update install photos and track results.
FYI, the ideal sizing for an inlet and outlet (with minimal drag) for a cooling stack of any sort is 1/3rd the surface area. Ideally you could punch a hole or create a feed that's 1/3rd surface area of that heat exchanger, plumbs to the surface and then an equally sized exhaust should come from the back going out.

tazswing

Car(s)
MK7.5 R manual
Edit #2: Racing Line gave me the wrong part number for O-rings and these are even harder to get. From my exchange over FB messenger:

"Apologies, I was given false information originally by a colleague. This would be VWR18G700-SERV. It's not on our pricelist at the moment, but this is orderable through dealers. They may need to speak to us or their importer direct. Sorry about that."

Edit: Finally hear back from RL. Here is what they said as an FYI:

"If you use part number VWR13G700-SERV with your local dealer, they will be able to supply you with everything you need. This kit does not include the green gasket to the head, which is an OE gasket. Thanks!"

Hey all. Has anyone ordered a new gasket set for the Racingline Oil cooler? I moved mine from my Mk7 to my MK7.5 and it now has some weeping at the sandwich adaptor after zero leaking on my MK7 even with some heavy track days. I reached out to RL on FB and email and have heard nothing back from them. I might have to just take it apart and caliper guess it myself.

As an aside, I added a much larger core as you can see, and lined it up to need very minimal trimming of the air guild for install. My track experience was that with all the other mods I had on the car (I guess I should list that stupid long list some place), adding the oil cooler allowed me to run max 265F oil temps on my MK7 DSG for sold 20-30min sessions in 80F ambient. I am hopeful that my MK7.5 manual will run even cooler.

Attachments

• 20220121_140545.jpg
    20220121_140545.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What size cooler did you go with?

tazswing

Car(s)
MK7.5 R manual

"If you use part number VWR13G700-SERV with your local dealer, they will be able to supply you with everything you need. This kit does not include the green gasket to the head, which is an OE gasket. Thanks!"

Hey all. Has anyone ordered a new gasket set for the Racingline Oil cooler? I moved mine from my Mk7 to my MK7.5 and it now has some weeping at the sandwich adaptor after zero leaking on my MK7 even with some heavy track days. I reached out to RL on FB and email and have heard nothing back from them. I might have to just take it apart and caliper guess it myself.

As an aside, I added a much larger core as you can see, and lined it up to need very minimal trimming of the air guild for install. My track experience was that with all the other mods I had on the car (I guess I should list that stupid long list some place), adding the oil cooler allowed me to run max 265F oil temps on my MK7 DSG for sold 20-30min sessions in 80F ambient. I am hopeful that my MK7.5 manual will run even cooler.

FYI, it is a "special order" part and is quoted as $50.00...for O-rings.

Once my thermo housing goes, b/c it will, I will be going off the block so I can regain my drain-back system at least if not add also a thermostatically controlled system out to the core, etc.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Did you need to fit longer lines with that taller core?