GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Hello all :)

After research and trials

the oil filter --> OC295 <-- fits the Racingline/other simular adapters for the MQB

Does it have the same bypass spring rating?

1642744141569.png

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That’s 36psi. What is standard oil pressure for a Mk7?

I would have thought that you would want the bypass pressures higher than 36psi.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
That’s 36psi. What is standard oil pressure for a Mk7?

I would have thought that you would want the bypass pressures higher than 36psi.
I wonder if valve pressure is advertised without atmosphere? That's often how the specs for valves are written, and if that's the case here, add 14.7 to it...?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Is there any issue with mounting an oil cooler vertically or at an angle other than horizontal? I am thinking about finally grabbing this kit but, due to having a FMIC, would mount it on the passenger side behind the fog light (and would remove the fog light). I’ve seen someone do it before but not sure if it can affect oil flow. I would think as the system is pressurized fairly high it should be okay?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Is there any issue with mounting an oil cooler vertically or at an angle other than horizontal? I am thinking about finally grabbing this kit but, due to having a FMIC, would mount it on the passenger side behind the fog light (and would remove the fog light). I’ve seen someone do it before but not sure if it can affect oil flow. I would think as the system is pressurized fairly high it should be okay?
Should be fine to do it vertical, that's what the Pacific German group did for the same reasons. I started with an FMIC and switched to SMIC when I added a front mount oil cooler just to not have to mess with the fog lights as the install was more simple. Trying to figure out some brake ducting through the fogs on mine instead. You'll have to build your own brackets for it in the fog light area but there are some metal pieces in the passenger area that could be used.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-german-mk7-gti-race-car-build-thread.319446/ -> Pacific German race car thread somewhere in the middle he shows off the oil cooler setup.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
The other option I could have is to mount it above the crash bar on the passenger side. This appears to be what Bar-tek has done on their product page. Would probably need to custom fab a bracket but shouldn’t be too complicated. Would rather not drill into crash bar so would try to use existing hard points.
475EFB38-FB7E-4B67-9134-47B67FAC2D8A.jpeg
88768C47-7F76-4355-8E7D-052427728014.jpeg

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
The other option I could have is to mount it above the crash bar on the passenger side. This appears to be what Bar-tek has done on their product page. Would probably need to custom fab a bracket but shouldn’t be too complicated. Would rather not drill into crash bar so would try to use existing hard points.

I'd be worried about too little airflow to that spot honestly but could work. Drilling into the crashbar to hold my oil cooler (modified Racingline kit) wasn't an issue at all with the right drill bits, large cutouts would be a pain. I think the fog area is a natural ram air spot for a cooler like the aux coolers on the R.

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R
Does it have the same bypass spring rating?

View attachment 236333

After close inspection of the RL filter housing and the filter inside, we saw that the filter RL provide does not have the bypass on it, we suspect that the bypass is built inside the oil rod that VW redesigned

Attachments

• 70709829-1F44-4508-8CD9-B09F3811EDAD.jpeg
    70709829-1F44-4508-8CD9-B09F3811EDAD.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 66

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Should be fine to do it vertical, that's what the Pacific German group did for the same reasons. I started with an FMIC and switched to SMIC when I added a front mount oil cooler just to not have to mess with the fog lights as the install was more simple. Trying to figure out some brake ducting through the fogs on mine instead. You'll have to build your own brackets for it in the fog light area but there are some metal pieces in the passenger area that could be used.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-german-mk7-gti-race-car-build-thread.319446/ -> Pacific German race car thread somewhere in the middle he shows off the oil cooler setup.

I'd love a link to your brake duct project.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

I figured out how to run the brake ducting and how to setup the feed and backing plate before I gave up on the mk7 and went to another platform. I have photos of the orientation for the piping that's needed. Happy to share it all and explain the problems I ran into as well as solutions. Max piping I got to fit was 2.5", but I'd actually recommend 2" for easier routing. Lmk if you want all the details...

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I figured out how to run the brake ducting and how to setup the feed and backing plate before I gave up on the mk7 and went to another platform. I have photos of the orientation for the piping that's needed. Happy to share it all and explain the problems I ran into as well as solutions. Max piping I got to fit was 2.5", but I'd actually recommend 2" for easier routing. Lmk if you want all the details...

Oh yea I'm interested, I'm just starting to think about it but ideally I'd use some generic duct intakes to replace the fog lights off Amazon and was looking at Verus' pancake adapters to clear the wheels with some hoses. As far as the backing plate, I actually got a BRZ backing plate to see if Verus' brake duct kit could be retro-fitted but it really couldn't.

In the meantime, I'll probably get by with some good 2-piece directional veined rotors with all the other fixins like Ti shims, RS3 deflectors, good race brake pads.

In other news, my NGK 91006 (RS7) spark plug ground strap broke off in my engine somewhere in cylinder 2 running my recently acquired EQT OTS E85 stage 2 tune. So far no damage noted and compression test was good after scoping but man I can't catch a break, should've stuck with stage 2 93 that was stable all last year on a previous set of the same plugs. Hopefully the strap flew out of the exhaust and some new NGK racing plugs will resolve that issue along with an RS3 LPFP. Doing a leakdown test and looking at the turbo exhaust today for any damage.

Attachments

• broken_plug.jpg
    broken_plug.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 68
  • cylinder2.JPG
    cylinder2.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Oh yea I'm interested, I'm just starting to think about it but ideally I'd use some generic duct intakes to replace the fog lights off Amazon and was looking at Verus' pancake adapters to clear the wheels with some hoses. As far as the backing plate, I actually got a BRZ backing plate to see if Verus' brake duct kit could be retro-fitted but it really couldn't.

In the meantime, I'll probably get by with some good 2-piece directional veined rotors with all the other fixins like Ti shims, RS3 deflectors, good race brake pads.

In other news, my NGK 91006 (RS7) spark plug ground strap broke off in my engine somewhere in cylinder 2 running EQT's OTS E85 stage 2 tune. So far no damage and compression is good but man I can't catch a break, should've stuck with stage 2 93 that was stable all last year. Hopefully the strap flew out of the exhaust and some new NGK racing plugs will resolve that issue along with an RS3 LPFP.
Scope it! While there's some potential it flew out, you definitely want to check out the cylinder before it goes boom.

I actually just smushed the hose to pass it from the front to back of the lca. There's no room for deflectors and hosing both since the area the deflector sits is the only large enough area to move from the front to the back of the lca without sitting in areas where moving parts would damage it. I tried running on the inside of the well and close to the lca, but turned in and under compression it would rip the hose.