GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I wonder why Racingline had to use cast fittings on the adapter end when they have regular 90* bent AN fittings on the cooler end....they don't take up much more space.

Navi

Autocross Champion
So I finally got my final oil cooler set up complete. This is what it is at the moment: VWR adapter plate at the bottom, Mocal BRZ spacer (required for thermostatic plate to clear intake manifold), Setrab thermostatic sandwich plate, VWR oil filter, Setrab oil lines with their AN fittings, Setrab 13 row cooler. I love this setup. Basically I took the VWR setup and improved on the parts of it that I didn't like. The VWR kit did work and dropped my temps, but the Setrab set up works better and drops my temps even more. I prefer it. Also, I have no leaks with this setup, which I did with the VWR kit.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks navindrair for this. I’ve been trying to put together a parts list from your description, but haven’t had much luck with the Mocal BRZ spacer. Could you put together a parts list (spacer, thermostatic sandwich plate, oil cooler) for the benefit of the forum readers?

Also, what thermostat opening temperature are you using?

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Please put up the list and if you have a link to all parts used...
Thanks

PS. Any pics of the radiator installed? Did you make any new brackets and/or need to cut in the car to make room?

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
it's quite an extensive list. I have the VWR kit... I'm only using the brackets, adapter and filter from it. I replaced the lines with Setrab lines and AN10 fittings. Used a Setrab Thermostat 19-SPT76-20-180-22 with Mocal Spacer from kit SP1T-FA20. The Kit SP1T-FA20 includes the Mocal thermostat plate. So I have both thermostat plates which is what I wanted because I thought the Mocal might be able to fit without the spacer since it has a smaller profile. I'm pretty sure you can purchase the spacer separately though Mocal but you also need the bolt for it so you would have to inquire with them. The setrab cooler I'm using is 50-613-7612.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
FYI, going to a heavier oil did reduce temps for me by about 10-15 degrees. Oil pressure seemed better and as far as I can tell, after 4 sessions, no oil was burned off. I did have a single misfire that shut down a cylinder on my last lap of the last session with oil at 270, but after restarting the car the misfire and cel were gone. I scanned the car and nothing came up. I went to rs7 plugs at the same time, so I'm not sure if maybe those did it. There's no way I'll be able to run full out without an oil cooler though, so I'm still looking at options. I really hate the idea of giving a company 600$ for a subpar kit, just to cannibalize it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I think I'll probably go with the iAbed adaptor plate, larger Setrab oil cooler with custom lines and fittings. Just sounds like a lot of work to fit. I don't need a thermostat.

Let us know if you find an easy way to do it... Seems easier to pull the engine for that one than to disassemble the front end and top end.

teemmy

Ready to race!
Have some feedback to report - i installed the racingline oil cooler with an upgraded 16 row setrab. I had to order some smaller rubber isolators to make the kit fit but otherwise it's been doing alright for the past few days.

I took the kit to the track and I saw around a 20F drop from my usual 270F, but granted it was 60F at the track so it was nice and cool. Something I did notice was that my coolant temp crept up to maybe 3/4 the dial, which it never did in the past. I guess it's something to keep an eye on.

Cruising around town or driving on the free way has seen temp drops between 20-30F. I'll hit 235F on the freeway while cruising normally with my EQT vortex turbo, but the max I've seen is 210F with the cooler. Oil temps do take a tiny bit longer to get up to temp. Once the cooler is at 180F, it takes quite a while for it to make its way to around 200F or so.

One of the hoses has some oil seeping at the AN fitting but it's not significant - just a bit annoying. I've been a bit lazy so I haven't dealt with it yet. More feedback to come :) PM if I'm unresponsive on this thread

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Have some feedback to report - i installed the racingline oil cooler with an upgraded 16 row setrab. I had to order some smaller rubber isolators to make the kit fit but otherwise it's been doing alright for the past few days.

I took the kit to the track and I saw around a 20F drop from my usual 270F, but granted it was 60F at the track so it was nice and cool. Something I did notice was that my coolant temp crept up to maybe 3/4 the dial, which it never did in the past. I guess it's something to keep an eye on.

Cruising around town or driving on the free way has seen temp drops between 20-30F. I'll hit 235F on the freeway while cruising normally with my EQT vortex turbo, but the max I've seen is 210F with the cooler. Oil temps do take a tiny bit longer to get up to temp. Once the cooler is at 180F, it takes quite a while for it to make its way to around 200F or so.

One of the hoses has some oil seeping at the AN fitting but it's not significant - just a bit annoying. I've been a bit lazy so I haven't dealt with it yet. More feedback to come :) PM if I'm unresponsive on this thread
Nice. Do you have ACC? (radar)
Any pictures of the radiator installed?

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

teemmy

Ready to race!
No ACC.
Here are some photos. The cooler was a bit big and i can’t imagine fitting anything larger than a 16 with the racingline brackets. 13 might have been just as efficient as some of the rows get obscured by the lower part of the bumper. The AN lines up top take up too much space...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks for the install pics.

The additional rows may not be in direct airflow, but the will still help cool.

Setrab has a very neat 90-banjo fitting which reduces the profile and install height, because you can then use a straight fitting on the hose and it screws directly into the cooler without the need for an adaptor. They are pricey but help when space is limited. It allowed me fit a 19-row cooler on my CooperS. The fitting boss on the Setrab cooler is about half the height of a mocal cooler. You would be able to squeeze a 19-row cooler for those who have installed IS38 turbos.

Attachments

• F97952BC-96F4-4667-8C0B-A4EF82C39E49.jpeg
    F97952BC-96F4-4667-8C0B-A4EF82C39E49.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
No ACC.
Here are some photos. The cooler was a bit big and i can’t imagine fitting anything larger than a 16 with the racingline brackets. 13 might have been just as efficient as some of the rows get obscured by the lower part of the bumper. The AN lines up top take up too much space...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke down and just got the VWR unit to install. What's the part number of your setrab core there? Did you have to get a different threaded fitting for it or did you just transfer from the VWR unit?

I'm likely going to put in a manual valve on the lines instead of thermostatic sandwich...