GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racingline CatchCan Review (Disappointment)

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
Really I don’t know why it isn’t one piece, like competitors as it would obviously completely stop the possibility of it ever leaking.

Cost. Plate vs a big ol' bar to mill out a ton of material just for the hump feature. The 2 piece can work, and it seems like they figured out the leak.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Cost. Plate vs a big ol' bar to mill out a ton of material just for the hump feature. The 2 piece can work, and it seems like they figured out the leak.

Right I understand that, but you can also weld the cap to the plate, I did, and obviously that’d be a much cheaper “1 piece” option, that couldn’t possibly leak between the cap and plate like they’ve obviously had so much trouble with. I was worried it might warp but it didn’t, in my lone case, anyway point being, for what they charge for the kit it shouldn’t leak period, make it better, maybe they finally have. I know the one I welded absolutely, positively cannot leak between the cap and plate, we’ll see if their new design can finally accomplish the same. I really hope it does, for everyone that may buy it, it does do a wonderful job at eliminating the blowby issues in hard braking/cornering in very spirited driving, it should have not leaked from the beginning as that was more annoying than the benefit received on mainly track days, especially when taking into account how pricey their kit is imo

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
ate late update from my side, sorry about that

So as I said in my OP that I have emailed RL, and the communication was great TBH,

they offered me to send me a new "gasket" and advised me to use a bead of silicone around the area, to help to stop the leak..

I told them for the premium that I have paid to buy what supposed to be the best Catch Can in the market I expect it to work out of the box, and for you to ask me to fix a common issue is really disappointing, so unless you can guarantee me that new gasket will fix my problem without adding any silicone sealant it will be fine with me, otherwise I'll have to return both kits back to usp (bought 2 kits).

A few emails back and forth, they decided to send me 2x complete kits which included a revised baseplate which completely eliminated the leak,

The new design has a better gasket, recessed mounting location for the top plate, the securing bolts now are from the top instead of the bottom.

Sorry if the picture is too big posting from tapatalk

Thanks for the update and pic. Pic size is fine, and it's very clear.

I like the decent sized gasket. Their first edition gasket was paper thin; ridiculous.
I also like the top screw attachment. I hated having to attach from the underside of the plate; too much risk of a screw dropping into the valve train - or too much risk of being unable to remove the plate because of the red loctite effect on those tiny screws.

I look forward to your report about how this works out!

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Funny enough, the other kit that I bought was installed on a 500 WHP R, when we removed the the old design base plate, somthing didn't feel right as the top plate was kind of loose,

Upon further inspection we were greeted with this

They were hanging to dear life, the previous garage didn't use loctite [emoji23][emoji22][emoji23]

Thanks for the update and pic. Pic size is fine, and it's very clear.

I like the decent sized gasket. Their first edition gasket was paper thin; ridiculous.
I also like the top screw attachment. I hated having to attach from the underside of the plate; too much risk of a screw dropping into the valve train - or too much risk of being unable to remove the plate because of the red loctite effect on those tiny screws.

I look forward to your report about how this works out!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
omfg

the retaining screws are on the bottom side?

That seems like a massive oversight in design for the sake of a pretty top side.

teemmy

Ready to race!
wow... that's insane. I'm glad I ditched the racingline catch can for a spulen v2. I was pretty annoyed by the oil seepage and the fact I had to remove the engine bolt every time to empty. The spulen is much less maintenance. Maybe not as flashy, but much easier to empty.

I'm glad they finally revised the top plate as well. Hopefully that solves the issue... I sold my

teemmy

Ready to race!
ate late update from my side, sorry about that

So as I said in my OP that I have emailed RL, and the communication was great TBH,

they offered me to send me a new "gasket" and advised me to use a bead of silicone around the area, to help to stop the leak..

I told them for the premium that I have paid to buy what supposed to be the best Catch Can in the market I expect it to work out of the box, and for you to ask me to fix a common issue is really disappointing, so unless you can guarantee me that new gasket will fix my problem without adding any silicone sealant it will be fine with me, otherwise I'll have to return both kits back to usp (bought 2 kits).

A few emails back and forth, they decided to send me 2x complete kits which included a revised baseplate which completely eliminated the leak,

The new design has a better gasket, recessed mounting location for the top plate, the securing bolts now are from the top instead of the bottom.

Sorry if the picture is too big posting from tapatalk

Do you have a photo of the top plate installed? I have had horrible experiences with communication with racingline. It has taken me weeks to get responses from them...

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
From what I heard the RL NA has closed,
Best bet is to contact RL UK info@racingline.com

I take a couple of pictures later on and post them here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

fredo

Car(s)
Golf 7 R HGP 480
I enter this discussion since I've just mounted a Racingline CC on my 7 R HGP 480.
After the installation and the first motor start there was a lot of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust. I drove around a few km and it disappeared.
The next morning it was there again and quite embarrassing ...
I've checked the installation and even fitted a new seal - no result, same problem.
Might it be a filthy K+N air filter (will clean it tomorrow)? Or has anyone another tip? THANKS!!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I enter this discussion since I've just mounted a Racingline CC on my 7 R HGP 480.
After the installation and the first motor start there was a lot of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust. I drove around a few km and it disappeared.
The next morning it was there again and quite embarrassing ...
I've checked the installation and even fitted a new seal - no result, same problem.
Might it be a filthy K+N air filter (will clean it tomorrow)? Or has anyone another tip? THANKS!!

Your K&N filter didn't get dirty overnight and it wasn't smoking before the Racingline OCC. Earlier posts said that you need to use sealant around the base plate. I would have bought the Spulen OCC. That's what I have and I've never had exhaust smoke.

fredo

Car(s)
Golf 7 R HGP 480
Thanks for your replies. I'll try the sealant first before switching to another CC.
It stops smoking when the oil reaches around 90 degrees C.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Got a GTI here, but I have the 3rd revision of the design and don't have an issue with it leaking or smoking. VWR changed the design of the upper part of the plate with a new gasket design and moved the bolts to the top. Solved my issue with oil surging through the fpr vacuum line too.
Thanks for your replies. I'll try the sealant first before switching to another CC.
It stops smoking when the oil reaches around 90 degrees C.
You absolutely sure it isn't just condensation? If it's oily smoke you have bigger issues.