GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racingline CatchCan Review (Disappointment)

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
After a long debait on which CatchCan to go with I have decided to buy the Racingline Oil Management system from USP motorsports.

Installed on a basicly stock MK7 R apart form having an Intake, I was expecting a cleaner intake after a couple of thousand miles.*

The catch can was installed back in November, after two weeks and during a regular sunday wash a popped the engine cover to inspect the PCV, I noticed oil is leaking from around the base plate, I wiped it down and removed and reinstalled everything making sure the gasket is perfectly secured.*

Exactly today I thought I have a look at the can to see how much oil/slug it has cought, checked the dipstick nothing was there which was surprising, I removed the intake hose and had a look at the inlet pipe to my shock there was a pool of oil accumulated at the bottom of the pipe.

I was expecting much cleaner air intake, but the amount of oil I found as in there was no catch can installed.*

I also rechecked the baseplate and it was leaking oil (picture attache)

I searched Google to see if anyone is having any issues recently, and found a couple reports of basplate leaking and the remedy is to use gasket maker on the base plate, which I'm totally against specially for the premium paid for the Catchcan, it should come much better fit and finish.

I have emailed RL will be reporting back with thier reply, for now, anyone looking for a catch can please avoid RL at all costs.

WHY.A.H.WHY.A

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
holy massive pics, batman

Navi

Autocross Champion
this is a known issue with the oil catch can. VWR themselves recommend the liquid gasket sealant around the baseplate. Also, I'm not sure why you are getting oil blow by in the intake inlet pipe. From everything I've read and everyone I've read to, despite the known issues with this catch can, it is the best one to run for oil blow by. Second, why are you running this catch can with a stock Golf R? I may have missed it in your initial post because the huge pics made it hard to follow the writing since i would have to scroll vertical and horizontal which is apparently too hard for my brain. The stock PCV valve is really really good. I have not had one drop of oil in my pipes for 20k miles and I'm running increased boost while driving pretty crazy at times.

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
this is a known issue with the oil catch can. VWR themselves recommend the liquid gasket sealant around the baseplate. Also, I'm not sure why you are getting oil blow by in the intake inlet pipe. From everything I've read and everyone I've read to, despite the known issues with this catch can, it is the best one to run for oil blow by. Second, why are you running this catch can with a stock Golf R? I may have missed it in your initial post because the huge pics made it hard to follow the writing since i would have to scroll vertical and horizontal which is apparently too hard for my brain. The stock PCV valve is really really good. I have not had one drop of oil in my pipes for 20k miles and I'm running increased boost while driving pretty crazy at times.

Sorry for the huge picture, didn't notice them since I posted through Tapatalk,

To answer your questions,
The stock PCV is crap, I had a similar amount of oil when in the inlet when using it, and that the main reason I optioned for a Catchcan system, I know it it one of the best systems out there but it's hard for me to belive now that I saw the results, plus I'm planing to go stage 2, have almost al the parts laying around so the RL (supposedly) should be the best option to go with.

On Vortex, one members reviewed his ECS kit, his intake air was much cleaner, almost zero oil in his inlet, and he paid half the price for it.

If RL gets back to me about the liquid sealent, I would ask for a full refund from usp, I didn't pay $500+USD for a kit that leaks oil, then asked to fix it on my own..

Then you have the amount of oil in the intake that should not be there with a 500 dollar kit..

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't think it's unusual to have oil in the intake system. Did you check the intercooler hoses? Of all of the CC posts there are only a few people who think they are an improvement over the stock PCV system.

Navi

Autocross Champion
A couple people who track their vehicle hard have used this catch can when they were getting oil blow by. It resolved the issue for them. Spulen oil catch V2 looks curiously good to me. So does the IE catch can, but I can't find any reviews on it. I would also get a refund if I were you. I was going to get the VWR catch can until I read about the base plate seepage and their recommendation of fixing with liquid sealant. I have spoke to 3-4 people who are running this catch can and they all had the same issue and had to use the liquid gasket sealant. I would not want to do that for this expensive ass catch can. Surely they can redesign it in a way that this doesn't happen. Also since they run this catch can in their race cars, I find it funny that this happens. I wouldn't mess with any other kit though including the ECS.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry for the huge picture, didn't notice them since I posted through Tapatalk,

To answer your questions,
The stock PCV is crap, I had a similar amount of oil when in the inlet when using it, and that the main reason I optioned for a Catchcan system, I know it it one of the best systems out there but it's hard for me to belive now that I saw the results, plus I'm planing to go stage 2, have almost al the parts laying around so the RL (supposedly) should be the best option to go with.

On Vortex, one members reviewed his ECS kit, his intake air was much cleaner, almost zero oil in his inlet, and he paid half the price for it.

If RL gets back to me about the liquid sealent, I would ask for a full refund from usp, I didn't pay $500+USD for a kit that leaks oil, then asked to fix it on my own..

Then you have the amount of oil in the intake that should not be there with a 500 dollar kit..

RL had suggested I try gasket sealer around the cap. Pic below is what I did, and it stopped the leak. It annoys me that RL didn't just insert the separator plate and weld the cap to the plate before shipping any kit out. If they'd done that, there'd be no leaks. I've had contact with some forum members who had the same leak problem as you and me. And, this is with the so-called improved cap gasket.

I went ahead with the gasket sealer solution because, at the track, I was getting engine oil into the intake valves on my MK7 GTI. The RL kit was the only kit that solved that problem, and did a decent enough job of not vomiting a bunch of oil into the catch can due to the design of the cap and separator plate inside.

However, when I sold the car and removed the kit, I also found some oil in the turbo inlet, where I expected there to be none. Disappointing.

With my S3, stage 1 type tune, I have yet to experience the oil into the intake valves at the track. Until I do (and hoping I don't) I'll stick with the stock PCV plate, and a post-stock PCV can to see if it can keep any oil from accumulating in the turbo inlet area.

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Also annoyed by the constant seepage issues from the cap. Really irritating to spend that kind of cash and still have to fix design flaws. This was my fix, what they should’ve done after so many complaints surfaced!

And also, it bugs the crap out of me that to empty the catch can, you have to remove a tq to yield, engine mount bolt. Just another thing that is badly thought out. It does to its credit, completely solve the high g cornering issues however.

Attachments

• 925EBB00-D998-4D64-BB10-9702763593C4.jpeg
    925EBB00-D998-4D64-BB10-9702763593C4.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 1,156
Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Not to take away from this thread, but if the OP plans to return the catch can, maybe this is another option for him?

Has anyone run the, at least what someone claimed on FB, updated PCV for the MK7/7.5? Here's a picture they posted:
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=31b9f1127e6c605e9e5ce69476c048f4&oe=5CD7C4BE
Supposedly fixes the smoking issues on the track, so curious if it helps in other aspects as well.
Do you have any links, I don't mind checking them out..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
If not, the part number he listed is: 06K 103 495 BL
Supposedly, it's an updated PCV that comes on the new S3.

Here that is as an Audi part: https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-pa...yMDE4JnQ9cHJlbWl1bS1wbHVzJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM=

or as VW: https://www.ordereuroparts.com/oem-...MIgMLt3qTK3wIVjh6tBh284QyhEAQYBSABEgKY7_D_BwE

Same P/N either way. Shown as used on the 2018 MY Golf R or Audi S4.

I have no idea if its benefits are as claimed, but for under $100 it may be worth a try for those experiencing the oil smoke issue under track conditions.

Neil

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
If you're part of the facebook MQB group, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasVW*******/permalink/2376588772360356/

If not, the part number he listed is: 06K 103 495 BL
Supposedly, it's an updated PCV that comes on the new S3.

Here that is as an Audi part: https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-pa...yMDE4JnQ9cHJlbWl1bS1wbHVzJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM=

or as VW: https://www.ordereuroparts.com/oem-...MIgMLt3qTK3wIVjh6tBh284QyhEAQYBSABEgKY7_D_BwE

Same P/N either way. Shown as used on the 2018 MY Golf R or Audi S4.

I have no idea if its benefits are as claimed, but for under $100 it may be worth a try for those experiencing the oil smoke issue under track conditions.

Neil

Good info guys, thanks!
If I get the oil smoke issue (haven't yet on this car), I'll try the 06K-103-495-BM plate before returning to the RL setup.

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
ate late update from my side, sorry about that

So as I said in my OP that I have emailed RL, and the communication was great TBH,

they offered me to send me a new "gasket" and advised me to use a bead of silicone around the area, to help to stop the leak..

I told them for the premium that I have paid to buy what supposed to be the best Catch Can in the market I expect it to work out of the box, and for you to ask me to fix a common issue is really disappointing, so unless you can guarantee me that new gasket will fix my problem without adding any silicone sealant it will be fine with me, otherwise I'll have to return both kits back to usp (bought 2 kits).

A few emails back and forth, they decided to send me 2x complete kits which included a revised baseplate which completely eliminated the leak,

The new design has a better gasket, recessed mounting location for the top plate, the securing bolts now are from the top instead of the bottom.

Sorry if the picture is too big posting from tapatalk

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Guess I shouldn’t have welded mine lol

Well, I hope it stops the leak for ya, it seems as time will tell, it always took a little while with their other “solutions” before it would leak again. They should send everyone that ever bought the kit the revised plate and cap for the money we’ve spent on the headache of a catchcan.

Really I don’t know why it isn’t one piece, like competitors as it would obviously completely stop the possibility of it ever leaking. I wish ya luck but personally I’ll stay away from racingline in the future and wish I would have known what I know now, then as I also bought 2 kits, welded one up and the other sits on a shelf in the garage, but I’m going to piss and moan until I get the new plate design for the unmolested catch can so thanks for updating the thread bud!