GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R888R vs ?

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Curious if there are any stickier DOT tires than the R888R’s out. Quattro, looking for a DOT tire for some no prep races. Still want to get atleast 5k miles out of the tire.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
There are many, many stickier tires than R888r, but the question is what is your use case? Are you doing time trials, drag racing, autocross, track days? The R888r is a reasonable choice for only one of these... And it's not anything competitive.

5k miles from an R888r won't happen unless you're just doing street driving on warm, dry days. Expect about 600 track miles or 20 to 24 sessions out of it, with most grip being gone by session 10. Session 11 will be a full second slower than session 1. By session 20 it will take 3 to 4 laps to build heat and grip will fall off by lap 7 or 8.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
There are many, many stickier tires than R888r, but the question is what is your use case? Are you doing time trials, drag racing, autocross, track days? The R888r is a reasonable choice for only one of these... And it's not anything competitive.

5k miles from an R888r won't happen unless you're just doing street driving on warm, dry days. Expect about 600 track miles or 20 to 24 sessions out of it, with most grip being gone by session 10. Session 11 will be a full second slower than session 1. By session 20 it will take 3 to 4 laps to build heat and grip will fall off by lap 7 or 8.
some no prep races
Drag racing.

Why not the M&H Racemasters you sold me?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Drag racing.

Why not the M&H Racemasters you sold me?
For drag racing the R888r are a waste of money. The alignment and temps they need are not inline at all for that use case.

Certain Nitto and Mickey Thompsons were once the most affordable and the best respectively, but I'm not up to date on the latest and greatest drag stuff, so I'll defer to others who do spend their time doing it.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, have a few no prep heads up races this season. Not particularly worried about life as long as it’s practical enough to drive to the track and back for them. Not dealing with swapping wheels/tires every event. I don’t even put more than 15-20 miles a week on my car on average. Just has to be a DOT tire.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah, have a few no prep heads up races this season. Not particularly worried about life as long as it’s practical enough to drive to the track and back for them. Not dealing with swapping wheels/tires every event. I don’t even put more than 15-20 miles a week on my car on average. Just has to be a DOT tire.
I asked a muscle car friend about his drag strip uses and he says mickey Thompsons are still at the top of the radar for drag stuff.

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/drag-tires

Looks like they have the et street s/s and the more extreme et street r as the dot legal category.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Buying for an 18” wheel. Narrowest for that is a 305. Not going through the hassle to keep swapping wheels again. Not needing something to break 60’ records. Just something to install and drive till they wear out that can still hook on launch and first gear.
Looking at the R888R’s as on the 1/4 list they have cut 1.61 / 1.63 60’. My previous 1.61 was on slicks.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
The Toyos are gonna be the best buy for your needs. Too bad the NT555R don't fit. Are you on no prep street or dragstrip?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
R888R and get them hot. M&H have the Racemasters in 245/40 btw. Neither tire is going to give you longevity or wet traction 😂

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You might find the R888r need some camber, even for straight line grip. The inner and outer sidewall and tread are designed for it, and a toyo rep told me to run -2 when prioritizing straight line grip and -3 for corners with as much positive castor as possible.

I'm curious for your straight line results, since this isn't really a drag tire.

Have you considered the maxxis rc1 and nankang ar1? They are in the same 100tw category. You also have the toyo ra1... Which is a particularly interesting tire. Faster than an R888r when shaved and better wet grip and longevity when not.