GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R420 launch?

s7wag

Ready to race!
anyone seen any news on when the R420 is likely to be launched and available for pre-order? I'm sure I read it was going to be launched in Frankfurt in September...just wondered if anyone had heard anymore and when they'll be taking orders?

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
anyone seen any news on when the R420 is likely to be launched and available for pre-order? I'm sure I read it was going to be launched in Frankfurt in September...just wondered if anyone had heard anymore and when they'll be taking orders?
Your guess is as good as any; last I heard the R 400+ would be unveiled this September and to expect it as a late model year 2016 or 2017 offering.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

NY.:R

Passed Driver's Ed
I doubt it will ever see the streets as a production car. Just another awesome concept that won't come to fruition.

Even more so than the R, there's a very small niche market of people that will be willing to drop that kind of coin on a VW Golf. That market is already being occupied by the Audi RS and BMW M models.

Only time will tell.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I doubt it will ever see the streets as a production car. Just another awesome concept that won't come to fruition.

Even more so than the R, there's a very small niche market of people that will be willing to drop that kind of coin on a VW Golf. That market is already being occupied by the Audi RS and BMW M models.

Only time will tell.

I totally agree.

James75

Go Kart Champion
In Europe the new Audi RS3 starts at 40k - that's before you've started ticking the many many many many many boxes for options.

If the R420 could be sold in limited numbers with a big spec as halo car, then I do see a market for it.

The current R holds it own and that's not cheap and it's in a crowded marketplace with some talented opposition.

The R420 will have a limited appeal but if they price it cleverly then I don't see a problem.

James

Kandiru

They will time it strategically as a Focus RS crusher.

Passed Driver's Ed
They will time it strategically as a Focus RS crusher.

Perhaps. I really like the RS besides that awful wing. Same reasons I would never drive an STI. I'm too old to be rolling around in something that looks like a teenager's car.

I was very close to going with an S3 until I looked at the trunk and back seat and realized how unpractical it was. I'm 6'2", the S3 backseat is literally nonexistent with my seat in the driving position. Not exactly a family friendly sedan.

nikhsub1

What?
The car has been confirmed to reach production by the end of THIS year or early next year. It is being made, 100%. The chances of it coming to the USA however are slim to none.

Passed Driver's Ed
The car has been confirmed to reach production by the end of THIS year or early next year. It is being made, 100%. The chances of it coming to the USA however are slim to none.

Such is the case with so many beautiful cars. I'll never understand why they deprive us so. :(

The Messiah

Ready to race!
This: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-golf-r400-spy-photos-news

And this: http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...he-next-volkswagen-golf-gti-will-have-300-hp/

A lot of speculation still, but at least they have a R400 (or Golf RS) test mule it seems. I think it makes sense for the R400 or RS to be released. The R used to be a limited release model (in the US at least). The Mark VII R from what I understand is still available after the initial (special) release.

VW is moving upmarket a bit and with the R becoming a 'regular' model, an Audi-like special release RS model makes sense. Or so I like to convince myself ;-)

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
I'll believe it when I see it (in production and in everyday peoples hands I mean).

As far as the US goes, there would be a 99% chance it never gets over here and if it did, a few years later after everyone else has got one. How much would it cost? If it is anything above $45K, no one is going to buy a "Golf" in running shoes.

nikhsub1

What?
If it is anything above $45K, no one is going to buy a "Golf" in running shoes.

And you are proof of VW's huge problem in the US and why we don't get the cool shit. If VW made a Veyron beating Golf, with 1100 HP, the nicest interior ever made, the slickest materials in every unicorn color available you would still say "If it's over $45k, no one is going to buy a "Golf" in running shoes.".

Understand that the R420 would demolish many super cars but as you say, "it's just a Golf." The people in the US want the R420 for an unreasonable price - If I were VW I wouldn't bring it here either.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
And you are proof of VW's huge problem in the US and why we don't get the cool shit. If VW made a Veyron beating Golf, with 1100 HP, the nicest interior ever made, the slickest materials in every unicorn color available you would still say "If it's over $45k, no one is going to buy a "Golf" in running shoes.".

Understand that the R420 would demolish many super cars but as you say, "it's just a Golf." The people in the US want the R420 for an unreasonable price - If I were VW I wouldn't bring it here either.

Wait up, I was paraphrasing what most most people say. I believe it (the mentality of "It's just a overpriced golf") to a degree but since I have had my R, I get complimented on it nearly everyday I drive it (which IS everyday). This has surprised me as before I got it, I thought "it's only a Golf" myself.

Americans don't like hatches (if I'm honest) and especially "overpriced" sporty ones. They want big sedans mostly from BMW and Mercedes. I doubt it's viable for VW to bring them over really.

The Messiah

Ready to race!
Even at $50k I think VW would sell every single R420/RS they bring over. The Audi RS3 will go for well north of $60k so the price differential between those too might even be bigger than compared to the R vs the S3. And the first 500 Golf R's were sold/reserved in under 12 hours.

People pay much more for much better cars today. 30 years ago super cars cost $100k. Now people pay $300k to $1.5 million for supercars. Inflation has not been running that high.