GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R vs Gti

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Of course it does but it should for $40k...

jtbazz1

Ready to race!
Autobaun with PP is $35,400. Not much difference in price. Guess I should have said anyone considering a loaded gti that r is the way to go.

Last edited:

EricM

Passed Driver's Ed
A harder question is whether an R with DCC at $39k is a better buy than a loaded SE w/ PP, LP and DCC at $31k.

Eric

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
A harder question is whether an R with DCC at $39k is a better buy than a loaded SE w/ PP, LP and DCC at $31k.

Eric

It is. Believe me. That's the exact GTI I was considering. I got my R for invoice so sweetened the deal. $38,762 vs MSRP $39,910.

EricM

Passed Driver's Ed
Brinkmen, I can get an R with DCC at invoice +$400, so not bad. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $8K, you know. Are you 100% happy going with the R?

Cheers,
Eric

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Autobaun with PP is $35,400. Not much difference in price. Guess I should have said anyone considering a loaded gti that r is the way to go.
When you consider monthly payments that's still a lot more money. 4 grand makes a big difference for some. I test drove an R but my GTI with a tune is 90% as fun and I get a sunroof and it cost $10k less. R is great but a $40k hatchback just doesn't quite excite me like say a used M3.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I think it's worth the extra money. The 4wd alone is worth it.

But for me, my dream has always been to own a red GTI. Now I do :) Also, a few months after I purchased my GTI, I signed the papers for my first home. Had I bought the R, my home would not have happened.

But now that I own a Stage 2 GTI, I now dream of owning a Golf R haha ;)

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Brinkmen, I can get an R with DCC at invoice +$400, so not bad. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $8K, you know. Are you 100% happy going with the R?

Cheers,
Eric

Personally yes I think it's worth every penny. I was never a fan of having 300hp in a FWD car. I think it's too much but some like it. I had my Mk6 GTI with Stage 1 and Intake and I was happy with it. This car is easily twice the car performance wise. I think of this car as a bargain, frankly. With a simple stage 1 tune, you can have a car with a sub 11 second quarter mile car with a sub 4 second 0-60 for under $40k? With this level of luxury...just wow.

When I drove it hard for the first time, it happened to be at night. Coming from all FWD cars in my past, this thing blew....my....mind. It's truly an amazing combo of parts. To each their own. A GTI is enough for most people. I've owned like 7 of them. They are great. I had always dreamed of an R since they came out and loved it when they changed to the 2.0T so better MPG.

I am 110% happy with my purchase...!

P.S I was thrilled to get my R for invoice as I was prepared to pay at least MSRP, but not a penny over. If you can get an R for MSRP or less, I'd say you got a good deal. A guy near me paid $3000 over msrp for his. He came from a Nissan GT-R and loves the R loads more. Said it's so much more luxurious inside than his GT-R was. Also there are dealers out here in Cali that have them marked for $5000-$10000 over msrp. I guess some people are paying for them. I'd sooner buy an S4, than pay $10k over MSRP. I also wanted the Hatchback so the S3 wasn't really in the picture.

Last edited:

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
There goes my extra $8k, Brinkmen! Lol. Thanks for your great input!

Eric

You're welcome. My recommendation is if you end up with a GTI, get a manual, S, PP, LP. That's the sweet spot in my opinion. It should also be under $30k out the door. If I'd actually gotten a GTI, that's what I would have aimed for. But there never seemed to be exactly what I wanted and I felt like I'd have to compromise if I bought near me, drive 100+ miles to a dealer that may have had the one I wanted in stock, or order the exact GTI I wanted and wait 3+ months for one. Hell I had to drive 60 miles each way to pick up my R in the bay area from Sacramento. But that was worth it.

With the R, I knew I didn't want Red, would have probably preferred white, but I like that the black is the most understated of any of the R colors. In my opinion that is. Oh also the fact that the R is built in Germany and the GTI in mexico helped my choice. But it was not a deciding factor.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Oh also the fact that the R is built in Germany and the GTI in mexico helped my choice. But it was not a deciding factor.

Not to bring up that debate again, but that should never be a deciding factor.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Not to bring up that debate again, but that should never be a deciding factor.

Which is why I said it wasn't a deciding factor. For me personally it was a plus though. I believe the R will be built in Mexico soon also.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Which is why I said it wasn't a deciding factor. For me personally it was a plus though. I believe the R will be built in Mexico soon also.

I can see that especially with how popular the Mk7 is. The GTI is already the most popular "hot" version of a hatch. I see the R selling more in Mk7 guise.

Build the GTI and R in Mexico for the NA market and keep the 420 in Germany lol.