GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R to 8Y RS3

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Ya if we had the 8Y RS3 in Canada, my MK7.5 R would be long gone.

Many who have upgraded from the 8V /w built engines and went to the 8Y love the upgrade as well...I think getting some type of diff going whether front (preferable) or rear is needed as the Haldex system is only that good, and with the XDS (for the R anyway) is good for a stock car, maybe, but not much beyond that
Hank Iroz himself said the 8Y is his favorite car he's owned.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
In states like CA where the legal exhaust volume limit is 95 dbA, the default mode a car starts in has to comply with that limit. More than likely, when your car is in Sport mode and the valves are open, the exhaust gets louder than 95 dbA. That's why the drive mode won't save when you shut off the car, and it's in "normal\auto" every time you turn it on.

This would be opposite the Golf R if it were the case. My R opens the valves at startup and then auto closes them a few seconds after by default, regardless of which drive mode the car was started in.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Got word back from the dealership today. Deposit is in and car is reserved. It's also disappeared from Audi's inventory online. Unless something goes terribly wrong, this is a done deal.

I'm actually in shock.
I think they typically leave cars online until it's actually sold and delivered, but they get so many calls and emails with things like RS3s they take it down earlier.

By the time I picked my car up they said they had at least 50 calls about it. I also asked them how many people they had with deposits for custom orders and they told me 17. A lot of dealers don't seem to be offering these cars to their people in line, even if it matches an exact spec that someone's ordering. Every dealer has people that have been waiting about a year, but they'll sell these non-specced cars to anyone. I put in a deposit at my local dealer in july 2022. It seemed like I was still going to have to wait another year if I was going to wait for them to get me a car. I found one 1300 miles away that was available, first time talking to that dealer, and I bought it...and like I said, that dealer had 17 people with deposits waiting for their car.

It's a fuckin mess, so for you to get one like you did it's pretty lucky.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I think they typically leave cars online until it's actually sold and delivered, but they get so many calls and emails with things like RS3s they take it down earlier.

By the time I picked my car up they said they had at least 50 calls about it. I also asked them how many people they had with deposits for custom orders and they told me 17. A lot of dealers don't seem to be offering these cars to their people in line, even if it matches an exact spec that someone's ordering. Every dealer has people that have been waiting about a year, but they'll sell these non-specced cars to anyone. I put in a deposit at my local dealer in july 2022. It seemed like I was still going to have to wait another year if I was going to wait for them to get me a car. I found one 1300 miles away that was available, first time talking to that dealer, and I bought it...and like I said, that dealer had 17 people with deposits waiting for their car.

It's a fuckin mess, so for you to get one like you did it's pretty lucky.

Agreed. It's funny, because I've told this same story.

Went to look at a 2019 8V back Oct or Nov of 2022. They had a long list as well. Ended up not loving the car, but there was an allocation for an 8Y in route that wasn't specifically ordered by someone. At the time, I was told that they already had a prospective buyer, but if the deal fell through I would be next in line. The car sold. I also had another opportunity at a different dealership, same situation. Only this car had a 10k ADM. Tried keeping in touch with each of them but never heard anything back from either.

Regardless of the list, if you are standing in the dealership and the car is available, they will sell it to you. In this case, they told me they didn't even know this car was in route until I called them. Just a surprise allocation. And given the fact that I can't find a dealership willing to sell me a MK8 R at MSRP, this is a no brainer. The average ADM for the R is around 10-20k right now anyway, basically putting it at the same price point as the 8Y. Not to mention, there are threads on Vortex with guys who are literally calling every single dealership in the country for a Golf R right now. You just can't compete with that.

Definitely a mess.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Agreed. It's funny, because I've told this same story.

Went to look at a 2019 8V back Oct or Nov of 2022. They had a long list as well. Ended up not loving the car, but there was an allocation for an 8Y in route that wasn't specifically ordered by someone. At the time, I was told that they already had a prospective buyer, but if the deal fell through I would be next in line. The car sold. I also had another opportunity at a different dealership, same situation. Only this car had a 10k ADM. Tried keeping in touch with each of them but never heard anything back from either.

Regardless of the list, if you are standing in the dealership and the car is available, they will sell it to you. In this case, they told me they didn't even know this car was in route until I called them. Just a surprise allocation. And given the fact that I can't find a dealership willing to sell me a MK8 R at MSRP, this is a no brainer. The average ADM for the R is around 10-20k right now anyway, basically putting it at the same price point as the 8Y. Not to mention, there are threads on Vortex with guys who are literally calling every single dealership in the country for a Golf R right now. You just can't compete with that.

Definitely a mess.
It's crazy what dealers are doing with the Golf R. There's over 200 of them on autotrader (new and used). That seems like a fair amount of inventory. At least if you compare it to something like a supra where there's 430 listed for sale and that car has been out since 2020. Meanwhile there's like 16 RS3s on autotrader and I hear about so many more stories where people are paying msrp. I had a $5k markup, but they originally wanted $10k and I talked them down.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
VW has always been kind of insane about the R.

Lots of dealers won't even let you test drive one, and I'm talking since way before the mk8

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

Lots of dealers won't even let you test drive one, and I'm talking since way before the mk8

My salesmans manager was calling him in the middle of one of my test drives asking where he was. He knew where his salesman was and what he was doing. He was literally standing right next to us when we left, so I could tell he wasn't liking the length of my test drive, which was still super fuckin short. For a used R that had already spent a month on the lot.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

I dunno, summer 2018 I drove multiple Rs at my local dealerships without any difficulty, and they were all basically asking invoice price 🤷‍♂️

@aloha_from_bradley congrats on the car, I’m sure you’ll love it!

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
It's crazy what dealers are doing with the Golf R. There's over 200 of them on autotrader (new and used). That seems like a fair amount of inventory. At least if you compare it to something like a supra where there's 430 listed for sale and that car has been out since 2020. Meanwhile there's like 16 RS3s on autotrader and I hear about so many more stories where people are paying msrp. I had a $5k markup, but they originally wanted $10k and I talked them down.
Ya don't come to Canada...8V RS3's are going for about what they sold for...in 2018.
I have a mk7.5 Golf R 6MT that is selling for what I paid new....in 2018....with 100,000 km. If you trade to the dealer you lose $10k, and the dealer will be the lowest on the market and wondering how they sold in under 5 days. I now am getting people on forums asking if I would be willing to sell mine over black book.

A MK8 Golf R is going for $20k over MSRP, used with 5,000 km. I have been watching for the last 6 months for giggles.

Be happy in America with what you got lol!

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Congrats on the new car. Prior to your announcement-Out of sheer curiosity I contacted my local Audi Stealership here in Seattle and was told $5k non-refundable deposit on a car $10k over expected next spring-lol. I think I’ll just stick with my R for a while.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Congrats on the new car. Prior to your announcement-Out of sheer curiosity I contacted my local Audi Stealership here in Seattle and was told $5k non-refundable deposit on a car $10k over expected next spring-lol. I think I’ll just stick with my R for a while.

I hear you.

If it makes you feel any better, several stealerships are doing 20-30k markups on this car. Absolute fuckin insanity.

BTW - I've got roots in WA. I'm there a couple times a year.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

I had this kind of experience back in 2008 with a MKV R32. I couldn't test drive one that was new. The only way I finally got to drive one was that someone bought one, put some miles on it, and traded it in a few months later. They let me drive the used one haha.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My last day with the Golf.

She's leaving at 3pm PST.

Sad day.
lol, I had barely any attachment to my R, or the hype for the RS3 was so high the R didn't matter at all. Trading my GTI in for my R was harder.

Post some pics when you get the new one!