GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R MHGERD - 2016 Golf R DSG Oryx White - The "not a build thread" build thread

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Watched your video today, thought I recognized the car from here.

Curious, saw that you were running the whiteline LCAs and now you're on the superpro bushings, is that with the stock LCAs?

Why did you change them up, for replacement ease?

Just curious, I have the whiteline LCAs and quite like them. Wish someone would make a sealed spherical bearing for the trailing bushing. Ran a set of those on a car before, they were life changing lol.
The Whiteline LCAs I had were the ones that added caster, and it made wheel fitment a MESS. They performed great but outside of nearly stock fitment and only a bit of lowering you're going to have tire to fender contact where the bumper bolts up, no way around it. I went with the street SuperPros in the factory LCAs to resolve that and I'm happy enough with that result. The stock arms work with the RS3 brake ducts too, where the alum ones don't. There might be a different duct but I didn't dig too much.

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Looking at your engine mod list. So you were able to run the upgraded turbo without the need for an upgraded hpfp and lpfp?

Zach's giggle on the initial acceleration was awesome. Good video!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Looking at your engine mod list. So you were able to run the upgraded turbo without the need for an upgraded hpfp and lpfp?

Zach's giggle on the initial acceleration was awesome. Good video!
Ahh good catch! Now the stupid long mod list just got longer. The car has a Autotech HPFP upgrade and the EQT brushless LPFP.

The giggles definitely made it worth it, knowing he just drove a Senna recently. The Golf is a little easier to relax in though, not quite 3mil of car that could kill you haha.

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Ahh good catch! Now the stupid long mod list just got longer. The car has a Autotech HPFP upgrade and the EQT brushless LPFP.

The giggles definitely made it worth it, knowing he just drove a Senna recently. The Golf is a little easier to relax in though, not quite 3mil of car that could kill you haha.
Did you also upgrade the tmap/put sensors or are they still stock? I'm looking to go Stage 3 within the next 6 mos and will end up likely going a similar route as your car.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Did you also upgrade the tmap/put sensors or are they still stock? I'm looking to go Stage 3 within the next 6 mos and will end up likely going a similar route as your car.
Bah yes I did haha, EQT sensor kit for those. I basically have everything needed for slightly larger turbo (G30-660 or Vortex XL) and full E85 if I spring for MPI down the road. I would need a flex fuel tune to be available to make that worth it considering the cost of a retune, install, etc.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
The Whiteline LCAs I had were the ones that added caster, and it made wheel fitment a MESS. They performed great but outside of nearly stock fitment and only a bit of lowering you're going to have tire to fender contact where the bumper bolts up, no way around it. I went with the street SuperPros in the factory LCAs to resolve that and I'm happy enough with that result. The stock arms work with the RS3 brake ducts too, where the alum ones don't. There might be a different duct but I didn't dig too much.

Gotcha, I love the added caster at the track and also the Ohlins really don't get super low so I'm not running into fitment issues with my current wheel and tire setup for the summer/track, only get the slightest of rubs on large travel impacts. The NT01s I have sitting in my garage waiting to replace the Direzzas look about the same width/height so I'm thinking I should be fine. I will say though, when looking around, it feels like robbery for how cheap you can get a set of those LCAs from whiteline though lol.

Losing the RS3 ducts does suck though and the choices are either try to rig the ducts on the arms, do what you did, or wish somehow someone would just like, gift you a Clubsport S front end lol, well for GTI folk anyways, I may see if the clubsport ducting would work if I just simply removed my fogs.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Gotcha, I love the added caster at the track and also the Ohlins really don't get super low so I'm not running into fitment issues with my current wheel and tire setup for the summer/track, only get the slightest of rubs on large travel impacts. The NT01s I have sitting in my garage waiting to replace the Direzzas look about the same width/height so I'm thinking I should be fine. I will say though, when looking around, it feels like robbery for how cheap you can get a set of those LCAs from whiteline though lol.

Losing the RS3 ducts does suck though and the choices are either try to rig the ducts on the arms, do what you did, or wish somehow someone would just like, gift you a Clubsport S front end lol, well for GTI folk anyways, I may see if the clubsport ducting would work if I just simply removed my fogs.
I agree its a huge improvement and the lighter arms are nice too. Im not sure what brakes you have but the macan's needing a spacer on pretty much every wheel made things tougher. Since I've tried a lot of different setups now (wheels and tires) if I ever dive back into the front suspension (for an S3 front subframe and new sway bar for example) I'd probably pick up another set of arms and keep the wheels pretty mild. There are definitely dealers that break MAP pricing with Whiteline out there, I think I paid under $400.

I would like to see if ducting can be added to the R bumper from the grill at some point. That would make the RS3 ducts way less important at that point.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I agree its a huge improvement and the lighter arms are nice too. Im not sure what brakes you have but the macan's needing a spacer on pretty much every wheel made things tougher. Since I've tried a lot of different setups now (wheels and tires) if I ever dive back into the front suspension (for an S3 front subframe and new sway bar for example) I'd probably pick up another set of arms and keep the wheels pretty mild. There are definitely dealers that break MAP pricing with Whiteline out there, I think I paid under $400.

I would like to see if ducting can be added to the R bumper from the grill at some point. That would make the RS3 ducts way less important at that point.
PP/R brakes for now, getting ready to throw a set of 8P RS3 calipers on in a couple of weeks. They use a common backing plate so there's a huge amount of pad choice out there and I know they'll clear my summer setup. I think they fit with the stock austins with a minimal spacer, but, I am looking to throw those bricks in the trash lol

I looked pretty hard into an R bumper setup and it may end up being the play for me just because they have more openings for cooling period. Then again making some brake ducting with hoses from say Pegasus isn't hard, just not as pretty as OEM.