GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R for 'Reliability'...?

Mrdross

So here’s the thing; I've had my R for the past 18 months and to be honest I think it’s a real corker of a car! Whilst I was quite disheartened when I departed from my previously well-loved MKV GTi Pirelli Edition, stepping into the R I soon forgot her. For me the R offers everything I want from a performance car with the added practicality of a day-to-day family hatch; it's absolutely sublime.
So why the post entitled ‘reliability’ – and it's nothing to do with VW’s current emissions rigging scandal but more closer to home and something I’d like to share. To date, having covered 15k miles I’ve had the corner lights fail (blown bulb), the battery replaced in one of the key FOB’s (minor I know but still...), the oil light on 5 times this year (each requiring a top-up) and more recently the ESC light coming on periodically. The last issue was the biggest concern and so having the local VW dealers look into it and (on the second attempt) would you believe that they discovered the car had a leaking water pump which obviously needed replacing along with various connectors and sensors. Oh, and at the same time they also found that the car had a faulty exhaust 1 flap controller module fault (?) which they also replaced. With regards to the amount of oil top-ups the dealership has said that “VW have stated that the amount of top-ups is within the tolerance levels of the car and that this type of engine could use up to 0.5l of oil per 10000km”! Even if this is the case, and I’d be interested to see what you folks think, given that I’ve top the oil up 5 times since December this year and covered about 8km the figures don’t add up. When I question this I got some excuse about how ‘refine’ oil is these days so you would expect an engine such as in the R to require some top-ups! Now don’t get me wrong, I’m more than capable of topping up the oil from time to time but I’ve been driving new cars for the last 20 years (pretty much a new one every 3 – 4 years) and I’ve never, ever had to top up the oil!
Anyway thought I’d just put that out there for comment …. Oh and whilst I’ve got your attention can someone please tell me how you get the ‘coming home’ lights setting to remain on? The dealer apparently update my ‘software’ and said it should all work now but having followed the manual (several times) it still only works on that one occasion you set it and not every time you switch off the engine in darkness – have I missed a trick somewhere????

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Where are you located in the world? These are issues I have not heard on American Golf R's. Oh wait I see, England. Ive noticed more issues in the earlier versions of European model Golf R's than we have here.

Some of those issues are really stupid and could just be bad luck :( I have always topped up every VW I have ever owned between oil changes, so thats nothing new to me.

Halvie

WOOSA
Probably pretty poorly.

How big of a hit do you think I would take selling an R with 1.2k miles on it? :D

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Interesting thread!!

And yes, some VW's can drink oil. My past VW would use 1 litre of oil every 5,000 miles.

My new GTD, has had 1 x 1 litre top up at 16,000 miles & more than happy with that. Some engines are simply designed that way.

It's not only VW's. My friends Honda Civic Type R uses around 1 litre every 1000 to 3000 miles, but he does drive it hard :eek:

Rappy :cool:.

Almost forget. Ref coming home lights, you need to flash the full beam stalk with ignition off & the lights will stay on. I much prefer my older VW & this would happen, everytime the car was switched off:(

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
He's in Hampshire England (UK). Duh!

Been to Hampshire a time or two and enjoyed a pint or several!

Sir, when you say "top up" how much are you topping up at the time?

On my 2007 2.0t GTI I was adding a pint every 3,000 miles. I used Amsoil which is the best over here.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
You write: With regards to the amount of oil top-ups the dealership has said that “VW have stated that the amount of top-ups is within the tolerance levels of the car and that this type of engine could use up to 0.5l of oil per 10000km”!

Did you intend to write 1000km instead of 10000km? Because .5l (1 pint) of oil every 10000km (6,000 miles) isn't out of the norm. Back in the day of 5,000 mile (8000km) oil change intervals that would mean that you could get away without adding oil between oil changes. Now that cars are being built to go twice that long between oil changes, it means that maybe once every 6 months or so, you need to bring it back up to top. That said, my R has about 5,000 miles on it and the oil level is just a hair below "full" on the diptsick.

Increased oil consumption ought to be expected with ultra low viscosity multi-visc oils which are used in turbocharged engines, often with a cold viscosity rating of 0 or 5, as while this thin oil is great for minimizing wear on turbo bearings at start-up, it also can pass between the piston rings and cylanders a little easier before the engine fully heats up. So, like the batteries in your key fob going out a little early, this doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about with your overall durability in your R.

PS: try just touching the exterior door handle to lock/unlock your car, instead of using your key fob; your batteries will last a lot longer that way. I almost never even take my keys out of my pockets anymore.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Interesting, I did a motoman break in and my R hasn't burned a drop of oil in 12k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, I did a motoman break in and my R hasn't burned a drop of oil in 12k miles.

I've followed Motoman break in method on two cars and have not had to add oil in between oil changes. First vehicle 2013 GTI with 36k and 2015 Golf R with 3k.

I'm very pleased with this method of engine break in.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I've followed Motoman break in method on two cars and have not had to add oil in between oil changes. First vehicle 2013 GTI with 36k and 2015 Golf R with 3k.

I'm very pleased with this method of engine break in.

Remember reading this thread. But cant find it now:(.

Can you please send the link?. From memory, was it simply drive the car hard from day 1 ?

Thanks,

Rappy:cool:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
It's not *just* driving hard, but that's a major element. Engine braking is an important component

Last edited:

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Been driving every car I've bought new in the past 10 years like I stole it from day 1 and never had an oil consumption issue. Engines don't need to be babied like they did in the old days. Just make sure its warm before you beat on it. I had multiple redline pulls before I hit 500 miles :)

2016_Golf_R

Ready to race!
Been driving every car I've bought new in the past 10 years like I stole it from day 1 and never had an oil consumption issue. Engines don't need to be babied like they did in the old days. Just make sure its warm before you beat on it. I had multiple redline pulls before I hit 500 miles :)

I agree. As soon as I left the dealer, I let the engine warm up and banged through the gears numerous times on the way home. Drive it like its meant to be driven :D

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Per the Motoman link listed above, I followed the break in method for driving on the road. Engaged my hazard lights a couple of times when traffic came upon my six o clock.

MidCow3

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for providing final straw to cancel Golf R order

First diesel fraud.
Second inept VW ordering
Third this thread on reliability problems.

Cancelled my golf R order and put deposit on Ford Focus RS :)