GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'R' ECU can determine fuel octane?

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Filled the tank with Sunoco 93 octane and 100 or so miles later it feels as if it has more power. Does the ECU have the capability to determine what the fuel octane is and adjust accordingly?
-Rod
Good question, anyone know how Sunoco 93 compares with other high grade girls in North America? I use Shell and BP only.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

amos

Passed Driver's Ed
Most cars have a spark knock sensor that will allow the ecu to advance the timing. It doesn't know the octane but it does know that the fuel isn't pre igniting prior to the spark plugs firing. Ie) the more refined fuel allows the car to have more compression.

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
Most cars have a spark knock sensor that will allow the ecu to advance the timing. It doesn't know the octane but it does know that the fuel isn't pre igniting prior to the spark plugs firing. Ie) the more refined fuel allows the car to have more compression.
Thanks Amos! Same as my earlier BMW's with aftermarket ECU chips, where the chip would 'listen' to various parameters and make adjustments. Given current technology I suspected it was capable of this and nice to have it confirmed. We certainly love our new Golf R. What a fantastic package.
-Rod

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No. The timing is advanced the max with 91.

Did you personally test the octane? It's possible your 93 is not 93. The Could be closer to 89, so then you could feel the difference between it and 100. They're rarely tested so it's not unusual to get inferior gas.

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
No. The timing is advanced the max with 91.

Did you personally test the octane? It's possible your 93 is not 93. The Could be closer to 89, so then you could feel the difference between it and 100. They're rarely tested so it's not unusual to get inferior gas.
No, did not personally test the octane. The owner/operator of the station races at Summit Point WV and has randomly tested what is delivered to his station at various times and has not had any issues. Nor have I, during performance testing of various ECU chip configurations I've tested in my BMW, including dyno pulls using his fuel. I've had enough doses of questionable gas to know what it does to performance, unfortunately.

sean@apr1

Passed Driver's Ed
Filled the tank with Sunoco 93 octane and 100 or so miles later it feels as if it has more power. Does the ECU have the capability to determine what the fuel octane is and adjust accordingly?
-Rod

It does to a small extent. If you had crappy gas before, good gas will reduce timing pull and make the car faster.

It won't adjust up all the way to 93 or beyond to 100, but if you had crap gas before, good stuff will make a difference.