GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quietest tyres for a Golf GTi mk7.5

npr

Car(s)
Golf GTi mk7.5 man
Hi, I have a Golf GTi mk7.5 and want to get the quietest tyres. I've tried to make the car quieter by fitting the harmonic damper, and soundproofing the boot and under back seat with dynamat and closed cell foam - this has helped reduce road noise.

I'm on Michelin PS4 tyres (225/40/18) that are very noisy on rough surfaces. The EVo 2019 summer tyre test, using a Golf Gti as the mule, tested a number of tyres and the Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres were said to be quietest in the cabin (I know the Dunlop Sportmaxx are lowest Db for external noise). What i want is the quietest tyre, i will happily sacrifice some sportiness for lower road noise. Is there anyone who has tried both PS4 tyres and CPC6 tyres, One person on the Golf Gti forum had and so am interested for any more feedback on this forum.

Also, if you have had CPC6 and a quieter tyre i'd be interested to hear. I'll go for all season, eco tyres, whatever for less noise on poor, concrete.

Finally, if i sell the PS4 tyres on ebay (there is about 4-5mm left per tyre), any recommendation for couriers so i can calculate the cost.

Thank you

RXXXII

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI Autobahn
For a less noisy tyre, best bet is to choose an all season or all weather one. Not sure what you have in the UK; however, some options in the US are the Michelin Cross Climate2 or the older Cross Climate+. I have the former in 17" diameter and the ride and noise are very good.

I have also tried the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and it is quiet, too. Lower price than the Michelin, but not as good performance in winter.

Summer high performance tires are known to be noisy.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I recently switched my 'summer' wheels to the Michelin CrossClimate (195/65r15 95V XL) and they are very very quiet most of the time, but on certain types of pavement I don't think you can ever eliminate noise completely. They also have great dry traction and are really comfortable. My stock tires were the Bridgestone Ecopia ep422+ and I cannot say enough bad things about them, they were horrible for a stock tire in every sense other than fuel economy.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
As @RobertJG25 has said, it’s unlikely you’ll ever be able to eliminate noise completely on certain road surfaces, even with the quietest tyres. I’m more than happy to sacrifice limousine-like levels of silence if I know my tyres will perform well in areas I consider important.

I have PS4 tyres on my VW Polo GTI+ and they replaced the original factory Bridgestones. I don’t find the PS4 ‘s noisy and they certainly seem quieter than the Bridgestones. I personally put wet / dry weather grip and handling and braking / stopping performance as priorities ahead of noise levels when buying tyres, but I appreciate we’re all different so will place different levels of importance on different things.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hi, I have a Golf GTi mk7.5 and want to get the quietest tyres. I've tried to make the car quieter by fitting the harmonic damper, and soundproofing the boot and under back seat with dynamat and closed cell foam - this has helped reduce road noise.

I'm on Michelin PS4 tyres (225/40/18) that are very noisy on rough surfaces. The EVo 2019 summer tyre test, using a Golf Gti as the mule, tested a number of tyres and the Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres were said to be quietest in the cabin (I know the Dunlop Sportmaxx are lowest Db for external noise). What i want is the quietest tyre, i will happily sacrifice some sportiness for lower road noise. Is there anyone who has tried both PS4 tyres and CPC6 tyres, One person on the Golf Gti forum had and so am interested for any more feedback on this forum.

Also, if you have had CPC6 and a quieter tyre i'd be interested to hear. I'll go for all season, eco tyres, whatever for less noise on poor, concrete.

Finally, if i sell the PS4 tyres on ebay (there is about 4-5mm left per tyre), any recommendation for couriers so i can calculate the cost.

Thank you
Call tire rack. Ask them for the quietest tire. Profit.

npr

Car(s)
Golf GTi mk7.5 man
Hi, thank you for your comments so far. I realise i wont be able to eliminate all road noise. TBH, i've never given tyres much attention with previous cars (VW Bora, Volvo S40, BMW 3 series) until i got the Golf last year. In the past i put on the most reasonable premium brand tyres when they needed replacing, and that was fine -road noise has never been an issue previously in cars i owned. (Had a Mini countryman as a hire car once and that was awful)
I've taken a look at the Tyre Review website and video following RXXXII's comment re: all season tyres, and on the 2020 test they used a Golf as the mule with 225/45/17 tyres (so not quite the same as mine but almost). Interestingly they got Goodyear to do the noise test, used internal cabin noise on 2 surfaces including rough surfaces, with comparison to the winter and summer reference tyres. Based on this The Goodyear or Bridgestone might well be the best (or the Nexen if i wanted the quietest, but it didn't do great in other parts of the test).

Certainly on rough surfaces (except for the CC+), this would support RXXXII's comment that all season tyres are quieter

Anyone have experience of the Goodyear, Bridgestone (or even the Nexen)?
Thanks

1618600226059.png

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Everyone of those tires looks like a tire I wouldn't want on a GTI. 🤷‍♂️

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Currently using Continental extreme contact dws06 plus, better than the stock Pirellis. I also have been used to the noise from my Falken eurowinters so maybe they are not as quiet as I think.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
By their nature and the laws of physics, Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires are going to be the quietest tires because they stay the roundest and the noise comes mostly from the size of the contact patch. That said, I would never consider putting tires like those on a performance car.

Your best noise to performance ratio is going to come from a premium performance all season tire. I would also suspect there's some things that can be done on the alignment side to eliminate noise.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Another option is to have an exhaust note just loud enough to drown out tire noise. The stock exhaust doesn't help.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
BTW those low rolling resistance tires are for people who drive their cars 25,000+ miles a year where they never have a single performance situation and the 2mpg or whatever it nets benefit is worth a few hundred bucks a year and a longer tire life is worth another few hundred.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
To the OP, curious, why the strong desire to go with a super low noise tire on a sporty car? I have heard of people who are hypersensitive to certain frequencies. But, if not for some special auditory reason, why stick Uain Bolt in penny loafers? (OK, I know, a bit of a stretch in the analogy department.) It seems a bit like procuring an Aston Martin, only to ask what can be done about the loud exhaust note.

Michelin PS 4 and 4S options are some of the best tires for daily driving a sporty car, considering all the normal tire tradeoffs (grip, life, price, feel, noise, etc). If the GTI plus Michelin PS4 plus extra sound deadening is not scratching your super low noise itch, then maybe a visit to the local Lexus dealership is in your future.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
I had CPC6's on the stock 18's before switching to MPS4's on 17's.

The ride improved, but not to the extent I was expecting, the steering got heavier, and the noise levels actually went up quite a bit.

Now they've been on a year and they're down to about 3-4mm, I'd swear they're getting even noisier.

The MPS4's are undoubtedly to me, a much more focused tyre. Whereas the CPC6's are impressively refined for what is still a excellent performance tyre.

I'll be going back to them once the Michelin's have finished evaporating, which they are doing at an alarming rate, lol.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
tirerack.com has data on tire noise as well as a plethora of customer reviews where noise is rated...