GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick Racingline Subframe Alignment Kit Review

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I don't understand the benefit in the OP's case. His front camber asymmetry was originally 17', and dropped to 14'. Not much really. In my experience, you wouldn't notice the change.

He also had a bigger camber discrepancy in the rear, which can be corrected independently without the deadset kit.

What am I missing here?
I'm not sure there is a relationship... I think his issue was alignment and his solution was over the top because he wanted to mod.

It's like adding a rear sway bar to reduce understeer, when an alignment could have done the trick.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I'm not sure there is a relationship... I think his issue was alignment and his solution was over the top because he wanted to mod.

It's like adding a rear sway bar to reduce understeer, when an alignment could have done the trick.

I probably shouldn’t have posted the before/after alignment results - I think they may have proven misleading when my intent was only to provide the data since I had it. That said, my understanding of the benefits of aluminum subframe collars is based in part on this.

While that link has a healthy dose of product marketing in it, it also seems very logical to me and at the price point of the Racingline kit, wasn’t a difficult decision. Would you say that video provides an inaccurate description of how aluminum subframe collars work and could prove beneficial?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I probably shouldn’t have posted the before/after alignment results - I think they may have proven misleading when my intent was only to provide the data since I had it. That said, my understanding of the benefits of aluminum subframe collars is based in part on this.

While that link has a healthy dose of product marketing in it, it also seems very logical to me and at the price point of the Racingline kit, wasn’t a difficult decision. Would you say that video provides an inaccurate description of how aluminum subframe collars work and could prove beneficial?
Honestly, I'd much rather read than spend time watching a marketing YouTube video, but there's nothing wrong with adding the collars. I made my own brass ones and they work fine, but the benefit is reducing small alignment changes that come from extreme gforce. A typical street driver won't see the benefit, and any sense of "feel" is usually placebo. Here's the kicker though, the bolts on the subframe are one time use... If you pull them for a sway bar install or to shift for an alignment, they will never be the same again, and you will get shifting sooner. You can go for stronger non-stretch bolts and use locking washers to a similar effect to the collars

Like I was saying, I think the relationship between your alignment spec sheet and the collars is what people are getting hung up on. You modded to mod, nothing wrong with that, but these collar solutions don't "fix" anything. They can help prevent some movement, but in extreme cases.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Removed the before/after alignment specs to cut down on confusion. While I personally appreciate the opinions and anecdotal info being shared (that’s a major function of this type of forum), I would love to see more objective data related to this topic shared.
I don't think you are going to find this data.

Right off the bat, the video claims "significantly improved vehicle dynamics and handling" and shows a Prius going over a "bump" mmmmmmkay.

The video show's the affect on mating two surfaces together, and that is where the usefulness of the video ends, the rest is complete garbage.

SFC are a total waste of time and money.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Another bump, are all the AWD fitments the same? It shows it fits an MK7 R (but not a 7.5), but I have an AWD Sportwagen... Just wanted to make sure they're the same collars because ECS has different rear collar kits for different cars.

Koenna

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' Alltrack SEL
Front is identical and for the rear you can use the upper collar, but no need for the lower one. For the rear lower one you'd need something like the 034/cts AWD subframe inserts. Those will fill the voids in the subframe bushing and reduce some sloppiness in the rear. I have both and can confirm it felt a bit more solid. Not a gamechanger though, but a slight improvement for sure.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Front is identical and for the rear you can use the upper collar, but no need for the lower one. For the rear lower one you'd need something like the 034/cts AWD subframe inserts. Those will fill the voids in the subframe bushing and reduce some sloppiness in the rear. I have both and can confirm it felt a bit more solid. Not a gamechanger though, but a slight improvement for sure.

Thanks! I will probably just try the VWR kit then. Can I still use the lower ones in the rear just so they're there? Looking at the part diagram I'm assuming the rear collars would just push against the bushing and not really do anything?

Koenna

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' Alltrack SEL
Probably not going to hurt, but won't do anything. I decided to not use the lower collars.

AquaTone61

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG
Same thoughts on Dead set Kit?
IMO they are not at all. The MK7 has a similar design as the MK6, the subframe kit will center and prevent the subframe from shifting where it mounts on the body. I did the TyrolSport front kit on my MK6 and I noticed an immediate difference in steering feel and suspension feel over bumps. Turning into a corner felt more direct and steering response with load felt more direct. Hitting bumps mid corner felt better as well. The best way I can describe it is there was less "noise" in the steering
I never did any track driving but even for street only use I would recommend doing it.