GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions for those who have experience with red rubber grease in Track Day Environment

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I'm beginning to think that I may benefit from the use of red rubber grease (RRG) on my BBK. I am wondering if the temperature environment experienced during track use creates any issues. Does the grease hold up under high temperatures? Does the grease contaminate the brake fluid, compromising its performance? How long do the benefits last?

I looked at a couple of YouTube videos on how to apply the grease. Those suggested liberally applying the grease to the piston, seals, and coating the caliper bore. Seems like a lot of grease and contact between the grease and brake fluid. If you use RRG, how do you apply it?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I'm anticipating/hoping that it will reduce piston retraction. I haven't rebuilt my BBK, and the rebuild kit doesn't seem to include any kind of lubricant.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I'm anticipating/hoping that it will reduce piston retraction. I haven't rebuilt my BBK, and the rebuild kit doesn't seem to include any kind of lubricant.
Yeah I had to buy the lubricant separate. What bbk do you use that piston retraction is an issue?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Neuspeed 6-piston. I just swapped out my road pads/rotors for track stuff. There was a noticeable difference in pedal travel when driving around on the street. The track pads are more worn, so I wonder if the piston is now operating in a region that isn't as lubricated, causing greater stiction between the piston and seals (pressure seal and internal dust seal) leading to greater piston retraction. It hasn't been as noticeable in the past. Or maybe it's because of the difference in pad performance. Obviously, the track pad didn't come up to optimum temperature just driving around. Maybe it will sort itself out once I'm on the track.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’ve heard it’s practically a prerequisite with brembos due to their inferior boot seal thingy around the pistons. Out of curiosity who manufactures the neuspeed kit?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I assume Neuspeed.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Not a good sign! They don’t look like Brembos I have seen.