GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about upcoming SMOG check

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
I moved to Los Angeles about 1.5 years ago and had to smog my 2018 Golf Sportwagen when I got here in order to register my car in California. I have an IC, DP, is38, and APR tune. In order to pass smog I had to put my OEM DP back on and revert back to the stock tune, then drive around for a couple days, then I was able to pass. As far as a the "visual" inspection went, there was none. He never inspected the DP, turbo, etc. When I first tried to pass, I kept on my CTS DP but reverted back to the stock tune but could not pass. He clearly saw that my DP had the CTS logo on it but didn't fail me on that. The monitors wouldn't set with the CTS DP.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I moved to Los Angeles about 1.5 years ago and had to smog my 2018 Golf Sportwagen when I got here in order to register my car in California. I have an IC, DP, is38, and APR tune. In order to pass smog I had to put my OEM DP back on and revert back to the stock tune, then drive around for a couple days, then I was able to pass. As far as a the "visual" inspection went, there was none. He never inspected the DP, turbo, etc. When I first tried to pass, I kept on my CTS DP but reverted back to the stock tune but could not pass. He clearly saw that my DP had the CTS logo on it but didn't fail me on that. The monitors wouldn't set with the CTS DP.
what are the chances for a dp without an obvious logo on top/bottom and an o2 sensor spacer?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
what are the chances for a dp without an obvious logo on top/bottom and an o2 sensor spacer?
Luck of the draw, if they do a proper check then no chance of passing. If they don't or don't know what they are looking at then you are good. If they do their job and use their reference resources as they are required to do, they should spot it.

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
have to have residency of the owner in the state to register. an acquaintance registered in montana by using an llc that has address registered in montana. no inspection and low registration fee.
What’s the process and cost? Swapping parts every 2years gets old.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
What’s the process and cost? Swapping parts every 2years gets old.
Gotta pay to play. You don't want to do it every two years? Don't mod your car.

Guys, passing really isn't that bad, put some time into it and quit whining. I passed in CA and CT no problems, tricks, or “smog friendly” Put the stock DP on, put the intake back on, flash to stock, swap sensors back to stock. Depending on the fuel pump, you may have to go back to stock due to readiness. Invite some buddies over, drink some beer, drag a tv into your garage and watch a game.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Gotta pay to play. You don't want to do it every two years? Don't mod your car.

Guys, passing really isn't that bad, put some time into it and quit whining. I passed in CA and CT no problems, tricks, or “smog friendly” Put the stock DP on, put the intake back on, flash to stock, swap sensors back to stock. Depending on the fuel pump, you may have to go back to stock due to readiness. Invite some buddies over, drink some beer, drag a tv into your garage and watch a game.
In CA buy new, mod immediately, enjoy without emissions check until year 8, sell and repeat.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I believe the whole out of state registration requires you to file Articles of Organization in order to form an LLC within the state. Then you register the car to the LLC... Or so I've heard. 🤷‍♂️

As to it being worth it, can't say.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Expensive to toss it out like that. Just pay someone to do the work for you.
Going fast is expensive. Going fast, and avoiding emissions even more expensive. Calif is cracking down on the Montana LLC stuff. Usually discovered when you get a ticket in California and your license shows you are a Calif resident and your car is not. Or when you sell your car in Calif. Fines can be big and if you never paid sales tax in California when you bought it you might end up paying them and associated fines. Also discovered if you are unlucky enough to have a tax audit. So the risk is having to pay tax/fines along with emissions compliance issues. The LLC stuff is big with supercar and collector car owners trying to avoid paying sales tax and secondarily avoid emissions. It has become almost comical how many cars at Cars and Coffee meets in Calif that are from Montana.