GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about reaching 400HP. GTI MK7.5 Rabbit

Car(s)
2019 GTI MK7.5 Rabbi
Hello all,

What does it take to reach 400hp? Is it all in the tune once the required parts are attached?

I got a few fellas at work that crap talk my car, well, they have been for quite awhile and I'm tired of it lol. One of the guys has been trying to get me to race him for awhile, but If I lose I will never hear the end of it sheesh.. So i'm going all out to the best of my ability (and billfold)

My GTI is at this moment running on a JB4 at 14k. I bought it in November of 2019 and am about to purchase the 'works' (DP, IC, R8 plugs and coils, Motor mounts, ACT S3 Clutch, IS38 hybrid HPA and a few other parts.) after which I plan to get a COBB protune as not many non-COBB AP pro tuners live near me. I've heard I will need a low pressure and high pressure fuel pump is this correct?

I want to do this while at the same time having all supporting mods possible for the longevity of my engine. I don't plan on hammering it every time I take it for a drive or go to work. I'm 32 and that side of me is gone, buuuuuut lol if I want to have fun during my drive to work or shut a few of them up then I want to have all the available power possible for me to do so. Other than that this car is in granny mode 90% of the time which is how I like it.

Other than the parts I've listed do you have any other suggestions? I would really like to hear you guys' opinions.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can get to 400 HP with an IS38 running ethanol. I wouldn't recommend that though. The easiest way is to get the mods you listed but get either a TPC20 hybrid turbo which will get you to around 420 HP on 93 octane or a Vortex standard turbo from EQT and you'll be around 440 HP. I would highly recommend that you use EQT as the tuner. Either a protune that you have to log on the street which will require several revisions to get to the optimum tune or a remote dyno tune with EQT at a local dyno shop and you'll have the final tune in about 3 hours.
You will only need the HPFP not the LPFP unless you're going to run over 50% ethanol or MPI (multi point injection). If you did go the MPI route you're adding significant costs and decrease reliability. It's the RS7 plugs by the way and you don't need the coils.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
440ish HP is achievable on pump 93 with a HPFP and tune from EQT? I thought it was more like 380-400.
On an IS38 and 93 you'll be at about 365 HP. On the TPC20 on 93 about 420 HP and on the EQT Vortex about 440 HP.

Car(s)
2019 GTI MK7.5 Rabbi
What’s he driving?

One of them has an STI I get along with him though hes a pretty good guy,

He's pushing around 350 to 400 HP atm from what hes told me.

Dbag'arino is driving a Scatpack with some mods and not sure what he has, but it sounds mean lets just hope he only has an exhaust lol

Car(s)
2019 GTI MK7.5 Rabbi
You can get to 400 HP with an IS38 running ethanol. I wouldn't recommend that though. The easiest way is to get the mods you listed but get either a TPC20 hybrid turbo which will get you to around 420 HP on 93 octane or a Vortex standard turbo from EQT and you'll be around 440 HP. I would highly recommend that you use EQT as the tuner. Either a protune that you have to log on the street which will require several revisions to get to the optimum tune or a remote dyno tune with EQT at a local dyno shop and you'll have the final tune in about 3 hours.
You will only need the HPFP not the LPFP unless you're going to run over 50% ethanol or MPI (multi point injection). If you did go the MPI route you're adding significant costs and decrease reliability. It's the RS7 plugs by the way and you don't need the coils.

Thank you for the quick reply Jim. I'll look into those turbskis and thanks for the correction on the RS8 (RS7) plugs.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I assume it's going to be a race from one stoplight to the next for eternal shit talking rights? If so, either go get a golf R and tune that, or don't bother and instead tell the guy to stop talking to you. Or even better, make him your bitch in front of everyone with a fight challenge.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
“Wolves don’t concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.”
If a penny saved is a penny earned you can net several thousand dollars by not giving a shit what others, particularly those below you think.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
“Wolves don’t concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.”
If a penny saved is a penny earned you can net several thousand dollars by not giving a shit what others, particularly those below you think.
Hey I resemble that remark. 😂

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Go Stage 2 and race the STI, they're heavier and have more drivetrain loss than our cars so 350hp shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you have access to ethanol and can run an e30 tune. Just don't race from a dig, lol. And nice choice of clutch. Maybe look into a short shift adapter, like the one from Boomba (affordable, effective, & easy to install).

Removing the rear seats and spare tire for the races wouldn't be a bad idea either. Even without the bigger turbo, a setup like this would give the Scatpack a good run for his money

Last edited: