GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questionable build quality

artystamk7

Ready to race!
After two years and only 24,000km I'm moving on from the gti and into the 2017 S3. This car has been nothing but a joy to drive and in my opinion is still
The benchmark in affordable, refined, livable performance. My Previous ride to this car was a stage 1 mk6 gti and in my opinion the mk7 is leaps and bounds in terms of performance. That being said I've observed that there are some questionable build quality concerns and cost cutting compared to the German made mk6. Please see images below for reference.

- The OEM rims are either oxidizing or some sort of irreversible marks are showing. Please keep in mind I don't use these in the winter and I only have 24,000km.
- The start stop button is peeling off.
- The fake metal on the shift knob is bubbling and peeling off.
- the iPhone jack in the middle console no longer works.
- My key fob requires a new battery every 6 months. I had my mk6 key for four years with only one battery change.
- I've been hearing a large thumping noise coming from the trunk when going
Over bumps. A common issue with the mk7.
- the sunroof intermittently doesn't want to close.
- The steering wheel no longer has perforated leather like it did on the mk6- probably a cost cutting measure, not a big deal but it was on the previous generation.

Has anyone else experienced these little annoyances?

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,256
  • IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 2,304
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 2,274

krammer

Passed Driver's Ed
After two years and only 24,000km I'm moving on from the gti and into the 2017 S3. This car has been nothing but a joy to drive and in my opinion is still
The benchmark in affordable, refined, livable performance. My Previous ride to this car was a stage 1 mk6 gti and in my opinion the mk7 is leaps and bounds in terms of performance. That being said I've observed that there are some questionable build quality concerns and cost cutting compared to the German made mk6. Please see images below for reference.

- The OEM rims are either oxidizing or some sort of irreversible marks are showing. Please keep in mind I don't use these in the winter and I only have 24,000km.
- The start stop button is peeling off.
- the iPhone jack in the middle console no longer works.
- My key fob requires a new battery every 6 months. I had my mk6 key for four years with only one battery change.
- I've been hearing a large thumping noise coming from the trunk when going
Over bumps. A common issue with the mk7.
- the sunroof intermittently doesn't want to close.
- The steering wheel no longer has perforated leather like it did on the mk6- probably a cost cutting measure, not a big deal but it was on the previous generation.

Has anyone else experienced these little annoyances?
I have the 2016 VW GTI with APR stage 2 with 18000 miles. Honestly, I will never purchase a VW again. Audi is on my list. As for your pictures, the rust is not exceptable as well as the shifter.
1 problem I hear and sounds cheap is the roof sounds like there is stiro foam cracking when I turn.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
OP,

- My wife's 2015 Golf has had strange brake issues every ~5k miles.
- It had a failed EVAP Valve and EVAP Canister (separate repairs/times) and eventually qualified for the recent Fuel Sump Recall.
- Her sunroof creaked like crazy until it was silicon lubed on the rear main seal. There's no excuse for VW not to be lubing seals from the factory.
- There is a buzz in her armrest rear air vents I can't figure out how to fix.
- In my 2016 Golf, I had a faulty windshield from the factory.
- I had a crazy annoying buzz coming from the corners of the dash that I never figured out in that car.
- On my 2017 GTI, the same buzz is present, though I THINK I've finally got it nailed down now. I'm still testing.
- The GTI's driver seat creaks, very badly, on an intermittent basis.
- My oil cap was not properly installed on my engine from the time I drove off the lot. I ended up getting CEL and throwing several intake/MAP related codes over the period of 3 weeks until I finally realized it was cross threaded and installed on an angle, creating a vacuum leak.

I have the 2016 VW GTI with APR stage 2 with 18000 miles. Honestly, I will never purchase a VW again. Audi is on my list. As for your pictures, the rust is not exceptable as well as the shifter.
1 problem I hear and sounds cheap is the roof sounds like there is stiro foam cracking when I turn.

Questions for you, Sir:
Care to note specifically why you won't buy a VW again?
Why do you think Audi is that much better?
What does "exceptable" mean?
"the roof sounds like there is stiro foam cracking when I turn." There may be a structural safety issue with your car... Have you had the car to the dealership for this?

Nerwin2

OP,

- My wife's 2015 Golf has had strange brake issues every ~5k miles.
- It had a failed EVAP Valve and EVAP Canister (separate repairs/times) and eventually qualified for the recent Fuel Sump Recall.
- Her sunroof creaked like crazy until it was silicon lubed on the rear main seal. There's no excuse for VW not to be lubing seals from the factory.
- There is a buzz in her armrest rear air vents I can't figure out how to fix.
- In my 2016 Golf, I had a faulty windshield from the factory.
- I had a crazy annoying buzz coming from the corners of the dash that I never figured out in that car.
- On my 2017 GTI, the same buzz is present, though I THINK I've finally got it nailed down now. I'm still testing.
- The GTI's driver seat creaks, very badly, on an intermittent basis.
- My oil cap was not properly installed on my engine from the time I drove off the lot. I ended up getting CEL and throwing several intake/MAP related codes over the period of 3 weeks until I finally realized it was cross threaded and installed on an angle, creating a vacuum leak.

Questions for you, Sir:
Care to note specifically why you won't buy a VW again?
Why do you think Audi is that much better?
What does "exceptable" mean?
"the roof sounds like there is stiro foam cracking when I turn." There may be a structural safety issue with your car... Have you had the car to the dealership for this?

+1, to be honest VW is a little step behind Audi. But... there is always a BUT, if you like the S3 why didnt you buy it? i'll tell you why: not enough money. Even a regular A3 with the same engine (there is not but you can buy the 2.0 TSI with 190 HP) and the same aquipment is 4000 Euros more expensive than the GTI (at least in Europe) and I'm sorry but the quality of the A3 is not much better than the GTI. I have friends with Audi and I wish you can see their cars... peal doors, steering wheels so damaged, etc... It is the same company, if you are not happy with the GTI i recommend you to go for an Honda, Toyota, Lexus, even Ford or any other company but Audi because is not that much better and they have the same problems/issues. In my opinion you have been unlucky, you are right and it is a shame but there are allways issues and you will always read the problems, the millions happy people will never post a word. If it helps you, now i have my 4th GTI (MK3, MK5, MK6 and now MK7 PP). I have a big problem with the Mk6 and i sold it out after rapair, and a little problem with the MK5, in general i was so happy with all of them even having problems but believe me, there are no brands without issues and the cost in Spain for the GTI is higher (on the web was 44k euros with almost everything but i got a good discount) I mean is a car which people still look at everywhere

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had a couple of issues with the car thus far, mainly needing my dashboard replaced (under warranty) and a burning smell on occasion that we can't seem to solve. Having said that, I'm not experiencing any of those build issues with my 2016 SE (knock on wood). I've had it for a year and 16,000 miles. I've seen some of these complaints before though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisMK4

I'm at 13k miles on my 2016 GTI S, with an APR stage 1. Only problem I had was the windows sticking as they rolled down, but when I got my tint done, they stopped doing it. Oh, and hardly anywhere but the dealership will change the oil. They all seem flabbergasted by the oilpan and the plug lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mk6-k

Ready to race!
I'm putting a steel oil pan on Monday. I never liked the plug and the fact that it is plastic.

I'm at 13k miles on my 2016 GTI S, with an APR stage 1. Only problem I had was the windows sticking as they rolled down, but when I got my tint done, they stopped doing it. Oh, and hardly anywhere but the dealership will change the oil. They all seem flabbergasted by the oilpan and the plug lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Same thing is happening to me, but on the far left "dead pedal" foot rest. Thought it was some sort of clear plastic that the original owner never removed.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
My kessy/ sunroof isn't working again. Not a big deal as it's easily fixed. Might be in my head but when close the drivers door with the window partway down it more rattilly than I remember. 12 months and 6,000 miles.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
The white junk on the wheel is unfortunate, but very hard to avoid... it's oxidation of the aluminum. Typically cased by a stone chipping the clear-coat, letting air/water/junk reach the aluminum wheel.

I heard it called "white worm" on the forum; thought that was funny. It very common here in the rust belt. Lots of my vehicles have suffered from it. Some worse than others.

artystamk7

Ready to race!
The white junk on the wheel is unfortunate, but very hard to avoid... it's oxidation of the aluminum. Typically cased by a stone chipping the clear-coat, letting air/water/junk reach the aluminum wheel.

I heard it called "white worm" on the forum; thought that was funny. It very common here in the rust belt. Lots of my vehicles have suffered from it. Some worse than others.

Interesting, I don't drive the car in the winter time, and it never happened on my mk6 during my 4 year ownership.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Two of the wheels on my previous Golf, 2013 Mk7 1.4TSi SE, got 'white worm' though I drove it in all weathers and only (disgracefully) cleaned it every couple of months or so. It also rattled, squeeked and knocked like no car I've ever owned, in addition to the 'usual' rear shocks / dampers knocking + loose pipes and cables under the bonnet, seems they did all do that then. Current car is magic carpet-like in comparison. I spent half an hour with 'post-it notes' on my lap driving up and down a cobbled street shaking my fillings out and marked everywhere I detected a noise. I then squirted paper glue inside and between any panels, solving much but not all of the irritating racket....

Last edited: