GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question on AQ250 and 09G tranny on '17 GSW S (6spd non-dsg)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What are your current hp&tq #'s on your IS38 setup?
Welcome to the forum. I know you didn't ask me but if you're trying to figure out what numbers to expect for an IS38 with all mods you should get about 360 HP and 400 torque on 91 octane.

JZMK6.5

Car(s)
Ea211
Welcome to the forum. I know you didn't ask me but if you're trying to figure out what numbers to expect for an IS38 with all mods you should get about 360 HP and 400 torque on 91 octane.
It was more about knowing what he is actually running on the 09G. The original post of this thread is spot on, where there's really no one stating actual peak tq of the 09G anywhere just factory stamp. But I do appreciate the quick response, and assuming those are fairly common numbers for the IS38 it gives me a good idea of what he's running. Guess I'm just fishing for someone to say yea I'm running X amount of tq on the 09G no issue.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It was more about knowing what he is actually running on the 09G. The original post of this thread is spot on, where there's really no one stating actual peak tq of the 09G anywhere just factory stamp. But I do appreciate the quick response, and assuming those are fairly common numbers for the IS38 it gives me a good idea of what he's running. Guess I'm just fishing for someone to say yea I'm running X amount of tq on the 09G no issue.
I can't be sure that transmission can handle those numbers. I messed up and didn't realize that.

JZMK6.5

Car(s)
Ea211
Been running Is20 power (well now Is38) through the 09g for 2+ years and it's never missed a beat. Including track days and multiple drag runs.
Soooo... could really use that info. Doing a IS38 swap in the next couple weeks, local VW shop wants double the cost of a normal dyno tune. If I had 09G trans tq specs from someone running that setup I could go somewhere else. So if you have a min to respond, it would be greatly appreciated.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Soooo... could really use that info. Doing a IS38 swap in the next couple weeks, local VW shop wants double the cost of a normal dyno tune. If I had 09G trans tq specs from someone running that setup I could go somewhere else. So if you have a min to respond, it would be greatly appreciated.
We have a user on IS20 with 2.0T fuel pump running E85, puts out around 280-300 WTQ. We also have several people with IS38 swaps running APR, you can look up their dyno numbers on the website. They say it is 313 Wheel torque and 313 wheel HP on 91, granted their dyno was with an AWD GSW, but we still have 09G users running their tune with a IS38.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
No dyno, best I can give you is drag times. Went from a 13.4 on IS20 to a 13.2 on IS38. All APR software, dyno'd ~283hp/280tq on IS20. Maybe there's another 15 or so hp in there, but frankly for the effort, time, and money I don't think the '38 was worth it for me. Now granted this is all with over the counter tuning, you'll probably see better numbers on a custom tune. If I could do it all again I'd have done more with the fueling system. I know twindad has been getting some good numbers off a GTI HPFP and working with Reflect Tuning. Recall him saying the fuel pump was good for an additional ~20hp/tq out of IS20, which is probably the net gain in power that I achieved with a much more expensive turbo swap. So unless you're chasing after the moon in terms of numbers I'd say you're better off examining fueling options for IS20 if ~300whp is your goal.

I'm also kinda out of the modding scene on account of finally wrapping up my degree. Time and money are a lot harder to come by when you're doing the college grind lol. Still you got any more questions about the swap just let me know.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I’m is20, 2.0 hpfp and flex fuel tune. On 93 it’s around 300/330 and on e40 about 320/350. I then stack with the JB4 a little bit and I’m somewhere in the 330+/360+ range. I’m quicker than an is38 dsg sportwagen on e25 for 60-90, but the auto shifts a bit slow and I end up about even with him at 100 according to dragy. He ran very low 12’s at around 113-114 in the 1/4. I have 50,000 miles on the auto. It was JB1 at around 3,000 miles, then JB4 when it was first released. I went to is20 and JB4 at 20,000 and have been tuned since around 36,000. The auto holds up fine, but there is a torque limiter in the tcu that limits the power. You need a tuner who knows how to overcome that. Surprising not many can do it

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I’m is20, 2.0 hpfp and flex fuel tune. On 93 it’s around 300/330 and on e40 about 320/350. I then stack with the JB4 a little bit and I’m somewhere in the 330+/360+ range. I’m quicker than an is38 dsg sportwagen on e25 for 60-90, but the auto shifts a bit slow and I end up about even with him at 100 according to dragy. He ran very low 12’s at around 113-114 in the 1/4. I have 50,000 miles on the auto. It was JB1 at around 3,000 miles, then JB4 when it was first released. I went to is20 and JB4 at 20,000 and have been tuned since around 36,000. The auto holds up fine, but there is a torque limiter in the tcu that limits the power. You need a tuner who knows how to overcome that. Surprising not many can do it
There is a new post with someone hitting 350/390 w/IS38 and 09G with e25 blend with ONLY a JB4! Apparently, when you use a piggyback, since it essentially lies about low boost, the torque limiter doesn't kick in because it can't sense it's actually making that much! Now, is 350/390 safe for everyday use? Probably not but guy said it's gonna be his track use map...

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
There is a new post with someone hitting 350/390 w/IS38 and 09G with e25 blend with ONLY a JB4! Apparently, when you use a piggyback, since it essentially lies about low boost, the torque limiter doesn't kick in because it can't sense it's actually making that much! Now, is 350/390 safe for everyday use? Probably not but guy said it's gonna be his track use map...
Yeah. I saw it. I’m calling happy dyno. The guy is on here as well. He posted his logs and he was super leaned out. He then lowered his boost. I would have to find the thread, but he is at like 24 peak. Even at that I’m surprised because I ran out of fueling with the is20 and the JB4 using e30. There is no way he is hitting the same boost and not going lean. I would guess he is around 23 peak on a log and somewhere around 320whp/350wtq. A few guys dynoed the is20 on e30 and were in the 315/35x range. There was more boost left in the is20, but the fueling wasn’t there. So I really can’t see it supporting more power than that

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Yeah. I saw it. I’m calling happy dyno. The guy is on here as well. He posted his logs and he was super leaned out. He then lowered his boost. I would have to find the thread, but he is at like 24 peak. Even at that I’m surprised because I ran out of fueling with the is20 and the JB4 using e30. There is no way he is hitting the same boost and not going lean. I would guess he is around 23 peak on a log and somewhere around 320whp/350wtq. A few guys dynoed the is20 on e30 and were in the 315/35x range. There was more boost left in the is20, but the fueling wasn’t there. So I really can’t see it supporting more power than that
I was going to say, unless JB4 can accommodate a 2.0 Fuel pump swap and other things, Wouldn't he have had issues.. Still glad to see the 09G holding up under good power though, even if it might be a little higher than what he is really putting out.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Funny, I hit him up earlier with comments on his FB post and he was responsive. Says, yeah, leaned out but with ethanol that's OK and does insist it's stock fueling. Says most IS38 can't make enough boost normally, that's why you don't see many IS38 with only JB4 out there but thinks this specific IS38 is brand new and thinks it has a better waste gate, hmmm... Yeah, I'm not gonna risk that, I'll stick with IS20 with JB4 for my upgrade plan.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I was going to say, unless JB4 can accommodate a 2.0 Fuel pump swap and other things, Wouldn't he have had issues.. Still glad to see the 09G holding up under good power though, even if it might be a little higher than what he is really putting out.
Yeah, exactly, cool that the 09G is holding the power, but that's a verrrry friendly set up dyno and way leaned out, as he confirmed it was stock fueling. His theory is that there is a unicorn of a good wastegate on the brand new IS38 that's able to hold the boost, hmm.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
IS38 is brand new and thinks it has a better waste gate
Would really be something if a new wastegate was all you needed to pump out another ~60wtq over everybody else.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
His boost is what it is. He was lean as hell. Trims were 51 and AFR was 15’s when he was hitting 27psi. He backed it down to like 24 and went for more of an e20 blend. I think that is doable andhe was just tickling the max fueling that was available. I can see the is38 being a little more efficient and maybe get away with coming close to the same boost if the is20. I was maxing about 24.x psi if I recall. So an is38 at that level of boost will make more than the is20, but not as much as the dyno shows. I also noticed that his timing advance was way lower than most other 1.8 cars. Since timing and boost is a trade off, it makes sense that his boost is a little bit higher. A guy Chris who did 316/361 on the JB4 and e30 had a lot less advance in his car and he was pushing 27+ psi. I think some early model cars ran less advance. I’ve seen many like this and they are usually a 2015. Not sure what year his is

JZMK6.5

Car(s)
Ea211
Not sure why I didn't get any emails notification of all these responses, but really appreciate it. Thanks for the info, super helpful.