GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question on 2021 Fender System

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Hoping someone can help before I tear into my car. I had an SE and ordered the Audison kit for it. A week later it was totaled so now I have a system that should be a step up from the fender system in my new autobahn but unsure I can use it.

from what I understand the older fender systems used most and the 2021 does not. So, how is audio transmitted to the factory amp now. Does it use the speaker outs on the head unit? Are they line or level out? If not are the pins present? Can you change them to active in VCDS if so how? Heard that the values needed for the MIB3 aren’t present yet in VCDS is this true? If so any idea when they will be?

Not in a huge hurry to install. With summer heat and an unconditioned garage wouldn’t be doing it till the fall anyways and if it isn’t compatible will just sell it since I am actually happy with the fender system.

Worst case if no one knows I can install it outside of the final position and see what signals I get and if it plays and then hookup VCDS to try to figure out the other part.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I feel for you, that is complicated having a 2021 with a newer style Fender system. I can't offer much to help unfortunately as I'm not familiar with the 2021. Are you able to pop out the head unit in the glovebox to check and see if the wires/pins are present for the speaker wires? Shouldn't require very much disassembly to check. Considering the APSP kit pulls power from the connector you could potentially do a test fit if the speaker wires are present.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I feel for you, that is complicated having a 2021 with a newer style Fender system. I can't offer much to help unfortunately as I'm not familiar with the 2021. Are you able to pop out the head unit in the glovebox to check and see if the wires/pins are present for the speaker wires? Shouldn't require very much disassembly to check. Considering the APSP kit pulls power from the connector you could potentially do a test fit if the speaker wires are present.
Yeah. I have the tools. That is the easiest way. Should be obvious once I do.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Looks like it does not use the speaker out on the head unit. The 8 slot area is blank. My guess without most it may be using can bus to the amp. Now just need to trace some wires and try to figure it out.

Attachments

• DAE0B62E-6E4E-4634-8D8D-69FA154C1F53.jpeg
    DAE0B62E-6E4E-4634-8D8D-69FA154C1F53.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
One other forum member believes the 2021 they started transitioning to similar systems as the mk8 because we are one of the few regions to get a 2021 mk7. He said he believes it is using the can fd like the mk8. He ordered a mk8 digital dash which uses can fd instead of most to test out functionality. Until the 2021 values are in vcds I think we are stuck though. I’ll see if I can see anything for the factory stereo and try tracing wires to see where the speakers connect to since it does not appear to be the head unit and I can’t find an amp unless there is one hidden elsewhere besides under the seats. The sub one is built into the enclosure.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmmm........ if the car has an external amplifier, the "raw" audio data between the MIB and the amplifier is carried over 2 x optical fiber cables. The reason for 2 x cables is because the system uses what's called a "ring" topology - meaning that for successful communications the signal is sent from the initiating module to the receiving and it must subsequently be returned-back to the initiating module. If you have a digital dashboard, the data transfer uses exactly to same optical fiber network (i.e. the hex17 module is also connected to the "ring")

Don
PS: I'm not completely sure about Yankee cars - but ALL VWs in other countries have an entirely separate system of speakers when an external amp is installed - they are connected directly to the amp. There is a set of software switches on the long-code string on the hex5F module (MIB - the unit in the glove-box)) that determines which speakers are used

PPS: Again, I'm not sure about the Audison kit, but if you are intending to change any part of the infotainment system, it's normal to encounter "Component Protection". CP is a type of security system that is meant to combat the black market trade in stolen parts. You won't be able to use the retrofitted equipment until the CP errors are cleared - Officially, only registered dealers can clear these errors (VCDS/OBD11/VCP can't be used for this purpose)

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
hmmm........ if the car has an external amplifier, the "raw" audio data between the MIB and the amplifier is carried over 2 x optical fiber cables. The reason for 2 x cables is because the system uses what's called a "ring" topology - meaning that for successful communications the signal is sent from the initiating module to the receiving and it must subsequently be returned-back to the initiating module. If you have a digital dashboard, the data transfer uses exactly to same optical fiber network (i.e. the hex17 module is also connected to the "ring")

Don
PS: I'm not completely sure about Yankee cars - but ALL VWs in other countries have an entirely separate system of speakers when an external amp is installed - they are connected to the amp. There is a set of software switches on the long-code string on the hex5F module (MIB - the ubit in the glove-box)) that determines which speakers are used
Sure. The 2 fibers are supposed to be on the unit in the glovebox which they aren’t on the 2021. Wondering if it is picking it up from elsewhere. I’m going to tear into it sometime in the next couple of weeks. I know I should be able to activate the pins on the unit in the glovebox by changing to non fender system with VCDS. I was hoping for MOST but the processor I plan to use can take high level 12 channel so I may just splice into the amp output and call it a day

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
One more question if anyone knows. Is there a part number for the 8 pin connector in the glovebox to the front and rear doors and tweeters? Would still love to get the Audison kit in since I am sure it will sound better than the fender. 10” bs 6.5” sub.

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Google VW 3B7 035 447 for the brown 8 pin connector.

But it's a lot cheaper to just browse ebay for a used VW or Audi radio harness, that has it included. So you'll already have the pins and wires already included.