GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for the Pure White GTIs (bumper/body paint mismatch)

VadGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Especially 7.5s.

I bought my Mk7.5 in January. A few weeks later, I pulled a bonehead move and failed to notice a low wall as I was pulling out of a parking space. Result?

I just got it back from the paint shop and I feel like there's a paint mismatch between the bumper and quarter panel. It's driving me insane. Some people think they see it when I point it out, some don't. It seems to show up in some lighting conditions but not others, for me at least. The car had 800 miles on it at the time of the incident and the quarter and door were painted, the bumper was not touched.

So, here's the question: Do all Pure Whites have a slight paint mismatch between bumpers/body at some angles/lighting conditions? I know flex agents in bumper paint may cause some mismatch, but I hadn't noticed this in 800 miles of driving and can't tell if this is excessive. Here's what it looks like post-repair:

Sorta visible here:

Terrible pic of what it looks like now (apologies, not driving the car due to the current "stay at home" order).

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
Tough to see from pics but looks like they didn't bother to blend the panels

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Kind of odd they didn't use the same paint when they did the quarter panel and the rear bumper.
It's usually the bumper's other non-repaired side of the car that doesn't match the factory paint.

VadGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Kind of odd they didn't use the same paint when they did the quarter panel and the rear bumper.
It's usually the bumper's other non-repaired side of the car that doesn't match the factory paint.

They didn't paint the bumper. Just the quarter, door and blended into the roof line. Bumper paint is still OEM.

Here are some more comparison shots:

vs.

vs.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
You might be a little OCD like me, too. I'm going to say that I think this is just a phenomenon of modern manufacturing that paint on plastic responds a little differently than paint on metal. Is it due to blenders, solvents, etc? Who knows.

I say this because I've paid close to other cars I pull up next to a stop lights and in parking lots. Now that I know to look for it, I wont be able to "un-see" it.

The ultimate test – do you notice a color shift between the front panels and your front bumper. (Likely answer... yes.)

VadGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The ultimate test – do you notice a color shift between the front panels and your front bumper. (Likely answer... yes.)

There's some difference but not nearly as extreme, to my eyes at least. Maybe it's the OCD talking.

It almost seems like the bumper is slightly darker on the driver's side (undamaged) and slightly lighter on the passenger side (the damaged side). Since the bumper wasn't painted, it leads me to believe the quarter panel isn't matching the rest of the car, but it seems to match the doors and fenders. This OCD is driving me insane :D.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm not OCD and that looks like ass to me. It's not 1970, nowadays a body shop that gives a crap about their work can easily match paint colors MUCH better than this poor effort here. I'd make them re-do it, but only if you can convince the owner/manager to agree with you that it's not up to their standards. If he fights you on it or thinks it looks "fine", I probably wouldn't want them to touch it again, and would find another shop to do it right.

cb1111

There's some difference but not nearly as extreme, to my eyes at least. Maybe it's the OCD talking.

It almost seems like the bumper is slightly darker on the driver's side (undamaged) and slightly lighter on the passenger side (the damaged side). Since the bumper wasn't painted, it leads me to believe the quarter panel isn't matching the rest of the car, but it seems to match the doors and fenders. This OCD is driving me insane :D.
You're close. When they painted the quarter panel/door, they blended it up the C pillar but didn't blend it with the bumper.

That said, most bumpers (from the factory) are slightly different because of the flex agent, but both sides should be equally "off". Perhaps you should have a talk with the body shop and report back here.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
They didn't paint the bumper. Just the quarter, door and blended into the roof line. Bumper paint is still OEM.

Yeah, you're right for some reason I was thinking it was the parting line between the quarter and rear bumper.
I can tell the difference for certain, the new paint is a colder/bluer hue. I would have that redone.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
That the Chase bank on Balboa??

I can't really see the difference. It could be the screen on my laptop.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I cant tell any difference but then again my eyes are horrible.

Don't feel bad. My eyes are horrible also. Need cataract surgery. But I couldn't see any difference in the OP's pictures with the light reflecting differently on the surfaces.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Mine are fine. I see no issue in these many shots.