GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about retrofitting ACC

rahankuivaaja

Car(s)
2014 Golf Variant
Hi,

I am planning to retrofit ACC to my 2014 Golf Variant if it is possible. I found this thread about the subject but I am still not sure if it is possible for me to retrofit ACC. My main questions being: do I have the right ABS system and do I need front facing camera?

I have the following modules / parts:

ABS Brakes: 5Q0 907 379 AA
I also have electronic parking brake

CAN Gateway High: 5G0 907 530 M

MIB1 Radio module: 5G0 035 819 A
(if it is relevant)

I am planning to buy these modules / parts if retrofitting is possible:

ACC Radar: 5Q0 907 561 D

ACC Socket: 4F0 972 708

Thanks.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
You dont need the lane assist camera, but they work together so they should be done together. As for the ABS, i honestly dont know if anyone knows which ABS modules work with ACC and which ones dont. I was told that i needed to change my module, tried the retrofit anyway. Turned out i didnt need it. There are a couple of others on the forums that have had the same experience. The gateway is kinda old. Might be worth it to change to a 3Q0, they are cheap enough. One thing you are forgetting is the rear ABS sensors. You need the bi directional sensors for ACC to work. Not sure of the part numbers, they are easy enough to find with a little searching.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Agreed with the above. I know I will say I had ACC worked out the front camera for a long time and it was still great. Even if I did not plan to do front camera I would do ACC.

Your ABS should be fine. If you don't have any front assist already will need to replace you crash bar with one that has the mount. You'll also need bumper lower grill. You also need steering wheel buttons.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
From what I remember, the *379AA ABS module is one of the 46-pin modules and thus assured to work.
I think, too, that if you have EPB (electronic parking brake), you'll have the correct rear wheel ABS sensors (again - not 100% sure).

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Just to add: I googled the ABS part number and found this site, which included the following (emphasis added):

New! ABS/ESC HYDRAULIC UNIT, ABS unit with control unit

/* Volkswagen PR Numbers / Equipment code:
[8T0] - (!) without cruise control system (CCS)
[8T2] - (!) cruise control system (CCS) electronic
[8T5] - (!) adaptive cruise control
[8T6] - (!) cruise control system plus speed limiter
[8T7] - (!) adaptive cruise control (w/o "follow-to-stop") and speed limiter
[UH2] - (!) parking brake

ABS Pump assy.
VW 5Q0614517T / Ate 10.0220-0373.4

Ate Controller / Steuergeraet ESC
VW 5Q0907379AA / 5Q0907379G
Ate 10.0915-4346.3 / 10.0622-3639.1 / 28.5154-0208.3

Replacement:
5Q0614517T >> aktual
5Q0907379AA >> 5Q0907375AA
5Q0907379G >> 5Q0907375G >> 5Q0907375S

Vehicle applicability:
(09/2013-05/2014) Audi A3 (8VA/8VS/8V1) /* [8T0,8T2,8T5]
(10/2013-05/2014) Audi A3 Cabrio (8V7) /* [8T0,8T2,8T5]
(09/2013-05/2014) VW Golf VII (5G1) /*
[8T0,8T2,8T5,8T6,8T7]
(09/2013-05/2014) VW Golf VII Variant (BA5) /* [8T0,8T2,8T5,8T6,8T7+UH2]

rahankuivaaja

Car(s)
2014 Golf Variant
Thank you both for your replies.
You dont need the lane assist camera, but they work together so they should be done together. As for the ABS, i honestly dont know if anyone knows which ABS modules work with ACC and which ones dont. I was told that i needed to change my module, tried the retrofit anyway. Turned out i didnt need it. There are a couple of others on the forums that have had the same experience. The gateway is kinda old. Might be worth it to change to a 3Q0, they are cheap enough. One thing you are forgetting is the rear ABS sensors. You need the bi directional sensors for ACC to work. Not sure of the part numbers, they are easy enough to find with a little searching.
After some research I found someone saying that if I have park assist (which I do) then I should have the correct bi-directional rear abs sensors. Also, about the front camera, do I need to replace some parts of the mirror? I can change the windshield (I need to change it anyways) to one with hole for the camera but how do I manage to fit it in there correctly since the car is equipped with rain sensor and light sensor.
Agreed with the above. I know I will say I had ACC worked out the front camera for a long time and it was still great. Even if I did not plan to do front camera I would do ACC.

Your ABS should be fine. If you don't have any front assist already will need to replace you crash bar with one that has the mount. You'll also need bumper lower grill. You also need steering wheel buttons.
After even more research I found out someone saying that the circuit board on the non ACC and ACC steering wheel buttons are exactly the same, only difference being some plastic clip that you can adjust. Also do I really need to change the crash bar? Is it possible to just drill the mounting holes to the existing one and then calibrating the sensor (assuming I can get it to work in the first place)?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thank you both for your replies.

After some research I found someone saying that if I have park assist (which I do) then I should have the correct bi-directional rear abs sensors. Also, about the front camera, do I need to replace some parts of the mirror? I can change the windshield (I need to change it anyways) to one with hole for the camera but how do I manage to fit it in there correctly since the car is equipped with rain sensor and light sensor.
Bi-directional abs sensors are cheap and easy to replace, but you probably have them already with park assist. If you change the windshield you need the matching mirror and trim pieces, and wiring of course. It will look like this, one of my old posts. If you decide to go with the camera we can discuss part numbers numbers

After even more research I found out someone saying that the circuit board on the non ACC and ACC steering wheel buttons are exactly the same, only difference being some plastic clip that you can adjust.
You will be the first person that I've read about to get ACC working without switching the buttons. But I can tell you with certainty that having the wrong buttons will create errors. You're on your own if you decide against changing buttons. I can offer no help with that 😬.

Also do I really need to change the crash bar? Is it possible to just drill the mounting holes to the existing one and then calibrating the sensor (assuming I can get it to work in the first place)?
The crash bar (with foam) sits behind the bumper. The ACC sensor bracket is attached to the crash bar and places the sensor below the crash bar, in the lower grill area. Drilling holes in the crash bar won't work because the sensor would then be inside of your front bumper. I suppose you could weld a bracket of some type to your crash bar to line it up with the proper lower grill, and hope it will calibrate. I would not do this personally.

If you decide on a custom bracket it needs to line up with the grill cutout, see my pictures here.
Scroll down to the Assembly section here to see the crash bar, ACC retrofit page
(all the info here is not completely current but it's great overall view)

rahankuivaaja

Car(s)
2014 Golf Variant
Bi-directional abs sensors are cheap and easy to replace, but you probably have them already with park assist. If you change the windshield you need the matching mirror and trim pieces, and wiring of course. It will look like this, one of my old posts. If you decide to go with the camera we can discuss part numbers numbers

You will be the first person that I've read about to get ACC working without switching the buttons. But I can tell you with certainty that having the wrong buttons will create errors. You're on your own if you decide against changing buttons. I can offer no help with that 😬.

The crash bar (with foam) sits behind the bumper. The ACC sensor bracket is attached to the crash bar and places the sensor below the crash bar, in the lower grill area. Drilling holes in the crash bar won't work because the sensor would then be inside of your front bumper. I suppose you could weld a bracket of some type to your crash bar to line it up with the proper lower grill, and hope it will calibrate. I would not do this personally.

If you decide on a custom bracket it needs to line up with the grill cutout, see my pictures here.
Scroll down to the Assembly section here to see the crash bar, ACC retrofit page
(all the info here is not completely current but it's great overall view)
Thank you for all the info. I think I will first of all try to connect the radar to the car without mounting it anywhere and see if I can even get it working coding wise since the radar I have is apparently extra hard to get working. Then if I can get that to work I will start to look for the remaining parts that I need (crash bar, bracket, buttons, etc) and also if I will add the camera too. I will update here how it goes when I connect the radar to the car.