GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about MIB2

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Hello all, so I’ve been curious on something and keep getting confused as to whether I have MIB2 or MIB2.5

I have a ‘19 GTI SE. So that means I have no NAV. So I’m assuming I have the MIB2? Has anyone with the MIB2 retrofitted MIB2.5 to get NAV, which including swapping their infotainment screen that has the APP button on the top right corner to NAV. Then swap the entire head unit from the glove box.
Curious to know if anyone has.

if so, was it difficult in terms of sourcing out the parts? What are the part numbers to complete the retrofit? How extensive was the coding?

thanks!

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Hello all, so I’ve been curious on something and keep getting confused as to whether I have MIB2 or MIB2.5

I have a ‘19 GTI SE. So that means I have no NAV. So I’m assuming I have the MIB2? Has anyone with the MIB2 retrofitted MIB2.5 to get NAV, which including swapping their infotainment screen that has the APP button on the top right corner to NAV. Then swap the entire head unit from the glove box.
Curious to know if anyone has.

if so, was it difficult in terms of sourcing out the parts? What are the part numbers to complete the retrofit? How extensive was the coding?

thanks!
You’ve got MIB2. Paging @Cuzoe on the 2.5 upgrade deets.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Somebody rang, haha...

@MeRP2S MIB 2.5 is the 9" all glass screen. It is Discover Pro; so has navigation, stores maps internally (loaded from SD card but the card doesn't have to stay in), supports showing maps on the main screen and digital dash at the same time, blah blah. It has no app button though. It sounds like you are actually interested in replacing your MIB II (non-nav) with MIB II (with nav). For that it's not a requirement that you replace the screen (you can get to nav/car-play/etc through the menus) but you could replace the screen if you want the Nav button. I am also going to assume you have a "good" reason for wanting to use factory nav instead of Carplay/Android Auto, but keep in mind factory nav is a pain to update and will only have traffic aware routing if you also subscribe to XM traffic info.

Before going MIB 2.5... I had retrofitted MIB 2 (non-nav) and then later retrofitted MIB 2 (with nav). In your case you would need to pick up an MIB 2 nav unit, probably a GPS antenna which can be mounted on the dash, and the screen, if you want to change it. This is all assuming your main unit is in the glovebox (I think only the later GTI S's came with an all-in-one unit behind the screen).

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Somebody rang, haha...

@MeRP2S MIB 2.5 is the 9" all glass screen. It is Discover Pro; so has navigation, stores maps internally (loaded from SD card but the card doesn't have to stay in), supports showing maps on the main screen and digital dash at the same time, blah blah. It has no app button though. It sounds like you are actually interested in replacing your MIB II (non-nav) with MIB II (with nav). For that it's not a requirement that you replace the screen (you can get to nav/car-play/etc through the menus) but you could replace the screen if you want the Nav button. I am also going to assume you have a "good" reason for wanting to use factory nav instead of Carplay/Android Auto, but keep in mind factory nav is a pain to update and will only have traffic aware routing if you also subscribe to XM traffic info.

Before going MIB 2.5... I had retrofitted MIB 2 (non-nav) and then later retrofitted MIB 2 (with nav). In your case you would need to pick up an MIB 2 nav unit, probably a GPS antenna which can be mounted on the dash, and the screen, if you want to change it. This is all assuming your main unit is in the glovebox (I think only the later GTI S's came with an all-in-one unit behind the screen).
Thanks for this! Exactly what I was looking for. I don’t have a good reason, down the road I plan on retrofitting a digital dash cluster on my MK7.5 and thought I’d be cool to have NAV on the screen as well. However I always use NAV with carplay and I guess there’s not a good point in doing this retrofit. By the sounds of it, I think itlll probably be best to just stick with what I have now or if I wanted to down the road too, swap to the 9” glass screen

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks for this! Exactly what I was looking for. I don’t have a good reason, down the road I plan on retrofitting a digital dash cluster on my MK7.5 and thought I’d be cool to have NAV on the screen as well. However I always use NAV with carplay and I guess there’s not a good point in doing this retrofit. By the sounds of it, I think itlll probably be best to just stick with what I have now or if I wanted to down the road too, swap to the 9” glass screen
Gotcha... it's too bad the maps from Carplay/Android Auto can't be sent to the digital dash. My typical driving "setup" is App-connect on the main screen, OEM nav map in the digital dash, which I also retrofitted. Sounds like that might be where you're at down the line too.

I don't know how hard it will be to find decently priced used MIB 2 nav units in the future. The prices were quite low a couple years ago but are pretty high right now. I haven't recently seen the unit I had (3Q0 035 876 A) going for less than 3x what I paid in 2018, but maybe there's a more recent part number out there. That aside, the price of a new digital dash (assuming you care about having the odometer match, if not you can buy used) has also gone up about $300 since I bought mine a couple years ago. I would keep an eye on the prices of both.

If you want to be able to view OEM nav maps on both the main screen and digital dash at the same time you need Discover Pro. MIB 2.5 is Discover Pro only but you can also get MIB II Discover Pro and keep your existing screen. If you, like me, don't really have a need to see OEM maps in both places I would probably not spend the money on MIB 2.5. The only thing you would gain is the 9.2" screen, at a total cost of about $2k (main unit, screen, trim and activation/coding).

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Gotcha... it's too bad the maps from Carplay/Android Auto can't be sent to the digital dash. My typical driving "setup" is App-connect on the main screen, OEM nav map in the digital dash, which I also retrofitted. Sounds like that might be where you're at down the line too.

I don't know how hard it will be to find decently priced used MIB 2 nav units in the future. The prices were quite low a couple years ago but are pretty high right now. I haven't recently seen the unit I had (3Q0 035 876 A) going for less than 3x what I paid in 2018, but maybe there's a more recent part number out there. That aside, the price of a new digital dash (assuming you care about having the odometer match, if not you can buy used) has also gone up about $300 since I bought mine a couple years ago. I would keep an eye on the prices of both.

If you want to be able to view OEM nav maps on both the main screen and digital dash at the same time you need Discover Pro. MIB 2.5 is Discover Pro only but you can also get MIB II Discover Pro and keep your existing screen. If you, like me, don't really have a need to see OEM maps in both places I would probably not spend the money on MIB 2.5. The only thing you would gain is the 9.2" screen, at a total cost of about $2k (main unit, screen, trim and activation/coding).
Yeah I think the way I’ll be doing it down the line is just upgrading to MIB 2 Discover Pro since I don’t care too much on having the OEM maps on both the digital dash and main screen. I like my knobs on the 8” glass screen so I’ll probably stick to that rather than upgrading to the 9.2” anyways.

So if I understand this correctly, I can keep my current main screen, swap to a MIB 2 Discover Pro main unit (glove box unit), and assuming I already have the digital dash installed, I’ll be able to view the OEM maps on the digital dash OR main screen BUT not together, correct?

And you are correct about the Prices, they’re pretty high up there. I believe the US digital dash is running a little over $1k. I haven’t checked the MIB 2 Discover Pro unit only because I can’t source out a part number. But I would imagine they’re pricey as well.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

The used mileage digital dash is the reason I watch the donor car's mileage so close. I’ll find one with like 10k on it and wait for the GTI to get there and do the swap.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@MeRP2S That's mostly correct. If you only need to see OEM nav maps in one place at a time you can get a MIB 2 Discover Navigation unit.

From memory, Pro gets you the following:
- Nav maps stored internally... you don't need to keep the maps SD inserted, not a big deal unless you want to keep two SD cards of music/movies/pictures inserted
- Jukebox... Let's you rip CD's to the internal storage of the unit, works fine but not much storage, better to rip to an SD card where album art is supported
- OEM nav maps on main unit and digital dash simultaneously... not a big deal if you're using app-connect on the main screen
- DVD Playback... Surprisingly nice to have on road trips, if you'll use it
- Movie Playback from SD cards (this may be available on non-Pro)... Never tried it, not sure what formats are supported

Assuming those features aren't a big deal, you can look for an MIB 2 Discover Navigation unit instead of MIB 2 Discover Pro and save some coin.

@Corprin How much do you drive, haha. I would love to sell my digital dash (which is at ~21,000 miles). My car has ~45,000 but my dealer didn't set the odometer on the digital dash when I had it installed 😤. I was so excited to have it installed and working that I didn't notice until the first time at the gas station 🤦🏿‍♂️. At that point I'd passed the 100km threshold at which point the dash is no longer "new" and odometer adjustment is locked out.

I've been hoping to find a buyer that is below my current (but climbing, as it's my daily) mileage and willing to wait until their car catches up for their install; or doesn't mind the mismatch. The mismatch bothers me but I can't bring myself to spring for a second new dash without selling the first one to offset the cost. At least not while I have other mods I want to make on the car.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
@MeRP2S That's mostly correct. If you only need to see OEM nav maps in one place at a time you can get a MIB 2 Discover Navigation unit.

- Nav maps stored internally... you don't need to keep the maps SD inserted, not a big deal unless you want to keep two SD cards of music/movies/pictures inserted
- Jukebox... Let's you rip CD's to the internal storage of the unit, works fine but not much storage, better to rip to an SD card where album art is supported
- OEM nav maps on main unit and digital dash simultaneously... not a big deal if you're using app-connect on the main screen
- Movie Playback from SD cards (this may be available on non-Pro)... Never tried it, not sure what formats are supported

Assuming those features aren't a big deal, you can look for an MIB 2 Discover Navigation unit instead of MIB 2 Discover Pro and save some coin.

@Corprin How much do you drive, haha. I would love to sell my digital dash (which is at ~21,000 miles). My car has ~45,000 but my dealer didn't set the odometer on the digital dash when I had it installed 😤. I was so excited to have it installed and working that I didn't notice until the first time at the gas station 🤦🏿‍♂️. At that point I'd passed the 100km threshold at which point the dash is no longer "new" and odometer adjustment is locked out.

I've been hoping to find a buyer that is below my current (but climbing, as it's my daily) mileage and willing to wait until their car catches up for their install; or doesn't mind the mismatch. The mismatch bothers me but I can't bring myself to spring for a second new dash without selling the first one to offset the cost. At least not while I have other mods I want to make on the car.

I’m at 7500 in the GTI, but 17k on the Alltrack. Would CP still need to be unlocked? Of are we talking plug and play?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
CP has to be taken care of in all cases, as does immobilizer and pairing of your key(s). The process is the same whether the dash is new or used. The only difference is that odometer can't be adjusted on a dash (analog or digital) after 100km.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Have you spoken to your dealer about setting the mileage on a new dash unit? Would they be willing to take your word of "Ok, set the milage for 46,271"? Seems like something they'd be hesitant to do due to potential odometer fraud.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

You know you can increase the mileage on the bench, right?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Have you spoken to your dealer about setting the mileage on a new dash unit? Would they be willing to take your word of "Ok, set the milage for 46,271"? Seems like something they'd be hesitant to do due to potential odometer fraud.
That is exactly the problem I have with my digital dash. I bought it new so it read 0 miles. At install the odometer can (and should) be changed to match the mileage of the car it's installed in. But after 100km or 60ish miles the odometer can no longer be changed; it's now locked.

When the dealer installed my digital dash my car was at ~25k but they did not match the odometer. I only look at the odometer when I am at the gas station because I track my fuel economy. Otherwise, the cruise control symbol is always in place of the odometer display. So after the install I didn't notice that the dealer failed to match the new dash to my car's mileage and I had already driven a couple hundred miles. I took it back to them and they were unable to change it. I posted it about in a few places, including here, and was told about the lock after 100km.

You know you can increase the mileage on the bench, right?
I do not know that. How is it done, and on the bench do you mean something I can do in the car? Or an actual bench using tools I probably don't have, haha. I understand that reducing mileage would not be "allowed" but I didn't see why they would prevent increasing mileage. Still, the dealer wasn't able to do it and I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
That is exactly the problem I have with my digital dash. I bought it new so it read 0 miles. At install the odometer can (and should) be changed to match the mileage of the car it's installed in. But after 100km or 60ish miles the odometer can no longer be changed; it's now locked.

When the dealer installed my digital dash my car was at ~25k but they did not match the odometer. I only look at the odometer when I am at the gas station because I track my fuel economy. Otherwise, the cruise control symbol is always in place of the odometer display. So after the install I didn't notice that the dealer failed to match the new dash to my car's mileage and I had already driven a couple hundred miles. I took it back to them and they were unable to change it. I posted it about in a few places, including here, and was told about the lock after 100km.

I do not know that. How is it done, and on the bench do you mean something I can do in the car? Or an actual bench using tools I probably don't have, haha. I understand that reducing mileage would not be "allowed" but I didn't see why they would prevent increasing mileage. Still, the dealer wasn't able to do it and I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.
You essentially just hook up the CAN lines to a USB CAN dongle and run use some software that sends CAN commands tricking the cluster into thinking it's doing 170mph.

I increased mine by 27,521 miles over 6 days of constant increasing.