GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't understand why you are having such shitty luck with oil surge. When I had my car on the dyno for tuning, did 6 - 7 pulls and my catch can was empty. I thought for sure it would be full but it wasn't. Don't give up, you will eventually figure it out.

Doesn't it have something to do with the fact that he's racing with lots of turns? I didn't think his problem was blowby.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Oil surge issue only at the track because I'm using stock PCV... using stock PCV because with an aftermarket catch can/PCV plate, the can fills just doing a few standard street pulls, which is wild.

So people say "hey it's blowby", but I don't understand why I don't have oil dumped into my turbo doing street pulls with a stock PCV plate on if it's blowby... Actually don't have ANY problems doing street pulls, or anything straight line, with stock PCV plate.. And if it IS blowby, I have a very healthy leak down test, so to me that would mean the ventilation provided by the aftermarket plates just isn't enough, rather than the motor being unhealthy... Makes me wonder if tapping an extra port for ventilation would work.

I mean, am I in denial with the motor health? I'm pretty sure <10% leakage on all cylinders is pretty healthy. Can anyone dispute this?

I feel like running a catch can with a drain to the oil pan for track days would do the trick, but then again I'm not 100% sure it would effectively drain from the can to the pan.

Regardless, yesterday I was black flagged and told I could no longer run after just a couple of sessions, because the thick clouds were actually hazardous to other drivers. I think it was mainly due to the wind direction yesterday, with the thick cloud wafting right down the straightaway, blinding drivers even several seconds behind. lol.

IMG_0866.JPG

I managed to set a PB before I got kicked off so that was cool. Car has a ton left in it. However I don't think I have the patience to try the catch can theory and wait a month for the next track day just to get kicked off again. When I could spend that month parting out and getting into a new car.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How much power do you have? I think the motor sounds pretty healthy. I don't it's possible to have that much blowby and the motor still run so well.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
What if you just replace the engine? Find a slightly used one and transfer all your aftermarket internals to the new one.
Sounds expensive and time consuming lol.

How much power do you have? I think the motor sounds pretty healthy. I don't it's possible to have that much blowby and the motor still run so well.
I made 524whp with the V2 on a Mustang dyno, they told me it's low-reading so I assume it's a true Mustang dyno... if that's really true then that's like 580whp Dynojet. Haven't made it to the dyno with the V3 yet.

On that note the wastegate is fixed with the new hotside I got, it hasn't loosened at all. I have less lag and like 20% better duty, so turbo is doing great. It feels really nice and responsive at the track, I am actually really impressed with how much power and response I have in the slow corners, I was expecting to not have much. E85 has something to do with that I'm sure.

Going to send Moose some more logs and try to dyno soon and see how we're doing now that it's consistently 90+ degrees F outside :LOL:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I dont think running the line to the oil pan will be that effective. I'm having the same problem and did a pressure test with the vwr catchcan and noticed the dipstick tube was about 2 psi coming out to the gauge, not really sure what that value is supposed to be but I know its supposed to be a negative value as in vacuum. Your best bet is to run the OEM pcv and catchcan but instead of run the line from the can to the inlet, just put a breather filter on it and cap the inlet.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I've also thought about drilling a hole in the vwr pcv plate and adding a breather vent there because these engines do not have enough ventilation at high boost pressure big power levels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I dont think running the line to the oil pan will be that effective. I'm having the same problem and did a pressure test with the vwr catchcan and noticed the dipstick tube was about 2 psi coming out to the gauge, not really sure what that value is supposed to be but I know its supposed to be a negative value as in vacuum. Your best bet is to run the OEM pcv and catchcan but instead of run the line from the can to the inlet, just put a breather filter on it and cap the inlet.

My experience was if you run the OEM PCV valve and a catchcan the catchcan won't collect anything. My last car was a Veloster Turbo and it doesn't have any factory system that tries to help with blowby like a GTI does. So when I put an OCC on the Veloster it worked as expected and collected blowby. When I installed the same OCC on the GTI it didn't collect anything. I was told to get the Spulen OCC which deletes the PCV. Prior to installing the Spulen OCC I could remove the oil cap with the engine running and air was being sucked into the crankcase. After installing the Spulen OCC oil spits out of the oil cap when the engine is running. Obviously I'm far from an expert but I can't help but think that Quebsters problem is something isn't plumbed properly if the Spulen OCC is filling up in such a short time. The testing he has done shows that the engine is pretty healthy.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I'm not really sure to be honest. There are a few and I know wolf mentioned it when he went xona big turbo he couldn't even route the pcv line to the inlet for that reason. Its definitely happening, just not as common for whatever reason. I do think that it's happening to more people than they realize because they may not realize their crankcase is slightly pressurized because you're not always gonna get massive oil blow by like queb is getting.