GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Another thing is I got a buddy with a built motor with almost 20% leakage in cylinders 1 and 4 and he isn't having issues filling the catch can. I have <10% cyl 1 and <5% on 2,3,4. We both used my gauges. Not sure what to make of that.

I'm also considering running a line from my catch can drain to my oil pan. I mean why not. With aftermarket PCV attached, I just get a ton of oil dumped into the can, but I don't get the oil surge smoke issue.
My buddy said his customers with built/big turbo GTR's have that issue. He builds a catch can with an oil drain back to the pan. These dudes do oil changes much more often than recommended, but it keeps them from running low. Remember the oil going back to the pan will have more gas in it than it should, it'll slowly lose viscosity.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So I do think an iAbed pan, now that I understand what it is designed to do, will help my PCV issue at the track. On top of that, I also think that a catch can in conjunction with the OEM PCV (or aftermarket, I just prefer OEM) system, with a drain to the oil pan, should fix my PCV woes, if the iAbed pan doesn't fix it completely.

However I've also had to tighten the wastegate on my V3 4 times and it keeps loosening, which makes me think something is bending. Which could mean I'll have to replace the turbo... again. So I can't help but have this feeling that I will never be done with my issues.

So that is pushing me towards parting out. Any of you with more experience have any words of wisdom? This is the first car I have bought for myself, modded, loved, etc etc, so I don't have a lot of experience with... "moving on". Honestly my heart is still in the car but I am tired of missing track seasons and the car being down for months at a time... So I'm pretty stuck on what I should do.

The only reason I'm kind of in a "hurry" is because of all of the deals going on with COVID and all. Seems like if I want to get into another car, now would be the time.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Trying to stay away from cars that you'd have to tune to get the power you want... lol big selling point of the ZL1 1LE is that it's powerful and track ready completely stock with warranty in tact

Navi

Autocross Champion
So I do think an iAbed pan, now that I understand what it is designed to do, will help my PCV issue at the track. On top of that, I also think that a catch can in conjunction with the OEM PCV (or aftermarket, I just prefer OEM) system, with a drain to the oil pan, should fix my PCV woes, if the iAbed pan doesn't fix it completely.

The only reason I'm kind of in a "hurry" is because of all of the deals going on with COVID and all. Seems like if I want to get into another car, now would be the time.

That's smart.. basically changing the oil catch can into an air oil separator. That's what all the STI and GTR guys run. Basically a smart oil catch can.

The deals will be around for awhile. Even when COVID is under control (still months); economy will still be still shit.

Let me know about that bumper.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
But then you have the same car as everyone else.
You're not wrong. And that's something pulling on me. BUT if I had "the same car as everyone else" in this case then I wouldn't have missed 2+ years of track seasons. Sooo... Seems not worth it to me right now. Buddy and I started tracking at the same time. Him with a stock SS 1LE, me with my POS GTI... and guess who's an instructor now? lol obviously not me. So there is definitely that to consider.

That's smart.. basically changing the oil catch can into an air oil separator. That's what all the STI and GTR guys run. Basically a smart oil catch can.

The deals will be around for awhile. Even when COVID is under control (still months); economy will still be still shit.

Let me know about that bumper.
You are first on my list to reach out to about the bumper, lmao. Although if someone local wants it, they might get dibs, sorry man... going to be hard to ship it

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
autox. Never seen anyone say "Ima get this Mk4 Supra for an autox build." Let alone find one for sale that doesn't cost more than a MK5.

You're right, nobody gets one to do auto-x events. They are killers for the 1/4 mile track or streets. Maybe occasionally you'll see one at a drift contest.

Navi

Autocross Champion
You are first on my list to reach out to about the bumper, lmao. Although if someone local wants it, they might get dibs, sorry man... going to be hard to ship it

no. I'll pay for shipping.