GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Installed the new CircuitWerks Turbo-back this past Sunday, and man it sounds pretty beastly. Will have to update with pics/vids soon. From what I can tell, it's pretty comparable to the AWE Track TBE, but I would say it's not quite as loud at cruise and not near as 'droney' thanks to the resonator that is in place of the cat. It's 3" all the way through, with a single muffler in the middle, and fully adjustable 4" tips. It looks very nice and clean, and there is a small resonator where the cat would be (I went catless). It's also made from T304 stainless, which means zero rust. I need to readjust the rear, I installed the back piece a tad bit uneven so I have one tip higher than the other, and I need to tuck the tips in a bit more. This new TB has ZERO of the fitment/install issues that were present with the original CircuitWerks downpipe (which I had on until installing this). CircuitWerks has released 10 of these for now, with official release coming around January time frame. They're only $899 shipped catless, an insanely low price for a full turbo back system. I highly recommend this product. If anyone happens to read this and is wanting one, I believe they have about 5 left of the "early release." You will NOT find a better priced full turbo-back exhaust system with as great of quality as this one. You're basically buying a full TBE for the price of a catback or a downpipe, because you're not paying for a silly name brand. When I want to pay for name brands, I take my wife shopping for clothes. Also planning on getting some drive-by recordings at some point, I will update when I do... for now, here's a clip of the first cold start:

https://youtu.be/en8iJ9GdTEo

I have also applied badgeskins to the front and rear VW emblem, the two side badges, and am waiting for one more to come in for my front GTI emblem. I have a whole new black w/ chrome outline GTI emblem for the rear that I stuck on. Again, will have to post pics soon.

EDIT: Here's a pic:

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
What's your suggested method for removing the headlights without removing the bumper? I need to adjust my headlight aim and I really don't want to take the bumper off again.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
You still have to remove all the screws. But whichever side you're working on, just pull that side out enough to let you work on the headlight, instead of pulling the entire bumper off and worrying about disconnecting the fog lights.

The screw in the outer side of the headlight is hardest to get to, but easy if you have an angle adapter to get to it with. A friend of mine recommended just leaving that screw off... I have it like this now, but honestly I wish I would've left it in for peace of mind, since I have a tool that makes it easy to get to. I recommend this tool, it's very nifty! EDIT: That tool broke after a few uses. Trying a different branded one and hoping for better luck.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Did a bit of housecleaning on the first post, and thought I'd post a few pictures I snagged recently.

The detail in these replica headlights are amazing, too bad you can't see the honeycomb pattern on the inside in this shot:

Side Emblem Badgeskin:

She finally looks and sounds a bit like she performs now... mean. Still undecided on if I want the front VW emblem to match the rear, and if I do, which one I want to go with. Gloss black with matte black surround like the front, or Gloss black with chrome surround like the rear?

Pictures of the new CircuitWerks full TBE to come sometime soon after I finish some adjustments of the tips this weekend. Here is the link for the first cold start after install: https://vimeo.com/184779212

Last edited:

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
awesome car OP, well modded :)

I would like to ask if we need to adjust the wastegate position for the IS38 running an ED tune (or is that just an APR thing?)

excuse me if this has been answered in the Eurodyne updates thread, but I've been away from the car scene - and forums - for so long and just got myself an IS38

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
awesome car OP, well modded :)

I would like to ask if we need to adjust the wastegate position for the IS38 running an ED tune (or is that just an APR thing?)

excuse me if this has been answered in the Eurodyne updates thread, but I've been away from the car scene - and forums - for so long and just got myself an IS38

Thank you, and congrats on the IS38! There is nothing to not like about it. I don't believe the shop adjusted my wastegate when the turbo was installed. I haven't had any problems, and when I installed my TBE recently I checked to see if anything was loose, and it was all nice and tight.

I think you should still do it just to be sure, and I would've told the shop to do it had I known about it at the time. Also, I would flash to the stock file, and then to the IS38 file. JMarg had a code pop up when he had is IS38 installed that was resolved by flashing to stock and back to the IS38 file. Don't ask me why :p

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I'm sorta of regretting not doing the side emblems like you did. They look good.

Where did you get the eyelids?

Almost went EBay, but I saw some on AliExpress that looked more... "edgy" instead of curved. Couldn't bring myself to spend over $100 for the Oettinger ones they sell with the grille... that's just silly, they're flippin' eyelids! Here's the link.

The only thing I have against the side badgeskins, is when you clean your car, the microfibers get caught really easily on the sticker and tend to pull it up. I might switch to a full replacement of the side badges in the color I want, rather than the stickers, like these.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I had another thought. What if I get another emblem that is gloss red VW, gloss black background, then put a gloss black badgeskin on it so that it would basically be a gloss black VW with a red outline? Any thoughts? Meh, I'm still leaning toward just matching the way the rear looks. I think it looks great that way.

Last edited:

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the advice :D, will install it hopefully in a month

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well, I dyno'd this past weekend. Honestly disappointed, would've done a few things different, but it was my first dyno so what are you gonna do, lol.

Hit 355/351, wanted at least 360. However, they didn't have the fan working and it was a 30+ minute drive there, so I know heat played a factor. 2nd run saw a huge drop of 49HP, and I have an APR IC. We didn't bother with a 3rd... she definitely needed some moving air. It was about 72 degrees out with 30%-40% humidity.

Looking back I would've let the car sit for at least 30 minutes before jumping on and doing the first pull. I also would've waited at least 10 minutes between pulls. I also would've made sure that they had a flippin' fan on the car. So next time, I'll be sure to actually schedule a full hour so that we can plan ahead, I can show up early, and give the car time to cool off between runs.

ED IS38, 93Oct, APR IC, Catless TBE and stock intake w/ VWR drop in. I'm planning to do another run once I get my full CAI, and I'll make sure they give me a damn fan, too... I'm 90% sure had I let the car cool and didn't just come from a 30min drive with the AC on, and would've had some airflow, I'd be much closer to 365. 370 is the magic number I want after I get the CAI!

Video: https://vimeo.com/188435224