GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
*No longer IS38*

Hello all! I have finally reached too many mods to contain in my signature, so I suppose it's time to start a build thread! This will be for those curious about my build, as well as myself to keep records on my car.

Instagram: @thequebster

This is the first car that I have actually bought, my first VW, and the first time I've delved into the whole car scene and modding. Wow, what have I gotten myself into? It has been an awesome few years of modding and learning so far. What a great car! I bought it in August 2014, and never touched it as far as mods until August of 2015. I then went with Stage 1.5 Eurodyne (birthday gift from wifey!), and after that I caught the mod bug, and have been upgrading ever since. It still blows me away how much power we gain with a simple tune in these cars.

My goal for this car is to be comfortable enough to daily, but mean enough to get out on the track (with turns) and *reliably* do some good work. I do enjoy the occasional Mexico run as well, so I am constantly trying to find the right balance. I likely will never mess with 1/4 mile shenanigans, not really my thing. I realize trying to be a jack of all trades makes you a master of none, but I'm ok with that, as long as I'm having fun!

So far I love it, and it has been a blast on the track! My money has first and foremost gone to (mostly) performance/supporting mods. I don't want to do anything too irreversible as I will want to strip it down and trade it in around when the Mk8's come out (EDIT: Maybe, thinking may hang on to it longer now) (EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, I'm way past this point now :D) (EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: The Mk8's are fugly!!)

So that's the backstory. Anyway, here's the list, which I will edit, add pics, and make everything look pretty as time goes on!

2015 GTI S 6MT Deep Black Pearl - Non-PP, non-LP, base as base can be, then modded to glory!

Current Performance Modifications:

• DBV2 V3 TBB w/ DBV2 TIP
  • Eurodyne Maestro Tuned by Wy2Sl0
  • Wavetrac LSD
  • Precision Raceworks Stage 4 LPFP & MPI (Dual Walbro 450's)
  • Fluidampr Engine Damper
  • CTS Cold Air Intake
  • APR Intercooler
  • DBV2 3.5" Down/mid pipe
  • CircuitWerks V2 Axle-back Exhaust
  • CTS Throttle Pipe
  • Devil's Own DVC-30 Meth Kit w/ DO3 Nozzle (For IATs, controlled by Snow Performance VC-50 Boost gauge/Meth Controller)
  • Spulen V2 Catch Can System
  • Southbend Stage III Endurance Clutch w/ Flywheel
  • Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter (replaces shifter bushings as well)
  • BFI Heavy Weight Shift Knob SCHWARZ - Golf Ball
  • 034 Motorsport Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit
  • HPA Full Dogbone Mount & Arm
  • TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Kit
  • ST XTA Coilovers (DAP version)
  • SuperPro Front and Rear Endlinks
  • 034 Rear Sway Bar
  • 034 Density Line Engine/Trans mounts
  • 034Spherical Rear Trailing Arms
  • Eurocode Front & Rear Chassis Brace
  • Unibrace UBQ Tunnel Brace
  • Stillen APRacing Radi-CAL BBK w/ J-Hooks
  • OEM PP Rear Brakes w/ Matching J-Hooks
  • ECS Stainless Rear Brake Lines
  • Hankook Ventus R-S4's - 255/35/18
  • Neuspeed RSe10's 18x8.5 et45 in Satin Bronze
  • Neuspeed Hi-Flo Discharge Pipe
  • CTS Throttle Pipe
Engine Build:

• IE Tuscan Rods (rifle drilled)
  • IE/Mahle Piston Set
  • IE/Mahle Rod Bearing Set
  • Ferrea Valve Spring Kit
  • Ferrea Intake/Exhaust Valves
  • Head Ported/Polished/Flow benched by Precision Raceworks
  • ARP Head stud kit
Cosmetic Modifications:

• OEM GTI Clubsport bumper imported from the motherland
  • TAW Chicago Carbon Fiber/Perforated Leather Steering Wheel (Sexy AF and feels oh so good...)
  • RFB Headlight Replicas w/ Animated Turn Signal :cool:
    • RFB 6000k HID Bulbs
  • RFB License Plate LEDs
  • RFB Automatic Headlight Conversion Kit w/ Euro Switch
  • LLumar CTX Tint, 30% Front (Including the small triangle windows), 15% Rear, AIR 80% Windshield (Legal for Tx)
  • OEM Euro GTI LED Tail Lights w/ Wiring Harness for Amber Turn Signal
  • deAutoKey Color Changing LED Floor Lights (Love me some Ambiance, Set to Dark Blue, think it looks better than red)
  • deAutoKey Reverse LEDs
  • "Oettinger" Grille w/ Normal VW emblem w/ glossy black badgeskin (it's Chinese, not gonna lie)
  • Badgeskins for all VW and GTI emblems, including sides
Other "Mods":

VCDS "Mods":

• Soundaktor off
  • Windows up/down with key fob
  • ECS off with long hold of button
  • Disabled lighting restriction so fogs stay on with high beams
  • Euro LED tails amber turn signal light programming
  • Carbon look on MFD
  • Side mirror dip on reverse
  • Changed comfort blinking to 4
  • XDS off due to Wavetrac
Feel free to PM or post below with any questions! I have learned a ton working on this car and would be happy to share my knowledge.

Cheers!

I will add more pics as I take them here:

Phone Charger:

Brakes before and after:

LED Floor Lights:

Bass Level Knob (Before I installed my other phone charger):

One of my favorites. During this session, shop installed IS38, Clutch, Intercooler, Wavetrac, CTS DV, Charge Pipes, flushed out/cleaned engine, and more:

New CircuitWerks Exhaust:

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, Sandman, will do! Honestly, I'm undecided as far as lip/spoiler. I do like the Oettinger stuff though, especially the spoiler.

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
I propose an edit:
DIY PP
:)

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Is that better? [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PP+
FTW!
[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I said good-bye to the RocEuro CAI last night, sold it off and am currently running stock air box with a drop in VWR filter. I'm planning on purchasing IE's CAI whenever it is released. I loved the sound of the RocEuro, but I am wanting a closed intake due to IATs, and IE makes quality stuff.

Also had the HPA Dogbone installed yesterday, and man, what a difference. Feels much better than just the 034 insert, which actually cracked (early revision) and my engine was very jerky lately, until installing this HPA dogbone. It's nice and stiff/responsive now, but there is definitealy some added NVH (my whole car shook for a few seconds at first) and you can feel it in idle with the A/C on. Honestly I like the feel. Makes me feel like I'm in a super car :D But also, I am sure the NVH will decrease dramatically as the mount is broken in.

EDIT: NVH decreased dramatically after a "break in" of a few hundred miles on the HPA Mount. I don't notice it at all anymore, it definitely isn't rough like it was on first start up after install.

Should also be buying the Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shifter today.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Request for a full IS38 review after it's broken in! :)

Will do, unfortunately there don't seem to be as many consistent cruises out here like there were in Cali, and there is no canyon run at the end of every month that really let me put her to the test. She's finally ready to rip, but I haven't had a chance to rip it yet. I think next month I am going to get myself a helmet and start trying to get to some autocross events, and start gonig to hopefully at least a couple of track days a year.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
It's an exciting time for the cosmetics of the car. While I swore to finish the performance and reliability mods first, I got carried away one night and bought all sorts of little cosmetic things. I've decided to have all of my emblems be black with chrome outline (because I still love the chrome). So I've ordered the GTI emblem like this for the front and back, I've ordered some "badgeskins" for the front and rear VW that will make it like this, and I've also ordered some red side badges with black lettering and outline instead of chrome. I've also ordered an Oettinger grille. Lots of stuff!

Of course, what I'm most excited about are my RFB Replica Headlights that came in the other day. This is why I got the Oettinger grille as well... because the red stripe in replica headlights doesn't match up with the OEM non-LP grille's red stripe. Not sure when I'm going to get the headlights installed... the bulbs come in Thursday, but I have family over this weekend so it will likely have to wait.

My grille and GTI emblems will probably take a few weeks to arrive. Exciting times! Also, I'm still waiting for 034 to release their engine and trans mounts.

Cheers!

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
Damnnnnnnnnn... U went from no mods to modded out!!! Very nice, and very expensive:D

Is that shop in Dallas that did the work for you? May have to check it out. Would be awesome to see/hear about a direct comparison between a PP and your non-PP :eek: .....well that didn't come out right.. U know what i mean ...lol

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Damnnnnnnnnn... U went from no mods to modded out!!! Very nice, and very expensive:D

Is that shop in Dallas that did the work for you? May have to check it out. Would be awesome to see/hear about a direct comparison between a PP and your non-PP :eek: .....well that didn't come out right.. U know what i mean ...lol

Thanks! Yeah I changed quite a bit at once... and yep! Shop that has been taking excellent care of me is called ZinkWerks in the DFW area. They are top-notch, and look out for their customers, I couldn't recommend them enough. I let them do all the big stuff :)

The thing about my "non-PP" though, is that it is basically "PP+" since I do have the same PP brakes, but I do have a better LSD. The mechanical Wavetrac is better than the PP's electronic torque-sensing LSD. :)

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Quick update, installed Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shifter. It feels great, but still not where I want it, mostly because I can't get a good alignment because the shifter alignment locking mechanism thingy is broken in the engine bay. So that sucks. I also preordered a BFI weighted shift knob of the golf ball design, pretty excited about that.

My wonderful wife bought me my RFB replica headlights that I've been wanting, she is awesome. I ended up getting the RFB 6000k HID kit instead of those shitty Amazon LEDs... The LEDs have a fan, and installation instructions said to keep the dust cover off the headlight fixture so they could properly vent. I said ef that and sent them back, not ruining my headlights by leaving it exposed to the environment. The RFB bulbs come with a rubber grommet with the wires pre-ran through for perfect fitment and sealing. Hopefully I'll be installing the headlights this week. Also got a euro switch and auto headlight conversion with them.

Uhhh what else... Installed an Oettinger grille, I think it looks slick. I went ahead and got it in preparation for matching the red line of the headlights. I put a matte black VW emblem on it and put a badgeskin on it, so the actual V and W are glossy black. I'll attach a better pic when the car is clean :) also put on the rear badgeskin sticker on the rear emblem, and it looks really slick. Waiting for them to come in for the sides, rear and front GTI emblems to complete the look. The only thing is, the front emblem doesn't match since its glossy black VW with matte black outline, while the rear and all other emblems will be glossy black with chrome outline. We'll see once I finish with the emblems and get the headlights installed what I think.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Would also like to add that the HPA Dogbone NVH decreased dramatically once it broke in a bit. I don't notice it anymore, but it does give a slight vibration to the cabin that isn't uncomfortable, in fact, I'd say it's desirable. It makes you feel more connected with the car. So two thumbs up for the HPA dogbone!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
RFB headlights and bulbs are officially installed!! Just did it tonight, man they transform the look of the car.

I started by removing the bumper, which I would later find wasn't necessary, but the DAP vid told me to! [emoji38]

Halogens off!

RFB's on! Out of daylight!!

Awwww yeah!
https://vimeo.com/183605194