GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

diegot

Now that's all great and good. But I really f'ked myself on this next piece. I was missing the bolt for the knuckle/spindle on my front driver-side suspension, that bolts the spindle down onto the strut. And I totally forgot that I needed to put it on. So... I drove around some without that bolt on, and when I put the car in the air to fix the water pump, this is what I find:

I had the same experience two months ago, but was much worse. I was on track and hit a curb. The wheel got stuck inside the fender and the bumper hit the ground.
Was a huge scare. A bunch of parts broken, lot of money to fix the car.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I had the same experience two months ago, but was much worse. I was on track and hit a curb. The wheel got stuck inside the fender and the bumper hit the ground.
Was a huge scare. A bunch of parts broken, lot of money to fix the car.
Sweet jebus!! That is insane. Sure glad mine didn’t get that far. I’m sure mine plowed through the spindle from hitting a bump as well but just cruising down a city road. I definitely had to of forgotten to put that bolt in through the spindle. I’m glad I had to raise the car to work on the water pump or who knows when I would’ve noticed, and maybe had what happened to you happen to me at some point!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Mk7 is back together again. Water pump is replaced and the suspension stuffs is all replaced as well. Different spindle/strut installed. Axle CV boot replaced... that was cool by the way. The axle is just a bunch of giant ball bearings and a ton of grease:

IMG_1889(1).JPG

IMG_1895(1).JPG

Just have to figure out what is making so much noise in the rear suspension.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The saga (nightmare) continues.
Where was Diggs when you need him to recommend parting out?
Might have been appropriate in this case

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The saga (nightmare) continues.
Where was Diggs when you need him to recommend parting out?
Might have been appropriate in this case
I am numb at this point 😂 I have already "parted out" all the performance parts and made some good money back. I assume you're talking about a REAL part out. lol I suppose that is always an option..

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Mk7 is running nice and smooth for the moment. Fixed the noises in the back. Same buddy that didn't tighten the brake caliper bolts on the rear corner also didn't tighten any of the suspension bolts when we all swapped out the ST coilovers for stock + VWR lowering springs. I just redid the entire corner to be safe. No more noise!

Car is still a joy to drive. It's funny, the shifter has never been so damn smooth. I think that Diesel Geek short shifter made it too notchy.

Currently it has stock shifter, Black Forest weighted knob, 034 cable bracket bushings, ECS stainless clutch line + their bleeder block, OEM fluid, and man, it is butter. I mean butter!

Needs an alignment, inspection, and a nice interior/exterior/engine bay detail, and she'll be ready to sell.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Awesome build and good luck with the sale!

I got a question about your CS bumper though as I'm considering getting one my self.
Did you keep or relocate you wiper fluid reservoir to put the bumper on? And was it tough to put the bumper on?
Only asking as I didn't see too much combing through post on the install.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Awesome build and good luck with the sale!

I got a question about your CS bumper though as I'm considering getting one my self.
Did you keep or relocate you wiper fluid reservoir to put the bumper on? And was it tough to put the bumper on?
Only asking as I didn't see too much combing through post on the install.
The bumper bolts right on, no need to move wiper fluid reservoir. Only thing it interferes with slightly is the passenger-side horn. You just bend it out of the way and you're good to go.

Appreciate the kind wishes. I think I'm actually going to be keeping the Mk7 as a daily. The tire money for the ZLE would be nice, but it's just such a good and fun daily at Stage 2 power. Hell, might even throw an IS38 back on at some point. And if anything breaks, I can pull it apart forwards and backwards at this point. Going to be selling the Mk4 for sure, just hope I can find someone willing to spend asking price on a Mk4 that runs extremely well... other than burning oil. lol

This decision was largely influenced by finding out the wifey is preggers a few weeks ago. The practicality of having a 4-door hatch that should be pretty reliable at this point, plus it being fun to drive still, makes me want to keep it forever. :D

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
The bumper bolts right on, no need to move wiper fluid reservoir. Only thing it interferes with slightly is the passenger-side horn. You just bend it out of the way and you're good to go.

Appreciate the kind wishes. I think I'm actually going to be keeping the Mk7 as a daily. The tire money for the ZLE would be nice, but it's just such a good and fun daily at Stage 2 power. Hell, might even throw an IS38 back on at some point. And if anything breaks, I can pull it apart forwards and backwards at this point. Going to be selling the Mk4 for sure, just hope I can find someone willing to spend asking price on a Mk4 that runs extremely well... other than burning oil. lol

This decision was largely influenced by finding out the wifey is preggers a few weeks ago. The practicality of having a 4-door hatch that should be pretty reliable at this point, plus it being fun to drive still, makes me want to keep it forever. :D
Congrats on the baby news and now you have to change the title again to the never ending story. 😃

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Congrats on the baby news and now you have to change the title again to the never ending story. 😃

We can just have the admins and zrick change his title 😂

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
😂 Thanks guys, sorry for being so damn indecisive with this thing. I've had it 6 years now, and it should be a great lil' daily for years to come!