GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
The m340 is the one to own IMO. Return to grace for bmw

Wow, yeah that m340i looks to be a little monster especially with a tune. I’d have to go xDrive where I’m at. I’m seeing a few 2020s with less than 10k miles for high 40s. Nice.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Quebster's is the first that I've seen where a blade in a DBV2 broke off on its own. Every other issue that I've seen has been FOD, as much as people want to make jokes about it, in the end it wasn't the turbo's fault.

I don't know why people are acting like all DBV2 turbos are falling apart when you had a mass production recall for EQT turbos that were defective and falling apart in the beginning. Littco was another known one, in the beginning, for not being reliable yet you don't hear people joking about those.

Probably because there have been a significant number of failures this year, posted on other forums, seen in person etc. I think most of the issues I’ve heard of are on the newer models. Maybe something has changed in his supply chain.

Either way these hybrids probably aren’t as highly engineered as they should be. Like someone else said, pick one and roll the dice.

So when is the massive part out happening?👀

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Part out sort of started yesterday, I got the car on the lift and warmed it up one last time to run compression and leak down checks. Cyl1 still seems to be the problem child and probably the reason for blowby like we discussed. It looks like it may be worse. I will be sure to take a good look at it when I get the head off.

Compression:
Cyl 1: 160
Cyl 2: 175
Cyl 3: 165
Cyl 4: 170

Leak down, leakage % @ 100psi:
Cyl 1: 15%
Cyl 2: ~0%
Cyl 3: ~0%
Cyl 4: ~0%

Not sure I feel good trying to sell the block like that, especially if it's actually getting worse. May have to just sell the rods/pistons, assuming they're ok, and figure something else out with the block.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Though my builder thinks if it were rings or something like that related to Cyl 1 then it would be smoking like a chimney all the time. I don't know.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Part out sort of started yesterday, I got the car on the lift and warmed it up one last time to run compression and leak down checks. Cyl1 still seems to be the problem child and probably the reason for blowby like we discussed. It looks like it may be worse. I will be sure to take a good look at it when I get the head off.

Compression:
Cyl 1: 160
Cyl 2: 175
Cyl 3: 165
Cyl 4: 170

Leak down, leakage % @ 100psi:
Cyl 1: 15%
Cyl 2: ~0%
Cyl 3: ~0%
Cyl 4: ~0%

Not sure I feel good trying to sell the block like that, especially if it's actually getting worse. May have to just sell the rods/pistons, assuming they're ok, and figure something else out with the block.
Probably not worth the labour to remove rods and pistons. Unless you’re determined to return it to stock internals, it may be more cost to effective to sell as is, and part out all the bolt ons and the cosmetic mods.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Was there someone here interested in my entire Precion Raceworks fuel system? Need to scroll back through. I'm finally pricing out everything and got close to being ready to pull the motor out last night

IMG_0961 (Edited).JPG

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! what did I miss? :(

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The ported head is for sale btw, includes Ferrea valves and valve spring kit. $2k shipped? It costs $1500 to port, which doesn't include the price for the Ferrea valves and valve spring kit, and they keep your core. I don't need your core. So if anyone is interested let me know, will ship to the continental US!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! what did I miss? :(
A man being broken by his machine!