GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
What type of oil pan do you use? Maybe if not baffled oil pushes up and forward under hard braking plugging the oildrains from the head and forcing it out the PCV.
He's filling the catch can in 2-3 Dyno pulls. Meaning his car is stationary. Check out the quote at the bottom of this post for the details. Definitely something is odd here. Really hope Quebster is able to solve the mystery ??

It should've arrived there today. So should have something in a couple of days I think. It's going to be bad....... *Snip*
Very curious what they find ?

Quote as promised...
Well boys it was fun while it lasted ? *A new challenger has appeared!* Spulen V2 PCV plate decided to suck liters of oil out of the head, causing low oil pressure and sending all that oil back into the turbo, destroying it on the 2nd day. Timeline:

Friday (Nov 8th) and before:
  • We did several street logs for tuning adjustments before the dyno tune session, all while using stock/OEM PCV with no issues.
  • Night before dyno tuning session (Thurs), I throw on Spulen v2 PCV plate
  • On dyno (Friday), tech finds the catch can is full after 2-3 pulls (WTF!) We suck it out and complete dyno tuning, netting 522whp/440wtq on heartbreaker dyno
    • I'm hoping it's some weird condition with being on the dyno
  • No time to think about this, already passed time commitments to get the car on a transport, split with a buddy, to ship the car up to the racetrack, 4.5 hours north (Hallett), which is why dyno was cut short (since they took 1.5 hours just to get it started). I pack my OEM PCV just in case
Saturday:
  • Track day starts on Saturday. Having a great time, but find that the catch can is full after every session, so I have to empty it after every session
  • No smoking however
  • Finish day, no real issues noticed, but didn't REALLY check everything over (regret, but was exhausted)
  • Buddies telling me they know big turbo people and they fill the can all the time so I don't really put a ton of thought into it other than "I'm going to have to fix this later because this is ridiculous having to dump this thing after every session"
Sunday:
  • 2nd day, get a random low oil pressure fault, restart car and it's gone, go through session 1 "fine" but notice boost is a little inconsistent
  • Session 2, boost is starting to really get inconsistent, after 3 laps go into super limp mode where you can't rev over 4000 RPM, we were planning to leave at noon so I call it a day at this point
  • Find that catch can was FULL after only 3 LAPS, meaning after just a few pulls, the rest of the oil was going straight to the turbo! And I had tracked hard 3 sessions the day prior
  • Find CEL fault for camshaft position along with boost faults, so thinking low pressure caused tensioner to lose tension and timing jumped
  • Pull off intake and find:
View attachment 159993
  • Turbo definitely botched at this point but no choice but to try and drive 4.5 hours home with it
  • Babied it and made it 2.5 ? but turbo finally seized and I lose all power... trailered home hours later
  • Pull off turbo this past weekend, plenty of shinies in discharge pipe, shinies in oil filter, and exhaust camshaft timing is off by a tooth (good since it's not enough to damage anything, bad because I have to re-do timing)
So yeah, that was my track weekend, trial by fire, right? Everything was great.... and the supposed end-all-be-all Spulen V2 PCV destroyed my car.

The good news is Dan is going to repair my turbo for free, even though the turbo isn't at fault. Pretty cool, and that was my main worry. Everything else is just time. Turbo is already off, shipping tomorrow. I have to pull my entire charge system out and thoroughly clean it. Have to re-do timing, again. I've got a few months to get it done since it's going to be too cold to enjoy the car anyway.

Honestly I had a f'kin blast and am not too upset thanks to Dan, and my buddies driving an hour and a half with a trailer to get me. It was a terrible day that was saved by the kindness of good people.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Right, oil pan. Using OEM for now. But yeah can filled on a dyno like ATR said. Also Ed from EQT seems to have disproved baffled oil pans making any difference on our cars. I dunno.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys,

Sorry, I took a bit of a hiatus from the car over the winter. It's been a nice break, but it's about time to get back to work. I snagged an IS20 (lol) for $150 from my local shop that I'm going to throw on in the meantime so I can get some tests done on the GTI and make sure the engine is healthy. Might even make a track day or two with it, who knows. Car is exactly where I left her currently... I still need to pull off all piping, intercooler, oil pan, and clean it all out.

I have an RSF radiator coming in tomorrow, so that'll give me a reason to get the GTI going again. Maybe this next weekend I'll get back to work on it... though maybe not. Gotta be honest guys, I'm tired of it at the moment. Lots of work for little return last couple years.

I could've had another DBV2 V2 turbo by now, but I decided to wait for Dan to design a V3. Same hybrid with a bigger compressor wheel, basically. Designs are finished and we're waiting on manufacturing... hence me just snagging a cheapo IS20 for now so I can at least troubleshoot and have a little fun with the car, hopefully :)

The Spulen ticket is ongoing. Found that one of the baffle pull-out things inside the plate was put in upside down, though I'm not sure that would be enough to cause the issue I had.

Blackstone oil analysis was decent, no fuel or coolant in the oil, but a good amount of metal as expected, though it didn't sound terrible. Hoping it's the turbo and not metal from the motor, lol. Those of you familiar with oil analytics, feel free to take a peak and let me know what you think:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkqZicVFDi5N5mAajADHa8lu-kQx?e=v5o3Ah
Anywho. I'll try to get her running in the next couple weeks. Wish me luck.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Alright well I finally got motivated seeing my buddies doing track days already, so I started on the car yesterday. Plenty of metal in the oil pan, which was expected, but there were also 6 ball bearings. Interesthing thing is Dan (DBV2) says my turbo still had all its ball bearings. Sooo... wtf? Engine doesn't have any ball bearings anywhere best I know... roller bearings yes, but not ball bearings... Looking for insight here if anyone has any, because this is a little wild.

IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

Anywho, got my pipes cleaned and intercooler is soaking in solvent as we speak. Plenty of turbo shrapnel in the inlet of the intercooler (which is a "good" thing...)

Used CSF rad is here. I also purchased the CSF auxiliary rad. I'm going to hook up the aux rad on the passenger side just like it is on the Golf R. With the Clubsport bumper, the ducting is there for the air. Between the CSF rad and aux rad, I'll be very surprised if I can't keep coolant temps down on track.

IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

Will do a write-up of attatching the aux rad to a GTI. Waiting on all the OEM parts to come in to support it, should actually be pretty straight forward. Also ordered Wortec oil pan from USP.

It's possible I'll have a new DBV2 within the next couple weeks as well. Maybe I can get her running this weekend with the IS20 and can run all my tests. We'll see!

IMG_0153.JPG

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Did you have a BB turbo before the DBV2?
Nope! Dan is absolutely confident that they aren't from the turbo, but there is literally nothing else it could be. So for now I'm just playing it off as "the car is cursed" and moving on.

How did you get your charge pipes cleaned?
I just ran brake cleaner through them, ezpz. Intercooler is trickier since it has all the channels for the air to go through. It's actually still soaking and I'm going to leave it over the weekend.

So, won't have the car running this weekend. But, I got all the stuff I need for the aux rad, so I'm going to start hooking that up, as well as possibly go ahead and throw the IS20 on. That way, when my IC is done soaking, I just have to throw that and the rad back on and fire her up. So this next week for sure, I should have a running Mk7. Then we pray to the car gods that my motor is ok.

Things are looking good on the DBV2 V3 side as well so far. Might have that shortly after! Then it's back to dyno tuning :D

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Nope! Dan is absolutely confident that they aren't from the turbo, but there is literally nothing else it could be. So for now I'm just playing it off as "the car is cursed" and moving on.
*SNIP*
did the turbo still spin freely when you took it out?

There are a few other things that it could be from. The exhaust cam slides left to right and has locking ball bearings that hold the cam in place. I'm pretty sure that there are some roller bearings someplace else in the engine.

Page 14 on the self study guide here shows the bearings that I'm talking about...
https://www.carworklog.com/stuff/SSP/SSP 522 - The 2.0-liter 162 kW 169 kW TSI engine.pdf

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Didn't you have a EFR 7163 before the DBV2 or am I getting my members mixed up?

Yep, you got it! I couldn't get the wastegate to function properly with the EFR7163. I'm not sure the guy I sold it to has had much luck either.

did the turbo still spin freely when you took it out?

There are a few other things that it could be from. The exhaust cam slides left to right and has locking ball bearings that hold the cam in place. I'm pretty sure that there are some roller bearings someplace else in the engine.

Page 14 on the self study guide here shows the bearings that I'm talking about...
https://www.carworklog.com/stuff/SSP/SSP 522 - The 2.0-liter 162 kW 169 kW TSI engine.pdf

So I knew there were some larger "bearings" that are used like a valve, like the one there on Page 14 that you're talking about.. I haven't found any smaller ball bearings anywhere in the engine like the ones I found in the oil pan. I've asked a bunch of knowledgeable people, too. But the more confirmation the better.

No, the turbo did not spin when I took it out. It was jammed.

Got the cleaned-out intercooler, CSF rad, and CSF aux rad mostly hooked up last night! Just have to work on getting a line routed from the coolant pump to the aux rad. I can't use OEM lines for it due to not having the Golf R fan shroud, and one tiny hose that comes off the pump isn't sold individually.