GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Good God. I'm sorry for those of you viewing this on your PC. Tapatalk is the only good way I can upload pics on here but it looks like it's uploading them in full res and I can't even fit them on my 27" screen when viewing on PC, lol

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Just need 30 mins to button up and time to start. Got that thic 3.5” DP from DBV2 but the tail doesn’t fit with my current axle back, so going to have to get to an exhaust shop and get her all fixed up. Open DP until then! [emoji23]

Also waiting for his next batch of turbo inlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Got the car started tonight. Sounds real healthy. Dan (DBV2) isn't happy with the upper limit value for the actuator measurements and is worried my ECU is just being funky. The open/close in slo-mo is still really rough, too. So, we'll see. Going to try and run it before messing with anything, hoping it's fine.

Planning to go to an exhaust shop in the morning if I can and get the axle back mated to this thic DP. If I can get that done then I'll start logging. I'm too embarrassed to run it open DP, lol. Wish me luck.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Good luck. Just read your thread and I really really hope it works...

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Muffler shop couldn’t get to it today but has it on the rack for first thing in the morning. Hopefully tomorrow (today now) we can start getting logs.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So, some good news!

Wastegate issue that has plagued me all year.... gone! WG is shutting just fine so far on the DBV2. YUGE sigh of relief there. We're only at 30 PSI currently and will be 35+, but on the EFR I would have this issue even at 26 PSI and less.

However, boost is dropping much quicker than anticipated. We saw this with the EFR, too, but attributed it to the actuator not closing the WG. Except now, my actuator can actually close the gate when the ECU commands it to.

I spoke at length with Robert of Precision Raceworks who did my head porting, and he had spoken with Jeff and Frank over at UM about it as well, which was really cool of him. They explained that they expect around a 5psi drop on the top end with a ported head. It's not that it isn't making power when the PSI drops, it's just that since the head is ported, there is less restriction, which means less PSI (pressure). Just because there is less pressure, doesn't mean that the same or more air volume isn't getting pushed to the engine.

So, we are going to start tuning and see what happens. We should be able to get a good idea of performance from Dragy, and I will dyno once we finish the E85 file.

Btw, this also explains why I had so many issues with the electronic actuator on the EFR whereas others haven't.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
First time in over a year I have felt confident enough to put the skid plate back on [emoji23][emoji23]

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
nice. Congrats! Sell me your turbo and clubsport bumper when you part out and go MK8 :)

Haha! Funny you should say that, I watched some idiot put his tow hitch into my bumper today while parallel parking. Idiot had 10 feet in front of him but just kept backing up. Left a nice little square indention and scratch in my beloved Clubsport bumper. [emoji34]

Also no point in going to the Mk8 for me! Mk7 is paid off and the Mk8 is the same chassis and motor. Lol. Zero point.

Navi

Autocross Champion
damn, did you get his info? Get his insurance to replace the clubsport bumper and sell . me the dented one LOLLLL

I actually watched some guy in a lifted silverado with back up sensors AND rear camera try to parallel park. He ended up hitting the jetta behind him THREE times while passerby's on the sidewalk kept yelling at him to stop. Then he gets out the car and they were like "you hit that car three times!" He just shrugged his shoulders and walked in the restaurant lol.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
damn, did you get his info? Get his insurance to replace the clubsport bumper and sell . me the dented one LOLLLL

I actually watched some guy in a lifted silverado with back up sensors AND rear camera try to parallel park. He ended up hitting the jetta behind him THREE times while passerby's on the sidewalk kept yelling at him to stop. Then he gets out the car and they were like "you hit that car three times!" He just shrugged his shoulders and walked in the restaurant lol.
They should have just shrugged and keyed his truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Bumper will be taken care of, don't worry. So, some great news. I found two massive boost leaks the other night. I fixed those up, no more boost leaks, tested up to 42 psi. I also found 3 coolant leaks and fixed. Really productive night the other night.

Car absolutely screams. Pump file still has more in it, but we are dipping to 32psi at 7500 instead of 28psi now, which is great. Target is 34 currently. We spike 38, hold 34, and are at 32 by 7500, lol. It's wild. This definitely falls in line with the 5 psi drop that UM states is expected with a ported head.

Filled up with E85 last night, 12 gallons, so still a gallon of 93 in. That put me at E73. Going to mash around a bit and fill back up. It's chilly here and I can no longer keep the front tires from spinning, lol. It is absolutely ripping. Trying to get some logs tonight / tomorrow and then we'll start fine tuning the E85 file.

So far, everything is going great. Will keep updating.